E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Carbon Fiber Trunks on Ebay

01-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i M-Tech

Carbon Fiber Trunks on Ebay

Anyone buy a carbon fiber hood on Ebay ... I was thinking about the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...Q5fAccessories

They are located quite close to me however I am worried abt fitment.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

You are not concerned about back impact protection? I would be..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
you going to run into fitment issues
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
Yeah that is my main concern ...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
SoCal BimMn'
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: LCI AW F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post

+1

If your gonna pay that price I would rather hit up one of the vendors here on the forums. I'm sure they'd be able to get better quality stuff and help you with installing it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I'd stick with Vorsteiner given that they are proven fit and finish. Their products are 100% pre preg dry vacuum form carbon fiber which results in a stronger and more uniform weave. It's more expensive than what you find on Ebay but for peace of mind I would pay the extra to get a quality part.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I'd stick with Vorsteiner given that they are proven fit and finish. Their products are 100% pre preg dry vacuum form carbon fiber which results in a stronger and more uniform weave. It's more expensive than what you find on Ebay but for peace of mind I would pay the extra to get a quality part.
The only problem is I have to ship the Vorsteiner trunk all the way from CA ... and that will cost. They also take time to make and order - and I hate waiting.

What is the price on the Vorsteiner trunk?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

If you have a prelci car you should have your stereo amp in the trunk. If the crappy fitting trunk leaks you'll fry it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

I cannot believe this shit. This trunk is the same trunk that is sold by vendors here. Only 1 manufacturer in China does this trunk... I bought it from a vendor here, its actually Carbon8 trunk and the fitment is very good. Don't say you run in fitment problems with eBay products when there are posts here with horor stories involving Vorsteiner. Just say "Why buy from eBay when you can buy from a vendor and support this forum in the same time?"
      01-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Hi View Post
I cannot believe this shit. This trunk is the same trunk that is sold by vendors here. Only 1 manufacturer in China does this trunk... I bought it from a vendor here, its actually Carbon8 trunk and the fitment is very good. Don't say you run in fitment problems with eBay products when there are posts here with horor stories involving Vorsteiner. Just say "Why buy from eBay when you can buy from a vendor and support this forum in the same time?"
The major vendor here even has the same picture on his add as the eBay item.
Before I found this forum I bought all my stuff from eBay. With most items there were no issues. Now i'm buying from vendors which in return support this forum to gain valuable info about my car issues instead of paying stealerships.
      01-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #11
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Hi View Post
Heres the LCI one yes they all use the same manufacturers in Taiwan or China. its nature of the business folks. all will have same issue just how you adjsut it. some are gettinng better but i have seen pics from DD are exactly on ebay, same JL motoring which has some nice products but he's the same vendor seen on ebay and his price are consistent. i think he has is own plant that only manufactures his products but thats just a guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...#ht_9403wt_941
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep

btw

your from China, can you do a fitment test? much different from buying from the US or you tricking us into going to your website? lol jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepergm View Post
Anyone buy a carbon fiber hood on Ebay ... I was thinking about the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...Q5fAccessories

They are located quite close to me however I am worried abt fitment.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtheebmw View Post
your from China, can you do a fitment test? much different from buying from the US or you tricking us into going to your website? lol jk
hahaha .... no. I live in Hong Kong ... so can't really test fit it since the trunk is somewhere in mainland China ... I am still deciding whether or not to buy one. Its moving into positive territory though - so might just take one for the team and test one.

And it won't take that long to reach me either - which is a positive.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep

if ur concern

Quote:
hahaha .... no. I live in Hong Kong ... so can't really test fit it since the trunk is somewhere in mainland China ... I am still deciding whether or not to buy one. Its moving into positive territory though - so might just take one for the team and test one.

And it won't take that long to reach me either - which is a positive.
about fitment.. u should check out Project Ms Performance CSL Trunk Lid. Unsure when its released but guaranteed fitment but it's a cover that goes over your oem trunk
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
psre08
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46

I would be concerned with their transportation clause.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
sole cal
Black Mamba
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
You are not concerned about back impact protection? I would be..
thats the first time i heard that
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #17
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered one ... cross my fingers. I will let everyone know how it goes. Shipping came out to 40 USD so that was cheap. Total $620.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Victorious
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM F30

<- is subscribing to this thread for updates
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok fellas ... got the trunk and just installed it at the paint shop to check for fitment ...

And I was really surprised ... it fits 98% ... really good actually. The only place where it is slightly off is at the top right point - its probably 2mm off there. But very acceptable.

I highly doubt Vorsteiner would be better ... it would have to be perfect literally.

The carbon weave is uniform and good all around.

As for shipping it was packed ok - I checked the whole trunk and there was a small mark on the tips of the top of the trunk ... but that is not going to make any difference to me since I am painting it white.

All in all I would say go ahead if you want to get one ... I am happy with it so far and I am really hard to please. The guy at the bodyshop called me down to check fitment and he said it is the best he has seen ...

I will post up pictures when it comes out of the paint shop ...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Ok fellas ... got the trunk and just installed it at the paint shop to check for fitment ...

And I was really surprised ... it fits 98% ... really good actually. The only place where it is slightly off is at the top right point - its probably 2mm off there. But very acceptable.

I highly doubt Vorsteiner would be better ... it would have to be perfect literally.

The carbon weave is uniform and good all around.

As for shipping it was packed ok - I checked the whole trunk and there was a small mark on the tips of the top of the trunk ... but that is not going to make any difference to me since I am painting it white.

All in all I would say go ahead if you want to get one ... I am happy with it so far and I am really hard to please. The guy at the bodyshop called me down to check fitment and he said it is the best he has seen ...

I will post up pictures when it comes out of the paint shop ...
Good to hear! I too ordered a CSL trunk, but in FRP, not carbon. I'm wondering about the type of use it can see without breaking down. I tend to use my trunk on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

is this available at **********s.com as well? i wonder if this trunk has fitment better than **********s trunk.

and if shipping is bit lower it seems like a good deal.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
klove83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Good to hear! I too ordered a CSL trunk, but in FRP, not carbon. I'm wondering about the type of use it can see without breaking down. I tend to use my trunk on a daily basis.
Which ebay seller are you buying from?