XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

01-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
MissFortune
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

Ugh... HID fog lights

Okay... Got the new black trim installed on my car today and while the bumper was off, I had them install HID fog lights so everything was fine on the way home and then drove it tonight and error lights are going off all the time AND my right fog light isn't even working right now.

I'm seriously annoyed. The place I'm getting all this stuff done is an hour away. I've been out there 3 times already. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I can't continue driving with the errors. Do I have to have my old bulbs reinstalled? Can I take it to BMW to get fixed or do I have to go all the way out to this shop?

Are HID fog light errors inevitable? It's so annoying!!!

Thanks.

I'll post new photos of my new black trim work and new tint tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
MissFortune
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

put the stock fogs back in and had to take it to BMW for them to check out the issue. error cancelers should do the trick. the HID's look so much better, can't wait to have them installed again.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
I don't know how much reading you have done on this. I have always posted that people should NOT get HID fogs. First of all, they will look ridiculous because the glare emitting from them will blind any oncoming traffic. Second, on the X5 your lights turn on as a marker when you make a turn. Third, I tried 4 different HID setups on my E92 fogs. Every single one of them claimed to be error free, and they all burned out, gave errors and one setup even completely melted. I know how to do this work all myself. One more reason for you not to do it is that you're having to pay someone to do it. What will you do when a bulb or ballast goes bad, and believe me they will. Are you going to keep driving and paying someone to fix it ? Get yourself a nice set of bulbs and be done with it. Lot less hassle, no problems frying components and you won't be blinding anyone driving down the road. Also, it's a good idea for you, or your BF/husband to learn sime things like swapping bulbs. It will save you a lot of time and money. You can alwaysask or search, and you'll find the info on these forums.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
MissFortune
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
I don't know how much reading you have done on this. I have always posted that people should NOT get HID fogs. First of all, they will look ridiculous because the glare emitting from them will blind any oncoming traffic. Second, on the X5 your lights turn on as a marker when you make a turn. Third, I tried 4 different HID setups on my E92 fogs. Every single one of them claimed to be error free, and they all burned out, gave errors and one setup even completely melted. I know how to do this work all myself. One more reason for you not to do it is that you're having to pay someone to do it. What will you do when a bulb or ballast goes bad, and believe me they will. Are you going to keep driving and paying someone to fix it ? Get yourself a nice set of bulbs and be done with it. Lot less hassle, no problems frying components and you won't be blinding anyone driving down the road. Also, it's a good idea for you, or your BF/husband to learn sime things like swapping bulbs. It will save you a lot of time and money. You can alwaysask or search, and you'll find the info on these forums.
Thanks for the info. Going back to stock. Thankfully, I have over 2 more years on the extended warranty so I'll let BMW take care of all the bulb changing. Thank God!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
If you ever need to change one yourself, ask on this forum. There are plenty of write ups and it's a lot easier than you think. But the HID fogs were a really bad idea. I threw away so much money trying to get them to work properly in my E92, and like I said, it all ended up in the trash.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
MissFortune
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
If you ever need to change one yourself, ask on this forum. There are plenty of write ups and it's a lot easier than you think. But the HID fogs were a really bad idea. I threw away so much money trying to get them to work properly in my E92, and like I said, it all ended up in the trash.
sucks. they looked so nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

... so freakin irratating. Everytime I get close to selecting a bulb, I'm reading about errors and crap. Geesh man. Can't we just get a dang WHITE bulb - matching set - that installs and we drive away ... happy!? Is that so hard to ask for?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
I have a Porsche Cayenne, and am not sure if the X5 would have the same problem, but I know that I can't swap out the stock fog bulbs with HIDS because when I take the car through water (and I do actually go 4wd'ing with the Cayenne regularly) for river crossings the ballasts would get wet and potentially have further problems. For the headlights however, they are housed in a waterproof module so no danger of that occuring.

However most drivers of X5s, Cayennes etc... will never venture off road with their cars and this probably isn't a concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
I have a Porsche Cayenne, and am not sure if the X5 would have the same problem, but I know that I can't swap out the stock fog bulbs with HIDS because when I take the car through water (and I do actually go 4wd'ing with the Cayenne regularly) for river crossings the ballasts would get wet and potentially have further problems. For the headlights however, they are housed in a waterproof module so no danger of that occuring.

However most drivers of X5s, Cayennes etc... will never venture off road with their cars and this probably isn't a concern.
Interesting, I run hid's in my Hellas 4000's

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Whoops premature post...

The Hellas are mounted on my front prerunner bar and I have submerged them multiple times in ocean water as well as river/mud crossing for years w/o issue on my trucks and jeeps. I also have them in my e90 and r56s mini w/o error codes or blow outs for the past yr. But I def agree that the hids in the fog housing reflect too much

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

HID fogs are nice, but with the adaptive fog light function on the X5 which will be turning on and off all the time, it will kill the HID ballast.
Appreciate 0