2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding How to get music from NAS to prof nav?

01-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

How to get music from NAS to prof nav?

Hello, my car is due end of next month btw.

A few years ago I had all my CDs ripped to a NAS, I paid somebody to do it. They are in flac format. How can I get all these tracks onto the hard drive of the new car?

I want the music to remain in a lossless format, I don't want to listen to MP3s.

Thanks
      01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
The car does not directly support FLAC. You have the following possibilities depending on which options you have on the car.

1. If you have option 6FL (USB port in center console). You would have to convert the FLAC files back to WAV. Write the WAV files to a USB flash drive. The car should be able to play the WAV files directly. You can also convert to a lossy audio format (MP3, AAC, WMA) to get them read directly off the flash drive.

2. If you have the NAV system, there will be a little hard drive space available on the Nav for storing music. You can put your CD into the car and it will compress the audio data and store it to the Nav hard drive (probably in a lossy format).

3. You convert the FLAC files into a lossy audio format (MP3, WMA, AAC) and put the files on a flash drive. Put the flash drive in the USB port in the glove compartment. The system will import them onto the Nav hard drive. The US owner's manual doesn't state that WAV is supported in this fashion. I don't know if it is or not.

In either case, the Nav hard drive space available for audio is somewhat limited. Maybe 12-13GB at the most.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post

In either case, the Nav hard drive space available for audio is somewhat limited. Maybe 12-13GB at the most.
But if you do end up going down a different format (mp3 etc) you could put them on a large capacity portable USB drive, plug it in and away you go.
Appreciate 0