E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HPFP Tuning + Jb3

02-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
domsaywha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

HPFP Tuning + Jb3

If i have a JB3 installed on my car and I take it to get HPFP tuning recall, will it wipe out my JB3 tuning?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

JB3 is a piggy back tuning chip, not sure what are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
domsaywha
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
JB3 is a piggy back tuning chip, not sure what are you talking about?
argh, im not quite sure either, but my service advisor asked me if i had any piggy backs, and i told him yes. He said if they do the hpfp tuning, it will overwrite the jb3's tuning?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsaywha View Post
argh, im not quite sure either, but my service advisor asked me if i had any piggy backs, and i told him yes. He said if they do the hpfp tuning, it will overwrite the jb3's tuning?
take your chip off the car. warranty or not, you should still take your tune off when you go to dealership, so that they don't flag your cars in their system.

software probably would not upload onto the car's ECU without the tune off anyway.

and no, the new software that supposedly be fixing the hpfp problem cannot overwrite jb3. since jb3 is a hardware based piggy-back tuning chip, not a ECU flash. you need read more on the engine tuning section this forum so that you don't mess anything up in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
domsaywha
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
take your chip off the car. warranty or not, you should still take your tune off when you go to dealership, so that they don't flag your cars in their system.

software probably would not upload onto the car's ECU without the tune off anyway.

and no, the new software that supposedly be fixing the hpfp problem cannot overwrite jb3. since jb3 is a hardware based piggy-back tuning chip, not a ECU flash. you need read more on the engine tuning section this forum so that you don't mess anything up in the future.
My service advisor does not mind my chip. He is also the one that told me that they will overwrite my jb3, so i had to make sure. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0