E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My New 320d Efficient Dynamics Options Specification

02-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
g30rge
Rep
Drives: 320ed

My New 320d Efficient Dynamics Options Specification

I've ordered a new company car, due for delivery late Feb.
Due to company car tax and fuel prices the ED model was the only choice.
I should be about £65 per month better off than with my current 1.9 5speed Passat Estate.

Below are my optional extras selected to a budget (in brackets why I went for them).

I'd be interested to know what you guys thought?
  • Crimson Red (has to pay extra for metallic, red is a rarer car colour these days, always had black for far, no way do I want white)
  • Vertex Cloth - Anthracite (nice and dark to hide the stains)
  • Hi-fi loudspeaker system (wanted a better sound than the standard, dealer advised there's very little difference compared to the Harmon/Kardon)
  • Run-flat tyres (30k per year, mostly motorway so safety a big factor here, also 16" wheels mean taller sidewall so possibly not as poor ride/ handling many have complained about with rft on the bigger wheels. Also according to many i'll need snow tyres for 3months a year anyway, so could get non run-flats M&S for winter and compare)
  • Cruise control (for the journey)
  • Rain sensor + automatic driving lights control (for the technology)
  • USB/audio interface (for the USB jukebox, wahey!)
  • Storage Compartment pack - 3 Series Saloon (kids cupholders, man that's dear!)
  • Heated front seats (for the comfort)
  • Driver + passenger electric lumbar support (fine tuning, most of my journeys are over 1hour)
  • 3 spoke sports leather steering wheel (the standard looks too thin)
  • Four 12V sockets in cabin (for the gadgets)
  • Split folding rear seat (I've gotta pay for this, c'mon, what's the point of a big car if I can't goto ikea with it?)
  • Smokers pack (I don't but it's free and includes a little cover to hide stuff rather than an open tray)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Great choice on the colour! Hardly any red E90's around.
Make sure you post some pics when you get it!

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

having had our ED for a few weeks, and previously an M Sport I would have spec'd sports seats.

Good choice though!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Good Choice for the colour.

My order spec is:

Crimson Red

Not a great lover of white, and black just looks dirty all the time. And its a nice and rare colour on a BMW.

Half Leather
Sport Seats
Heated Seats

Full leather is just a little too expensive so a happy compromise. Coming from an m-sport the sport seats are great for adjustment and getting comfortable. Heted seats was something my wife has in her car and they've come in handy this winter.

Professional media pack
Business speakers
USB interface

Really impressed with this set up in a courtesy car I had the other day, and I love my iPod, so needed the USB. In my current car I added the tweeter and speaker upgrade myself, but this time I thought sod it, lets pick it from the off.

Visability pack

I've got xenons on my current car, and had them on the Focus ST before, they add so much visibility at night, I don't think I could have a car without again. Wanted the rain sensors as well, so by the time I had added those, for an extra £110, the pack made sense for adaptive headlights and high beam asist

Finally

Extended storage for nets on the seats and a couple of cup holders

Oh, and model designation deletion. on my 123d it makes it a stealth car

but it also keeps the back symetrical and tidy.

See you're getting yours pretty quickly, mines looking like mid to late April.

Gazza
      02-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

RFTs

You got RFTs? I thought the non RFTs which come standard on the ED model are required to achieve the advertised fuel economy? AFAIK with non standard run flats, you will use more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

....and ruin what is one of the better handling 3 series out there!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

Mods, can we merge with the other main thread on the ED? Would be interested in seeing pics of the crimson red.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
wibster
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d EfficientDynamics

Sounds great, great car and a good spec. Welcome to the ED club
2011 E90 320d EfficientDynamics - Jet Black, Gloss Black Inserts, Sun Protection Glass, Antracite Impulse Leather/Cloth Seats, Split Folding Rear Seats, Folding & Sliding Front Armrest, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Media Package - Business Advanced (iDrive, Business Navigation, Bluetooth with Telematics, BMW-ConnectedDrive), USB Audio Interface, Auto Lights & Wipers, Electric Folding Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
g30rge
Rep

Cheers for the comments, I'll sort out some pics when it lands.

Re: the RFT's

I expected the fuel figures to be best case etc, (tax / emissions should be adjusted for non special tyres I suppose but they weren't).

Still looking forward to pushing for 70mpg!

The thought of "low resistance" tyres just doesn't seem right, I like the idea of having tyres that resist the cars momentum from taking it where the driver doesn't want to go ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Good spec on the car, look forward to seeing it in colour

I've got a 318D m sport plus touring and thought i would get 850 miles to a tank lol. The best I can get is 50 mpg on a long run (Heavy Foot) sit at Mway cruising speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30rge View Post

The thought of "low resistance" tyres just doesn't seem right, I like the idea of having tyres that resist the cars momentum from taking it where the driver doesn't want to go ;-)
That's low rolling-resitance tyres on the ED.... they are still quite resistant to letting you slide off into a ditch.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #12
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

The only big mistake you have made is to spec run flat tyres - when you read how much effort people on the forum expend in ditching run flats I would have thought this was a 'no brainer'. Low rolling resistance doesn't equate to low grip, and in any case, when they wear out you can put on any tyres you like in what is quite a common size.

Other than that, good spec - I would perhaps have gone for sports seats rather than the lumbar support though - on balance more comfortable and to be honest I find the electric lumbar support on mine more trouble than it's worth. Without leather, the heated seats are probably wasted though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
wibster
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep

I've just got 64.1mpg on a return trip from Mid-Wales to Reading and back, only approx. 35 Mway miles, 35 dual carriageway miles and the rest twisty A roads. Combined mileage was around 380, so pretty good economy for an engine with less than 1000 miles on the clock
2011 E90 320d EfficientDynamics - Jet Black, Gloss Black Inserts, Sun Protection Glass, Antracite Impulse Leather/Cloth Seats, Split Folding Rear Seats, Folding & Sliding Front Armrest, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Media Package - Business Advanced (iDrive, Business Navigation, Bluetooth with Telematics, BMW-ConnectedDrive), USB Audio Interface, Auto Lights & Wipers, Electric Folding Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

leave the standard tyres - ride and handling is fantastic with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
g30rge
Rep

The sports seat were too much extra £ and I didn't test drive any - some sports seats are a bit too wrap around for long journeys.
It was standard seats in the demonstrator I got and they were fine, the lumbar support is just for that little bit extra adjustment.
I'm sure the heat elements will be fine even though it's cloth, I don't have leather bed sheets and the electric blanket is still great!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Looks like a decent spec. and sound reasoning.

Whilst others are focussing on the RFT selection, the one mentioned briefly by gazzared_typer would be my only concern.... the lack of Xenons. The standard candles are rather poor by comparison, though it is partly a case of experiencing them 1st. Almost all never want to go back to halogen once they have had them on a car.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibster View Post
I've just got 64.1mpg on a return trip from Mid-Wales to Reading and back, only approx. 35 Mway miles, 35 dual carriageway miles and the rest twisty A roads. Combined mileage was around 380, so pretty good economy for an engine with less than 1000 miles on the clock
What sort of speed's were you doing?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I would also advise on not speccing the RFT - there is a reason why M Gmbh refuse to fit them on their cars. Go with the regular tyres - definately. Great spec on the car - enjoy
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
wibster
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
What sort of speed's were you doing?
As the car still had well under 1000 miles on the clock motorway/DC driving was 70mph, and the A roads and twisties 40 - 60mph

I've also just done a round trip to London, from Mid-Wales, approx. 480 miles, reset the OBC before starting and got 65.7mpg. Most of the journey was motorway, with only about 100 miles a roads. Motorway miles was around 75mph, apart from the big stop start miles on the M1 for the roadworks

All in all, very happy
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
paulf
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30rge View Post
I've ordered a new company car, due for delivery late Feb.
Due to company car tax and fuel prices the ED model was the only choice.
I should be about £65 per month better off than with my current 1.9 5speed Passat Estate.

Below are my optional extras selected to a budget (in brackets why I went for them).

I'd be interested to know what you guys thought?
  • Crimson Red (has to pay extra for metallic, red is a rarer car colour these days, always had black for far, no way do I want white)
  • Vertex Cloth - Anthracite (nice and dark to hide the stains)
  • Hi-fi loudspeaker system (wanted a better sound than the standard, dealer advised there's very little difference compared to the Harmon/Kardon)
  • Run-flat tyres (30k per year, mostly motorway so safety a big factor here, also 16" wheels mean taller sidewall so possibly not as poor ride/ handling many have complained about with rft on the bigger wheels. Also according to many i'll need snow tyres for 3months a year anyway, so could get non run-flats M&S for winter and compare)
  • Cruise control (for the journey)
  • Rain sensor + automatic driving lights control (for the technology)
  • USB/audio interface (for the USB jukebox, wahey!)
  • Storage Compartment pack - 3 Series Saloon (kids cupholders, man that's dear!)
  • Heated front seats (for the comfort)
  • Driver + passenger electric lumbar support (fine tuning, most of my journeys are over 1hour)
  • 3 spoke sports leather steering wheel (the standard looks too thin)
  • Four 12V sockets in cabin (for the gadgets)
  • Split folding rear seat (I've gotta pay for this, c'mon, what's the point of a big car if I can't goto ikea with it?)
  • Smokers pack (I don't but it's free and includes a little cover to hide stuff rather than an open tray)
Hiya, just ordered my new 320 ed comp car, let us have your thoughts/pictures when it arrives. BTW decent list of options, some you cant live without!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
g30rge
Rep

Been a few delays but now told its registered and delivery is arranged so should be here next week. Will post pics soon.

I did seriously consider the xenons and would have gone for them with the visibility package if it was my own money but as it's a company car with a limit on the budget I had to miss out on something.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
g30rge
Rep

Here are the pics in red....

Loving the car so far, very pleased that I went for the upgraded hifi.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0