F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I have seen the future....and it is....Compact....And it works... F30/F32/F33
Extreme Powerhouse

02-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Lightbulb I have seen the future....and it is....Compact....And it works... F30/F32/F33

I have Seen the future.... and it is .....Compact....And it works....

At a glance:
  • BMW considering 3er "AFAST," a mix between "MPV, SAV and Touring"
  • F30 sedan to be unveiled late this year - Public Debut at Geneva Motor Show 2012
  • 3er GT being considered
  • F32 3er Coupe to debut in Spring 2013
  • F33 3er Convertible comes in Fall 2013 and remains a hardtop convertible
I have Seen the future.... It is compact... and it works....

Given BMW's primary focus over the last few years has been it's strategy to increase it's growth within three particular segments.
We have already covered the segments involving the Front wheel Drive platform with the MINI brand.

Now we move onto the modular architecture that will bring forth the next generation BMW 1er and 3er models. Although the modular structure of the architecture allows for Front wheel Drive.
The core of the BMW 1er and 3er models will remain driven from the Rear wheels unless the car is all-wheel driven.
Front wheel Drive variants of the 1er allows BMW to compete in segments where utility and space is a priority to customers with both the 1er GT and BMW 1er FAST offering customers exciting reinterpretations of existing concepts but in a more BMW -friendly way.

The first of the new Rear Wheel drive models begins with the next generation BMW 1er Sporthatch which is only a couple of monts away from making it's debut before it's public premiere and market introduction at and just after the 2011 IAA in Frankfurt this September.

Given the priority of growth in these segments BMW see the 1er and 3er as segments that will offer the customer big-car luxuries , technology and premium ambience in a smaller package.
At the height of the economic crisis it was found that customers were downsizing from segments but were equipping their cars with the same levels of luxury and optional equipment.
By introducing more features found within luxury premium concepts.
BMW can mass produce them for the volume market at a cost that is reasonable to the customer and maximise profits.

The premium Compact and Premium Entry segments which cover the BMW 1er and 3er are the single most important sector for manufacturers this decade.

Whilst several models are in the pipeline for both the 1er and 3er and created to take advantage of growing segments including segments BMW are not recognised within. Some are still in the conception stage.
such as the following three concepts here.

Here is a breakdown of these concepts and why they are being looked at it. It is possible one or two (or maybe all ) will not see the light of day but the breakdown shows how BMW are considering such concepts in light of how they can increase the market both in Germany and across the world,
and how BMW can enter the market by offering a more appealing and highly individual approach.

BMW 3er AFAST : Advanced Family Sports Activity Tourer

- Synergy of MPV , SAV and Touring
- Rear Wheel Drive
- Flexible Interior , Space within a car-like body
- Based on architecture for China built F30 3er Li.
- Re-birth of RFK proposal
- Segment to grow by 65% by 2015.

[Thanks to Dackelone for the photo. More can be found here - Bimmerpost]

The media will describe it as a BMW Mini-van. But the AFAST takes it's approach from the BMW FAST which for the 3er is known as AFAST Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer.
The idea is to mix the space and flexibility of an MPV , The solidity and of an SAV with the shape of a larger Touring model but have it remain more car-like in it's appearance.
When BMW talk about FAST And AFAST the question is why do customers have to conform to a single concept which is a typical eurobox or a van with windows if they require space and flexibility? BMW's ideas are to reinterpret the concept to be more car like but without compromise of space, flexibility and how the car drives.

Both flexible options for the 1er and 3er are demanded by customers who want a more Premium offering and for customers who need a car that fullfills their requirements but would like a BMW.

The 3er unlike the FAST 1er will be Rear wheel drive and for cost effectiveness will be based on the LWB platform of the Chinese only market BMW 3er Li which will be introduced for the first time with the F30.

AFAST is if you can put it the reincarnation of BMW's RFK project that morphed into the BMW 5er Gran Turismo. @ BMW some concepts might not be suitable for some segments but can work in others where there is demand for a BMW Concept of this type.

To describe the order in size for BMW space Concepts in height - First would be Shooting Brake(6er) , Touring (3er,5er) , Gran Turismo (1er,3er,5er) and then FAST/AFAST (1er,3er).

Return of the KING : The BMW 3er Sedan and BMW 3er Touring

Signifying it's lead as the car for the premium entry sedan market with numerous awards under it's belt within each generation.
The next 3er again builds on what makes this car just perfect.
BMW knows what makes a 3er so appealing and they succeed in every generation. F30 is no different. The styling might be formulatic but it is what the 3er customer wants, although the F30 continues the evolutionary approach since the E36, the appearance becomes sharper , fresher and the lines bring the 3er into the next generation of BMW surface design.
Debuting juat before the end of the year , the new 3er will make it's world debut at the 2012 Geneva Auto Salon. An additional Active Hybrid 3 will also be shown at the same event. Following the same timeline as the BMW 5er , the 3er Touring (F31) will debut immediately after with the Premiere penciled to follow it's bigger 5er brother and debut at the AMI in Leipzig in 2012 coinciding with a premiere in BMW's largest 3er and 5er Touring's market- Germany.

Travelling in Style...FAST ! The BMW 3er Gran Turismo.

At the Beijing Autoshow in April , BMW will follow it's 5er Li with a 3er Li built exclusively for the Chinese market in China.
To bring the extended 3er a more cost effective approach.
BMW will not follow the lead by the 5er Gran Turismo and base it on a model above but use the Chinese extended platform for it's Gran Turismo variant of the 3er.

The 3er Gran Turismo will offer more or less the same attributes as the 5er Gran Turismo but in a much more sleeker package. The same rules apply in terms of the passenger is more important. But the 3er GT will inherit a touch of dynamic flavor with BMW seeing the GT 3 as driving in style and luxury but also fast. The success of the 5er GT in which has contributed greatly to BMW's bottom line since it's introduction has spurned on the development of the much maligned concept.
The 3er GT will offer a simple hatch function forgoing the twin trunk arrangement on the 5er GT. BMW intend to offer both turbocharged Petrol and Diesel Four and Six Cylinders and a Hybrid variant with the 3er GT aswell as xDrive. The customer can specify a 3er GT 20d xDrive aswell as a 3er GT 35i xDrive.
The apperance of the 3er GT will follow the 5er GT and be totally independent from the 3er as the 5er GT declares it's independence from the 5er but inherits a bloodline shared between the two.

2013 : The Year of the BMW Coupe and Convertible.

With the 3er Coupe and Cabrio even within it's current E92 and E93 models has surprised BMW that the individual appearance has worked wonders for the car and it's customer base. Since the car is so far removed from the Sedan and Touring in every way that the F32 and F33 the replacments for the E92 and E93 will follow the same formula. Due out in 2013 at the beginning and the end of the year respectively.

The Coupe begins the transition to shaper lines which we are seeing within the BMW Connected Drive Concept Car but because of the importance of the 3er Coupe which in Europe for example the customer buys the 320d Coupe the best selling 3er Coupe but equip it to a level of luxury coupes that cost up to twice or three times as much.
Realising that customers who do so are not a minority the 3er Coupe will get a more individual look that defines the Coupe as Premium.
Styling is evolutionary but will be retain sharper looks and angles , the rear end reinterprets the current car but adds the typical L-Shape but in a fresh direction. The headlights are more angular and sharper but retain that flick at the inner edges for a more premium feel ,the indicators are recessed underneath the light covers giving a relationship to the new BMW 6er Coupe.

The Cabrio will retain the folding hardtop as BMW cannot ignore the popularity of this model in key markets - one being China.
The E93 3er Cabrio is very popular amongst the chinese especially with the female demographic. The same goes for the world over. The car is much loved for it's style and ambience plus the added security of the hardtop. With many enjoying the showing off of the hardtop via the key.
The Hardtop is carried over to the new car which will allow the designers to reinstate that level of design function of how the car's side remains consistent when you only have to look at the Lexus IS cabrio to see this done very,very wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

a 3 mini van

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Thanks for the information. I just want to know when we can order the F30 for delivery. If it does not debut until later this year can we not order it until 2012?

- J
      02-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Since I returned to Germany I had a closer look at AutoMotor Und Sport's article.

The Magazine AutoMotor Und Sport refers to the FWD based 1er van but chose to mis-interpret the car by showing a chop with a Gran Turismo crossed with a VW Sharan.

As you are well aversed in, that BMW do not do vans and straight facsimile of certain concepts. The rendering in the UK car magazine of the GT compact sports Tourer mimics the outline of the production car , again looking anything unlike a van.

The BMW 3er Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer has come about because in Europe there is demand for such a vehicle , especially for those with a large family and the need for extra flexibility. In a way it will be a bigger brother for the BMW 1er based FWD/AWD FAST- Family Activity Sports Tourer , however the 3er will be RWD.

The question asked is why must the customer conform?
Why should the only option be a van with windows if the customer who enjoys driving but needs the space and flexibility be reduced to a single euro box concept? Why cant a concept be done differently using the same idea but more in shape of a car instead of a van?

Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer carries over where the RFK left off ,
Taking on the appearance of a more sporty elongated Touring model with the space of an MPV and the solidity of an SAV. Just because one idea had to be re-evaluated for one segment does not mean it wont work for another.
Given the projections for these segments to increase throughout this decade BMW are not the only manufacturer looking at the options available.
Audi are looking at the A4/A6 to implement the Roadjet, And both E-Klasse and C-Klasse Mercedes-Benz models are being looked at for similar purpose.

But BMW know that the car cannot be a van with windows.
That is why it will be anything but , of course it is all on whether BMW decide to take the 3er based concept to production.
      02-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
tr0tt3r
Rep
Drives: audi q5

3er xDrive

Will the F30 offer xDrive fromt the start, or will it be just rwd the first year or so? I mean on the lower end engines like 320xd.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

As for all BMW's we do not overcomplicate things at launch - xDrive and M-Sport will be with the 3er/3er Touring by the time of the Paris Autoshow in October prior to official announcement in the Summer.
      02-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

SCOTT, what about a 3 series Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Trout
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeh View Post
I have seen my future.

It is in an Audi.

Thanks for the memories, BMW.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I was hoping to see the return of a spare tire well in the trunk so we have the choice between run-flats and regular tires. You just can't out-technologize a pothole!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

This is more like the idea behind AFAST.
Overall it is still a car - a sort of elongated Touring but in nowhere near a van
but still a 3er.

again it advances on BMW pushing the envelope on new niches for existing concepts.
Attached Images

02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

That van thing is seriously ugly.....seriously looks like a 3 series humped a Mercedes B class.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

AFAST appears to be a great calculated answer to growing Porsche Panamera type segment. I'm sure BMW will hit another home run here.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
rex5272
Supreme ruler of all
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AW

Why cant they just leave the 3 as a Coupe, sedan and convertible?

Leave the 3er alone!!!
      02-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Augu$tu$
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeh View Post
I have seen my future.

It is in an Audi.

Thanks for the memories, BMW.
I must agree. I seriously think BMW is on the wrong track here with this AFAST and GT garbage. It's overweight and ugly.

I think you're going to see a major uprising of Audi and a decline of BMW over the next ten years.

Last edited by Augu$tu$; 02-14-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
gidiup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Audi S5.. Here I come.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
just a tip Scott: don't build the GT. Go to any dealer and see those 5 series GT parked collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Majority of these vehicles are not targeted at the audience on this forum.

Once we get a little more insight and visuals on the F32, I believe it will rekindle the fire.
      02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
just a tip Scott: don't build the GT. Go to any dealer and see those 5 series GT parked collecting dust.
The 5er Gran Turismo is not just sold in the US. The car is very popular in Europe and China. In some cities in europe you will find that your shuttle service to the Airport from your hotel is a 5er Gran Turismo more likely the 530d.

Besides in the US in the short frame of a year , the BMW 5er GT outsold the total of E61 BMW 5er Tourings over three years.
And I see the GT has a forum here. Customers find the car very appealing.

In regarding the AFAST . BMW are not the only ones looking at this segment, Audi are looking to implement the Roadjet and Mercedes-Benz have their ideas too. These types of vehicle are being demanded in Europe because customers want more flexibility , and purpose they also want premium.
      02-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This is more like the idea behind AFAST.
Overall it is still a car - a sort of elongated Touring but in nowhere near a van
but still a 3er.

again it advances on BMW pushing the envelope on new niches for existing concepts.
This looks way better but how is this so different than a 5 touring. It is to be based of the LWB 3 from China so I guess the WB and length will get close to the 5 and so will the price. You loose the more advanced front wheel suspension of the 5 and some of the comfort of the 5 - to gain what?????

I see that BMW might "need" an Audi A5 SB but this does not sound like an extended 3 coupe with 2 extra doors :-)

Is this actually a 3 series Allroad?

I am all in favor of BMW making a 1000 different models to make the company stronger and enable it to make the core models. However this just seems like a 5 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #21
adamm3k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3

It seems like there is always some kind of excuse for the future releases so we are not extremely disappointed. Only models I look forward to are the f32 and gran coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

FAIL!

Here comes the new german toyota.

Mini-vans and front wheel drive vehicles are the future of bmw. So exciting.
Appreciate 0