E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Eml Light on cold startup

02-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
SID335
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335I M SPORT

Eml Light on cold startup

Over the last week my E92 335i(07) has been misfiring when cold,definately running on 5 cylinders and after letting it run for a couple of minutes the eml (small yellow engine light) on dash appears,nothing on I drive,If I then switch off and restart although a little lumpy everything is fine (eml light off),when warm the idle is completely steady.Booked it in at the dealers,and they agree there is a problem but BMW will not allow them to replace suspect coils/injectors unlesss there is a fault code present ,is it true that the eml fault is not logged anywhere on the vehicle ?,the vehicle is staying at the dealers as they found a cracked 225m alloy and are waiting for new items from Germany,which could take upto 4 weeks,they have given me a courtesy car in the meantime and have said they hope the eml light will progress into fault code,any thoughts on what I can do guys.............?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

An EML will definately trigger a fault code. It works the other way round - many fault codes don't trigger the EML.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
SID335
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
An EML will definately trigger a fault code. It works the other way round - many fault codes don't trigger the EML.
Would the fault code ever disappear if it was no longer present i.e after the second start up where there is no EML light present ?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Last time mine played up when cold, in the same way, needed new HPFP
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID335 View Post
Would the fault code ever disappear if it was no longer present i.e after the second start up where there is no EML light present ?
No - the EML may go off, but the code will remain logged until it is cleared via the OBD port.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
newmanman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe -JB4/DCI

Hi, mine threw a EML last August and drove like a bag of spanners, it was in the dealer 6 times over 6 months before misfire solved, original fault was misfire on cylinders 2 & 3 , its been fine for 3.5 weeks now with 6th visit having a new coil and injector on cylinder 3 only.

The other 5 visits where a mix of 6 new plugs and a larger amount of diagnostic checks solving nothing, all very frustrating, I was pushing for new coils and injectors all round but BMW would not it have it.

57 plate on 36k miles under extended warranty, got there in the end

Good luck,
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
SID335
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmanman View Post
Hi, mine threw a EML last August and drove like a bag of spanners, it was in the dealer 6 times over 6 months before misfire solved, original fault was misfire on cylinders 2 & 3 , its been fine for 3.5 weeks now with 6th visit having a new coil and injector on cylinder 3 only.

The other 5 visits where a mix of 6 new plugs and a larger amount of diagnostic checks solving nothing, all very frustrating, I was pushing for new coils and injectors all round but BMW would not it have it.

57 plate on 36k miles under extended warranty, got there in the end

Good luck,
Thanks mate,I think I am going to have to insist that it is sorted,the dealer is in other words telling me that I may have to drive it until I break down at the roadside before they will cover anything under warranty,I have just had new turbo's and wastegates in January this year,not happy !!!!
Appreciate 0