E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer wants to charge me for injector flush ?

02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Dealer wants to charge me for injector flush ?

my vehicle is still under the 4yr 50k warranty. getting some recall services done.

my SA said they are recommending me do a injector flush because it is "due". What the heck is an injector flush???

is that really even necessary? The way I figured is, if i buy the extended bmw warranty, that covers the injectors. if the injectors were to ever fail, they would replace those based on the warranty.

Plus, they said it isn't covered under the maintenance cost. So then WTF... this "full maintenance" plan is BS then if the dealers/BMWNA is calling for more services than what the maintenance plan entails.

whats next? The next time I go in they're going to say I need a complete engine flush and drain and some exhaust manifold cleaning...but oh, it ain't covered so I gotta pay for it???
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
my vehicle is still under the 4yr 50k warranty. getting some recall services done.

my SA said they are recommending me do a injector flush because it is "due". What the heck is an injector flush???

is that really even necessary? The way I figured is, if i buy the extended bmw warranty, that covers the injectors. if the injectors were to ever fail, they would replace those based on the warranty.

Plus, they said it isn't covered under the maintenance cost. So then WTF... this "full maintenance" plan is BS then if the dealers/BMWNA is calling for more services than what the maintenance plan entails.

whats next? The next time I go in they're going to say I need a complete engine flush and drain and some exhaust manifold cleaning...but oh, it ain't covered so I gotta pay for it???
Tell them to put it in writing and then write a letter to bmwna. I would also look for another dealer.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

which dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 535i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Sounds to me like you already nailed it on the head. The injector flush is being "recommended" by the SA but it is not required and therefore not covered under the maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

what is an injector flush? is that like running techron?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpast3 View Post
Sounds to me like you already nailed it on the head. The injector flush is being "recommended" by the SA but it is not required and therefore not covered under the maintenance program.
You didn't read the rest of the sentence. He is recommending it "because it's due."
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds a little weird.
      02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Sounds a little weird.
Sounds like a dealer who is trying to make extra money by trying to get around bmw's maintenace policy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 535i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
You didn't read the rest of the sentence. He is recommending it "because it's due."
My bad. I'd side with you then. My SA used to have brochures for the injector flush on his desk (they are gone now) and he said it was a "recommendation" thing and not a requirement.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
what is an injector flush? is that like running techron?
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_7552841
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Ok just to clear up some confusion and give you guys some valid information. An injector flush does actually work on high mileage cars. Basically it runs a cleaner through the injectors by a pressurized tank full of the cleaner, and bypassing the fuel pump. It hooks directly to the fuel rails via the schrader valve or @ the fuel line inlet going into the rail. This is not to be confused with injector cleaner you buy @ an autoparts store, that is totally different. I have seen MPG and better running engines but ONLY on higher mileage vehicles. Injectors can get gunked up after time and affect the spray pattern

HOWEVER

Judging by your info you have a 335. This means you have a high press fuel system. Meaning for one they cannot hook an injector cleaner to it if they wanted to. 2- The service writer is either a complete moron and doesnt know you cannot run injector cleaner through the high pressure fuel system, he is going to sell you the service but nothing is actually going to get done (ripping you off) or mistook your vehicle for having a non turbo engine.

In short, no you do not need and injector flush. Tell him to pound sand cause its impossible and not recommended @ all on a High pressure Piezo injector that you are running.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

BS.that SA
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Ok just to clear up some confusion and give you guys some valid information. An injector flush does actually work on high mileage cars. Basically it runs a cleaner through the injectors by a pressurized tank full of the cleaner, and bypassing the fuel pump. It hooks directly to the fuel rails via the schrader valve or @ the fuel line inlet going into the rail. This is not to be confused with injector cleaner you buy @ an autoparts store, that is totally different. I have seen MPG and better running engines but ONLY on higher mileage vehicles. Injectors can get gunked up after time and affect the spray pattern

HOWEVER

Judging by your info you have a 335. This means you have a high press fuel system. Meaning for one they cannot hook an injector cleaner to it if they wanted to. 2- The service writer is either a complete moron and doesnt know you cannot run injector cleaner through the high pressure fuel system, he is going to sell you the service but nothing is actually going to get done (ripping you off) or mistook your vehicle for having a non turbo engine.

In short, no you do not need and injector flush. Tell him to pound sand cause its impossible and not recommended @ all on a High pressure Piezo injector that you are running.
Agree 100%, although I cannot speak about not being able to flush a HPF system because I don't have enough experience/knowledge of them.

If you're concerned with the injectors getting gunked up over time, run a bottle of Chevron Techron - detergent based fuel system cleaner once or twice per year. it's $13, or $14 per bottle depending on where you go, but it's one of the best fuel system cleaners out there.

Previous: 2008 E92 335xi Coupe
Previous: 2004 330xi Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Sorry to side track, but is true you should run techron right before an oil change only??

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Sorry to side track, but is true you should run techron right before an oil change only??
That's the first I've ever heard of that.

I can't see the reasoning behind it. The only time I would do that is if I was dealing with a much older car - say....a pre 2000 model year car that needed to have emissions testing. At that point, I would first run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it - and immediately change the oil before the emissions test since I want any fumes coming out of the tailpipe to be as clean as possible.

I own a 1990 ZR1 Corvette that I put roughly 2,000 miles on it per year. I run a bottle or two of Techron through it per year - but only change the oil once - before it goes into storage for the winter.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Chevron techron is awesome. I had rough idle start-up problems. After a bottle of that stuff in my tank no more rough idle. That was over 8,000 miles ago. I believe it has to do with the fuel filter that is never changed. They get dirty, dirt passes to the injectors, then car idles rough.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #17
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

The dealer sent me a report in regards to the fuel injector flush.

this is what it basically says. by the way, it costs a whopping "$240" for this service. I really, really like to know exactly what they are doing.

Are they going to rip apart the piezo electric injectors and stick a wire into it and scrape out the debris??

correct me if I'm wrong but if its "due for a tune-up"... that must be under BMW's no-cost maintenance policy right?
Attached Images

Last edited by nukezero; 02-21-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ Please send this to BMWNA and see what they have to say. Due for tune-up (this is maintenance). It should be free.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Yes. This stuff breaks down carbon and is itself a powerful solvent. Some of it blows past the piston rings into the oil below which in turn affects the oils viscosity. That's why you want to change your oil afterward.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Yes. This stuff breaks down carbon and is itself a powerful solvent. Some of it blows past the piston rings into the oil below which in turn affects the oils viscosity. That's why you want to change your oil afterward.
To the best of my knowledge, Chevron Techron contains little to no solvents - that's why it's detergent based.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #21
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
i heard those bottle and additives dont even work.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNH View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Chevron Techron contains little to no solvents - that's why it's detergent based.

Source: https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...docFormat=HTML
Appreciate 0