E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What intake are you guys using on 16+psi boost?

02-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
cent778
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

What intake are you guys using on 16+psi boost?

Several months back I install MS DCI and scoops due to advice from other members.
Apparently the stock unit is too restrictive for 16+ boost levels and effect waste gate duty cycles.

I know there has been much debate on the forum.
But in most instances the members are driving in 10-15c amb temps.
Where as amb temps over this end are hovering around 35c.
With amb temps in this range and C/L dp's, under hood temp must get extremely hot.
This brings me to think if I should switch back to my stock intake with drop in filter and scoops (also a much debated topic in effectiveness). Or persist with my MS DCI and scoops.
I've never data logged and have no idea of changes in waste gate duty cycle.

Currently considering getting the STETT v2 intake, but unaware if they fit RHD vehicles. Any one have this installed?

So question is, what you other Aussie boys running?
ps: I don't run meth.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

From what I've read in the Engine mods section (heaps of info there) it does appear that DCIs place less strain on the turbos due to their effect on waste gate duty cycles even if you are running less than 16psi. Of course, the downside is that you'll be getting higher IATs especially in 35 degree ambient. The best way to lower IATs is to run meth, which is another mod to consider with big boost.

Stock intake is pretty damn efficient at maintaining low IATs but appears to be too restrictive at higher boost levels. I'm only mildly tuned so can't speak from experience, but with 16psi I'd rather be running DCIs to give my turbos an easier time rather than chasing that extra 10hp by putting in the more restrictive stock system.

Someone else needs to chime in.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

DCI's are good but I found them noisy and not any real improvement compared to stock with the butt dyno. Also the cops love to ping you in NSW if you've pissed them off, which I regularly do apparently.

I'll be getting the new Vishnu meth kit when it arrives and then will look at the Dinan intake as it's more stock like.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I've got a new, never used stett CAI v2 that I might be selling cent778. I'm 99% sure it will fit RHD, reason I may be sellling is it may make it harder to install the new vishnu meth kit
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Dynos have shown the stock intake only becomes a bottle neck over 365whp for memory.

The temps aren't much of an issue because the turobs heat the piss out of the air regardless, and all the cooling occurs in the intercooler. That's why a bigger intercooler helps in our climate when pushing more boost.

Also, when at high RPM, the N54 is pulling in a high volume of air from outside the car quite quickly.

The new vishnu meth kit also looks great
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
kunz
OMG-335
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I got no noticeable performance boost either (as expected..) but my butt dyno is telling me my car is faster (haha!). I love the sound of it too.

I've got the PROcede - looking into getting exhausts soon to make more noise.
      03-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
cent778
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
DCI's are good but I found them noisy and not any real improvement compared to stock with the butt dyno. Also the cops love to ping you in NSW if you've pissed them off, which I regularly do apparently.

I'll be getting the new Vishnu meth kit when it arrives and then will look at the Dinan intake as it's more stock like.

Please let me know if you do end up getting the Dinan intake. Will be interested in your thoughts on the unit.

Appreciate 0