2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Blackberry App for Calendar

03-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Blackberry App for Calendar

Has anyone downloaded the Blackberry App that came out last month....titled,..... "Blue Tooth Calendar Sync"?

There is one review on it and the person speaks highly of the fact that they can now see their calendar in the car.

It seems to have all the earmarks of what we are supposed to be getting with Office, and Connected Drive. Only downside though is that they want $14.99 for the App. I'm not sure if this is what BMW will provide at a later date, or is going to let Apple and others charge for these upgrades. My BB Torch does Messages, but not Calendar as of yet.

I may contact the Dealer and see if there are any software upgrades announced. With the Connected Drive vehicles coming off the production line right now..............would expect that new software is probably forthcoming.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I downloaded it and will try it tonight and let everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon ExAudi Guy View Post
I downloaded it and will try it tonight and let everyone know.
I am sending you GOOD KARMA for being the first.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep

Works like a charm!

Took about 5 minutes for the initial sync. Now my screen shows Calendar, Tasks and Reminders! The screen shot in BB App World accurately depicts it. Worth the $14.99! I have a BB Torch.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

I had the same experience. Works Great!
Bill
      03-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome! I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Calendar was one of the things I was really looking forward to.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep

One thing to do BEFORE you sync is to make sure that in the car, the timezone setting is correct. My car always showed the right time but I had the timezone in wrong. When the calendar synced, everything was 6 hours ahead. To clear it up, I had to delete the phone profile and resync the phone from scratch.

I will say that the calendar display isn't a particularly pretty. I was hoping for the appearance of a real calendar showing the month where you could dial into the date on the calendar, then press the knob to go into it. But, this is still better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will say that the calendar display isn't a particularly pretty. I was hoping for the appearance of a real calendar showing the month where you could dial into the date on the calendar, then press the knob to go into it. But, this is still better than nothing.
I think the intent is to display currently pending calendar entries...appointments coming due within or closely occuring to your current trip...not use it as replacement for a full calendar. When I look at "Current Office" I see what I would call a better listing of upcoming events.

I'm going to experiment with emailing a google map instruction to myself and drag it into an appointment. From there I wil see if I can associate the coordinate found in the appointment with the NAV via the iDrive. I know I can send the coordinates directly to the car but it would more convenient to place it into an appointment and then when reviewing the appointment in the car direct it to the NAV.

I'll let you folks know.

Bill

Edit: I can't figure a way to send the same coordinate information via email as you do when you send to a car or GPS from google maps, only a link to google maps is sent. Therefore this cannot be done (please correct me if you know different). Too bad as it would be convenient to have your appointments come up and then automate the navigation from the appointment.

Bill

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 03-04-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

I downloaded the App this morning and just took the BB out to the Car to Sync. It did take a while, glad you noted this SoonEx. Everything works great and had no issues. For $15, well worth it as it gets us closer...if not all the way to full Office Functions.

Now if I can only teach the car how to do Power Point Presentations........
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
virgoe73
X6 3.0 , MB AMG, Volvo S40 T5 .
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 530D Sport

screenshots please !
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgoe73 View Post
screenshots please !
Here are some shots. Sorry for the fuzzy images.

The tool lists calendar events and allows you to navigate via specific date, next day, previous day, etc. Tasks are listed and active reminders (notices for calendar entries or tasks).
Attached Images

03-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
gupe
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
I downloaded the App this morning and just took the BB out to the Car to Sync. It did take a while, glad you noted this SoonEx. Everything works great and had no issues. For $15, well worth it as it gets us closer...if not all the way to full Office Functions.

Now if I can only teach the car how to do Power Point Presentations........

I downloaded the App but how must I synchronize it in the car ? It doesn't work or what am I doing wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupe View Post
I downloaded the App but how must I synchronize it in the car ? It doesn't work or what am I doing wrong ?
Assuming you have Combox, ("Office in your main Menu") and a phone that supports this function, it should work.

If you are now able to get messages loaded onto your screen, just wait for it to sync up the Calendar. It can take up to five minutes or more for it to transfer the data.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
gupe
Rep

Quote:
Assuming you have Combox, ("Office in your main Menu") and a phone that supports this function, it should work.

If you are now able to get messages loaded onto your screen, just wait for it to sync up the Calendar. It can take up to five minutes or more for it to transfer the data.
I have office , can read my emails on my screen but no sync with my calendar.
I will try it tomorrow once again.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
gupe
Rep

Quote:

I still don't see my calendar. I really don't know what I am doing wrong .
Any idea how to fix it ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupe View Post
I still don't see my calendar. I really don't know what I am doing wrong .
Any idea how to fix it ?

Thanks
I am stumped. I guess go back to the fundamentals to make sure everything is set up properly.

1) Make sure that your "Office" box is checked when looking at options on your Blue Tooth linked phone.
2) Open up the Application on your phone and look and see if you get any errors. You should see that it has some form of Sync symbol for the Claendar App that shows it is in process.
3) Re-boot your phone?
4) Un-Pair, then Re-Pair the phone?

I'm stretching here...........not sure what to suggest.

Guys.............any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
gupe
Rep

Quote:
I am stumped. I guess go back to the fundamentals to make sure everything is set up properly.

1) Make sure that your "Office" box is checked when looking at options on your Blue Tooth linked phone.
2) Open up the Application on your phone and look and see if you get any errors. You should see that it has some form of Sync symbol for the Claendar App that shows it is in process.
3) Re-boot your phone?
4) Un-Pair, then Re-Pair the phone?

I'm stretching here...........not sure what to suggest.

Guys.............any other suggestions?

I tried all but it really doesn't work . What can I do more ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep

Delete the phone profile from the car, and the BT profile from the phone. Start over from scratch. Don't just connect and reconnect.

When you say it doesnt work, do you see the "syncing symbol" in the display in the car? It can take 20 minutes for everything to sync up.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
gupe
Rep

Quote:
Delete the phone profile from the car, and the BT profile from the phone. Start over from scratch. Don't just connect and reconnect.

When you say it doesnt work, do you see the "syncing symbol" in the display in the car? It can take 20 minutes for everything to sync up.

I have deleted the phone in the car and the profile in the phone. Re-installed everything but it still doesn't work. I don't see any sync symbol in the display in the car
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
caramanza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

Guys,

what I can do, is connect to my private me.com account through the car's GSM system through connecteddrive. Slow, but it works.

What I cannot do, is reading my emails via bluetooth from the Blackberry, as advertised by BMW marketing material. Have got an F11 from a week ago, combox, all interfaces, and what not.... Calender would be great but this is still a dream, but the app doesn't do emails, right ?

What do I do wrong - any suggestions ?

gupe - you seem to have the same config as I do... what is your BB software version (I have 6.0.0.359, and cannot see my emails).

Helpless greetings,
C
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramanza View Post
Guys,

what I can do, is connect to my private me.com account through the car's GSM system through connecteddrive. Slow, but it works.

What I cannot do, is reading my emails via bluetooth from the Blackberry, as advertised by BMW marketing material. Have got an F11 from a week ago, combox, all interfaces, and what not.... Calender would be great but this is still a dream, but the app doesn't do emails, right ?

What do I do wrong - any suggestions ?

gupe - you seem to have the same config as I do... what is your BB software version (I have 6.0.0.359, and cannot see my emails).

Helpless greetings,
C
Sounds like you have the correct BB, mine is a Torch so can only verify that this model works. You should have the e-mail function now without the App. As suggested before, make sure that when you look at your phone sync on i-drive (under Bluetooth), and press "Options"....that you scroll down and have the Office checkmarked. I didnt have that done for the longest time and it drove me crazy on why I couldnt get my e-mails...until i figured this out.

The BB App itself is just to add the calendar function to office. I use it every morning now by pressing my voice activation key on the steering wheel and saying "calendar". Then I get to see what all mannor of horror I have to look forward to when I get to the office.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
caramanza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

thanks !

But that's what I did first - look at all possible Checkboxes, and the one you mention was one of the first I found and checked.

There must be something with the BB, though.

It just doesn't want to work. What is it I do wrong, and i.e. gupe does right ?
Appreciate 0