E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items > Shipping Costs: The angles?

03-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
apache67
Private
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Shipping Costs: The angles?

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Howdy Guys,

Just went on a fact finding trip to UPS to ship some tire/wheels.

Whew, talk about sticker shock. For instance: $75 dollars per tire/wheel, before packaging costs, to zipcode 98075.

What are some means to bring down these ridiculous rates? I don't want any interested parties paying more than they should have to when it comes to me shipping sold goods.

Thanks!

Greg

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
mikracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i sedan

Did you get that quote at a UPS Store? The Stores cost more than an actual UPS customer service facility. Also, no need to box them up, just cut out some cardboard to cover the face and rear of the wheel and tape around to secure the two pieces of cardboard.

A cheaper way to ship is to go freight. But that would mean you put the wheels/tires on a pallet and get it wrapped. Most freight companies will only deliver to a place that has a loading dock.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

Cut out cardboard circles...enough for one on the backside and two on the face of the wheels. Put a layer of bubble wrap on the face of the wheel as well then just wrap each wheel/tire individually. I used quite a bit of plastic wrap I picked up a roll at uhaul.

I then used busfreighter.com to ship via greyhound. Was only $130 to ship from KS to east coast.
Appreciate 0