E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Anyone of you guys track your E90 335i (not talking about the dragstrip)

03-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Anyone of you guys track your E90 335i (not talking about the dragstrip)

I plan to take my car on the track..but am getting mixed signals on whether the car will take to track excursions...I have tracked my other cars with mixed results. I have a dedicated Spec Miata race car..that that is what I usually take on the track..but I wanted to try my E90 335 on the track at some time. So, have any of you done so..if so, what are your impressions...

Here is a pic of me with my current car on the track at Thunderhill in NorCal:
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I don't have my car yet but planning to track it. Nice pic.. are those SSRs?
      03-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
I don't have my car yet but planning to track it. Nice pic.. are those SSRs?
Yeah...18X8.5 SSR comps...I had 17X8.5 SSR comps on my B5 platform Audi S4..so I am very familiar with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

i havent yet, but if i find some AutoX course in FL, i probably will at least do it once.
      03-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

I am also very interested in hearing about any E90 experiences at a track day. I'm signed up for my first track day this weekend (3/10/07) at Road Atlanta! I entered four autocross events last year and thought my 325i did great, even with the stock run-flats. But that's apples and we're talking oranges now...

Would love to hear about any brake or tire issues anyone has had at the track.
      03-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wow...guess not.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Shinobi
Addicted to AutoX
Rep
Drives: Modded e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Wow...guess not.
Funny, I was just talking to my friend about this. I told him that on e90post.com, unlike other BMW boards, "taking it to the track" is more likely to refer to the dragstrip, then a road course.

Anyways, I am interested in this too and also any feedback from people who have tracked/autoxed with steptronic. My friend is interested in getting a 335i sedan with AT, and was wondering how it behaved at an autox course. We know that the AT and MT perform similar if not the same straight-line, but we're looking for real-world experience and feedback from people who have actually been to the track and/or autox. The steptronic in the e46 behaved very differently at autox events (much, much slower to respond when the car was pushed very hard).

I have searched, and most of the threads here are about drag racing and freeway races. My personal opinion is that the 335i would be fine for the track, but its weight is more of a detriment at autox events.
      03-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
Funny, I was just talking to my friend about this. I told him that on e90post.com, unlike other BMW boards, "taking it to the track" is more likely to refer to the dragstrip, then a road course.

I have searched, and most of the threads here are about drag racing and freeway races. My personal opinion is that the 335i would be fine for the track, but its weight is more of a detriment at autox events.

The thing is...track play and autocross are two different things to me..I use to compete in autocross in SF Region back when I had a B5 S4..and actually managed to get 3rd place for the 2000 season in C-SP class..very competitive region btw. I did 16 autocross events that year, I believe. Going to a track and doing 4-5, 20-30 minute full track sessions is WAY more stressful on the car than say three or four 50-60 second autocross course. My comment is about people putting this kind of wear and tear on their cars at a road course track...not an autocross...not a dragstrip. I am wondering how the 335i handles on track...and how much heat soak there will be on those blistering days when the thermometer tops 100 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
CrazyHohol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

wait where is thunderhill i live in SF and i have been looking for a track a little bit closer than infeon or Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
SpdFreak
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Going to a track and doing 4-5, 20-30 minute full track sessions is WAY more stressful on the car than say three or four 50-60 second autocross course. My comment is about people putting this kind of wear and tear on their cars at a road course track...not an autocross...not a dragstrip. I am wondering how the 335i handles on track...and how much heat soak there will be on those blistering days when the thermometer tops 100 degrees.

I have had the privilege to personally be at a road racing event this past summer and can say that the cars get punished much much more when used in road racing events than when auto crossed, (Not that I wouldn't take my car when I get it to an event or two )

I've heard that racing the car voids the warranty, can someone verify this?

Ps. Great picture!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I haven't had mine out at Willow or Buttonwillow yet, but it'll get there.
I have done HARD 30-45 min canyon runs though.
I'd say it'd be pretty damn close to Streets of Willow abuse too.

Damn wheels were BLACK when I got home. Soft brake pads.

Racing the car doesn't void the warranty.
Crashing the car while at the track will probably void your Insurance policy.

Even my B6 S4 ran WAYYYYY HOT when out at Willow in the summer.

I have no worries and my 335i will certainly get some track time.
Maybe we can hook up for a day at Leguna ? Worth the drive for me......

kj
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

im in germany and took my 335i out to nurburgring right before winter. it was when i had about 1700 miles on the car (not sure exactly because all my gauges are set in km). on the second lap (keep in mind this is a 28 km course) the oil temp went really hot and i pulled over to let it cool down. i heard some other complaints about engines shutting down because of getting overheated. anyone else?

other than that, the car performed great. my last car was an '01 m5 and i would take the 335i over it for the track anyday. might sound crazy, but the 335i has a much more raw feeling to it
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
I haven't had mine out at Willow or Buttonwillow yet, but it'll get there.
I have done HARD 30-45 min canyon runs though.
I'd say it'd be pretty damn close to Streets of Willow abuse too.

Damn wheels were BLACK when I got home. Soft brake pads.

Racing the car doesn't void the warranty.
Crashing the car while at the track will probably void your Insurance policy.

Even my B6 S4 ran WAYYYYY HOT when out at Willow in the summer.

I have no worries and my 335i will certainly get some track time.
Maybe we can hook up for a day at Leguna ? Worth the drive for me......

kj
Kurt, I am up for it...Laguna is usually much cooler that Sears/Thunderhill/Buttonwillow/Willow Springs as you know...the question would be who to run with? I will probably want to put on suspension first...maybe put some R compounds on the stock wheels for dedicated track use.

For that question about Thunderhill...it is probably farther away than Sears/Laguna..it is 90 miles NORTH of Sacramento...3.1 miles...nice track..its where I first learned back in 98. Been there probably 75 track days so far.

BTW, taking your car on a road course for a high performance driving school is not racing. I have a race car that I "race" on track. You dont race your street car...not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #14
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep
Drives: 2012 E350 Bluetec

Garage List
For all you track junkies, here's a great opportunity to track at Laguna Seca

http://speedventures.com/4-20-2007_event.asp

One of the best experiences in my life

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
'11 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I used to take my e46 on several tracks (Laguna, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Vegas, Calif Speedway, etc) with the BMW club. It was a lot of fun and I never ran into the overheating etc problems that the e36's ran into. Although on Willow Springs there was a slight hick-up going up turn #2 when the gas gets shoved into the back of the car it gets fuel starved for just a second. Other than that it was SO much fun. I will be taking delivery of new 335i this month and would love to hear what other people are doing! How do run flats work on the track? Last car had a second set of rims and tires but I don't think they have the clearance for e92. Thinking about buying someone elses stock but that means running run flats on the track at least till they wear out. r:
Appreciate 0