E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Why does a car have to sit in the pre-pre delivery for a month?

03-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Why does a car have to sit in the pre-pre delivery for a month?

According to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking information my car has been discharged in Brisbane on 27 February 2007.
Called up BMW and dealer today to find out the delivery date. I was told end of March 2007. The dealer said it would only take them 2 days to do the pre-delivery, the rest of the time the car would in BMW prep centre to prepare for Australian Design compliance.

Anyone have any idea why do BMW took so long? In case you think that car might be damaged in shipment, I was told that BMW took a month to prep the car to Australian Design Compliance the day I ordered the car. Does anyone had the same experience?
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest

Last edited by ed-320d; 03-06-2007 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Sounds odd. To my memory, my car took no more than 2 weeks from the time it arrived until I could pick it up. Maybe there are only limited staff to do the compliance work and there are a lot of cars to do (large shipment?). I hope for your sake it's not because it's been damaged in transit?
      03-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
Maybe they have ordered a left hand drive car for you?

My car only took few days.

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moO moO nEL View Post
Maybe they have ordered a left hand drive car for you?
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Which dealer did you buy from?

My car arrived on February 11th in Brisbane and was available for pickup on February 22nd

I'd be interested to see how many KM's come on your new car. Mine had 39km - excessive in my opinion! Dealer said the technician had to drive it around the block a few times to test it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post

I'd be interested to see how many KM's come on your new car. Mine had 39km - excessive in my opinion! Dealer said the technician had to drive it around the block a few times to test it!!
I bought it from Bruce Lynton, Gold Coast. But I think the dealer has nothing to with the delay, as they haven't got the car yet. So 11 days turnaround like your car is impossible in my case.

I'll let you know the km once I got the car. Which dealer you got yours from? 39Km sounds a bit excessive.

Last edited by ed-320d; 03-06-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
speaking of new cars, dad got his last night
      03-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post

My car arrived on February 11th in Brisbane and was available for pickup on February 22nd

Test what? Total BS. They were having you on. I reckon your poor car reached redline no less than 10 times in that THIRTY NINE (read it and weep) km "test" drive.
      03-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
speaking of new cars, dad got his last night
What did your dad get?
      03-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
Test what? Total BS. They were having you on. I reckon your poor car reached redline no less than 10 times in that THIRTY NINE (read it and weep) km "test" drive.
Hehehe your evil you low KM delivery reciever!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
not a bimmer... he got a GS, and before anyone bashes lexus - he loves it
      03-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
not a bimmer... he got a GS, and before anyone bashes lexus - he loves it
To each his own I guess. I was going to ask if was going to let you drive it but now that it's a Lexus, why bother. I'm sure it's comfortable, the build quality is good and, for your dad, drives well enough, but when I test drove the GS (yes, I had to try it for myself) I found myself too isloated from the outside world and didn't feel like I was driving. The steering wheel feedback was virtually non existant. And you can't get it in manual tranny.

Don't get me wrong, It's good that your dad is happy, but for me it just didn't stack up. And this IS a bmw forum.....
      03-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
adriant
Rep
Drives: 335i (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-320d View Post
According to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking information my car has been discharged in Brisbane on 27 February 2007.
Called up BMW and dealer today to find out the delivery date. I was told end of March 2007. The dealer said it would only take them 2 days to do the pre-delivery, the rest of the time the car would in BMW prep centre to prepare for Australian Design compliance.

Anyone have any idea why do BMW took so long? In case you think that car might be damaged in shipment, I was told that BMW took a month to prep the car to Australian Design Compliance the day I ordered the car. Does anyone had the same experience?
Hi, new member here - thought I'd share my experience - Car arrived in Melb on 7th Feb, and wasn't delivered to my dealer until 21st Feb - sitting in bond awaiting clearance by customs is what I was told. I picked up the car on the 26th Feb, as they had about 10 cars in that shipment that needed to go through Pre-Delivery, so I told them to not rush mine and do a proper job. Also, it had 11km's on the Odo.

AT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriant View Post
Hi, new member here - thought I'd share my experience - Car arrived in Melb on 7th Feb, and wasn't delivered to my dealer until 21st Feb - sitting in bond awaiting clearance by customs is what I was told. I picked up the car on the 26th Feb, as they had about 10 cars in that shipment that needed to go through Pre-Delivery, so I told them to not rush mine and do a proper job. Also, it had 11km's on the Odo.

AT
Thanks for your reply. It is comforting to know at least someone was in the same situation as myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriant View Post

AT
welcome adrian *waves*
      03-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To each his own I guess. I was going to ask if was going to let you drive it but now that it's a Lexus, why bother. I'm sure it's comfortable, the build quality is good and, for your dad, drives well enough, but when I test drove the GS (yes, I had to try it for myself) I found myself too isloated from the outside world and didn't feel like I was driving. The steering wheel feedback was virtually non existant. And you can't get it in manual tranny.

Don't get me wrong, It's good that your dad is happy, but for me it just didn't stack up. And this IS a bmw forum.....
yeh.. he likes that "floating" feeling... tried to persuade him to get the 550, but nooo all good, have ot say, it's a nice comfy car to drive - took it for a spin today, but i still wouldn't trade my bimmer for anything like it
      03-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

BMW"s pre - pre delivery location in on Kingsfordsmith Drive in Brisbane. It just moved there from Albion about a month ago. I walked through the place in Albion to see many cars in various states of undress. Compared to the dealership ..... it didn't look pretty but I surpose they need to get the cars to the high standards we expect. My only thought at the time was that all I could see were young apprentices working on the cars. One had it's full dashboard out. All plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #18
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
BMW"s pre - pre delivery location in on Kingsfordsmith Drive in Brisbane. It just moved there from Albion about a month ago. I walked through the place in Albion to see many cars in various states of undress. Compared to the dealership ..... it didn't look pretty but I surpose they need to get the cars to the high standards we expect. My only thought at the time was that all I could see were young apprentices working on the cars. One had it's full dashboard out. All plug and play.
Glad, some one knows the address of the pre-pre delivery. I was looking for the same in whitepages, but couldnt find it there. Not that I can do anything about it if I found the place
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #19
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yeh.. he likes that "floating" feeling... tried to persuade him to get the 550, but nooo all good, have ot say, it's a nice comfy car to drive - took it for a spin today, but i still wouldn't trade my bimmer for anything like it
550 would've been awesome. Did he get the V6 or V8?
      03-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
550 would've been awesome. Did he get the V6 or V8?
i'm not exactly sure i know the one we test drove went quick, but i dunno which one is the one he bought, i just hopped in and dordled up to the shops in it... probably the v6 due ot company policies and fleet junk and all that
      03-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #21
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Funny how you seem to know more about Bentleys than Lexuses!!
      03-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #22
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
what can i say... i like them better?