BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Seriously Dissapointed........

Recently I sold my ****** CP and Greddy Type S BOV to upgrade to a better style. The same day my CP/BOV sold I installed my stock CP/diverters and started making phone calls to STETT, ER, ETS and a couple other well known manufactors.

STETT
I have read great reviews and have also liked they way their setup looks. I make the phone call and a guy answers the phone. I tell him that i'm interested in getting some shipping information and to see if they have what I want in stock. He tells me that "Chad" is the guy I need to speak with for the N54 platform and that he really cant answer any of my questions. He then proceeded to tell me that Chad wouldn't be in for work for another 4 or so hours. I thought thats cool, I'll try back in a few hours. I make the second call about 4 1/2-5 hours later and the same guy answers the phone. I asked if Chad was available and he told me that he was under a car welding at the moment. I explained to him that I called earlier and I was wanting to place an order immediately if the parts were available. He then replied with "Well, he's really busy right now, is there a number I can have him call you back at?" I told him that I was in the military stationed in Germany. He then replies back with "Oh, just write him an email then and he will get back with you ASAP because he checks his email all the time and I will tell him personally". The guys tone in his voice just really came across as he didn't care if STETT sold any of their products nor if he even "CARED" period. I thought whatever, STETT is my first choice so I will write the email. I wrote the email Friday around noon time there. Two days later, still no reply.

I guess im just really shocked because I have heard such great things about STETT and their products/customer service.

EVOLUTION RACEWERKS
My second choice. Another charge pipe that has great reviews but im not crazy about a aluminum CP because of heat disapation. Anyways, I make the call after speaking with STETT. A guy answers the phone and I started asking my questions pertaining to shipping options and if they had what I needed in stock. Everything was going great untill I told him that I needed two bungs. He said they had no CP's in stock with 2 bungs because they dont sell a lot of them and they dont keep but 1 or 2 in stock at a time. When he said that, my jaw literally dropped. Is a dual nozzle really that rare these days??? He said he could possibly have one ready for delivery late next week. He did however make up for it by offering a $25.00 military discount.

Overall, not nearly as bad as STETT

ETS
Called several times. No answer

I guess all in all, I just think about our economy and why were are in the state we are in. People like me that are ready to throw $600+ dollars at a buisness and they never seem to have the products in stock or don't even seem intersted in selling their products.

Before I get too many replies saying that buisnesses can't stop everything to answer some questions(STETT). I told the guy I spoke with twice, I was calling from Germany and wanted to place an order over the phone if possible. Best he could come up with was "send Chad an email"

How about "Can I put you on hold sir while I get the answer(s) to your question(s), it might take a few minutes??"

I would have replied with "yes sir, you sure can!"

Sorry for the long rant
-Nickr:
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I know how you feel man. We pay good money and customer service goes a long way. More often that not I have been swayed to buy another product based on my experience with who I am dealing with.

By the way, I'm in the same situation as you and I'm leaning towards the ER CP with Synapse BOV.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

I apologize for the inconvenience about not having stock on the configuration you wanted. You spoke with me as I do remember the conversation.

The problem really lies with us offering too many different configurations of our charge pipe. It's hard to keep all the different configurations in stock. We offer 3 different finishes (polished, anodized black and brushed). We offer 4 different DV or BOV options (so 3x4=12). Now 3 options for meth (none, 1 or 2) so that's (12x3=36). That's 36 possible combination. Now if we were to stock just 5 of each that's 180 charge pipes! Also, keep in mind, we need to stock the BOVs as well as we require the flanges to weld onto these pipes in stock. As you can see even 50 charge pipes in stock is a TON of $ to keep on the shelves.

So thus, on combination that have low volume, we only stock 2. Really, we probably sell a few handful of 2 bungs a month in various different combos. So thus it's considered low volume. You'd be surprised how many customers don't want bungs and don't want a charge pipe with a meth bung even though it's capped and sealed.

Unfortunately, you just called at a bad time when the stock ran out and we haven't started a new production run to refill stock.

As I told you over the phone, I could get a polished unit ready by the next day as we build them in house and I could get one of my fabricators to build yours right away. The problem lies in that you wanted an anodized unit which we don't anodize in house and had to send it out. That takes a few days to get back as we do not have direct control on when the item gets anodized.

Now, there was talk here about trying to streamline things and not have so many different options but at the same time, having all these options is what sets us apart from others.

If you're still interested, we have a batch at the anodizer that should be back at the end of the week. I'm pretty sure what you wanted is in that batch as it is was out of stock when you called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Recently I sold my ****** CP and Greddy Type S BOV to upgrade to a better style. The same day my CP/BOV sold I installed my stock CP/diverters and started making phone calls to STETT, ER, ETS and a couple other well known manufactors.

STETT
I have read great reviews and have also liked they way their setup looks. I make the phone call and a guy answers the phone. I tell him that i'm interested in getting some shipping information and to see if they have what I want in stock. He tells me that "Chad" is the guy I need to speak with for the N54 platform and that he really cant answer any of my questions. He then proceeded to tell me that Chad wouldn't be in for work for another 4 or so hours. I thought thats cool, I'll try back in a few hours. I make the second call about 4 1/2-5 hours later and the same guy answers the phone. I asked if Chad was available and he told me that he was under a car welding at the moment. I explained to him that I called earlier and I was wanting to place an order immediately if the parts were available. He then replied with "Well, he's really busy right now, is there a number I can have him call you back at?" I told him that I was in the military stationed in Germany. He then replies back with "Oh, just write him an email then and he will get back with you ASAP because he checks his email all the time and I will tell him personally". The guys tone in his voice just really came across as he didn't care if STETT sold any of their products nor if he even "CARED" period. I thought whatever, STETT is my first choice so I will write the email. I wrote the email Friday around noon time there. Two days later, still no reply.

I guess im just really shocked because I have heard such great things about STETT and their products/customer service.

EVOLUTION RACEWERKS
My second choice. Another charge pipe that has great reviews but im not crazy about a aluminum CP because of heat disapation. Anyways, I make the call after speaking with STETT. A guy answers the phone and I started asking my questions pertaining to shipping options and if they had what I needed in stock. Everything was going great untill I told him that I needed two bungs. He said they had no CP's in stock with 2 bungs because they dont sell a lot of them and they dont keep but 1 or 2 in stock at a time. When he said that, my jaw literally dropped. Is a dual nozzle really that rare these days??? He said he could possibly have one ready for delivery late next week. He did however make up for it by offering a $25.00 military discount.

Overall, not nearly as bad as STETT

ETS
Called several times. No answer

I guess all in all, I just think about our economy and why were are in the state we are in. People like me that are ready to throw $600+ dollars at a buisness and they never seem to have the products in stock or don't even seem intersted in selling their products.

Before I get too many replies saying that buisnesses can't stop everything to answer some questions(STETT). I told the guy I spoke with twice, I was calling from Germany and wanted to place an order over the phone if possible. Best he could come up with was "send Chad an email"

How about "Can I put you on hold sir while I get the answer(s) to your question(s), it might take a few minutes??"

I would have replied with "yes sir, you sure can!"

Sorry for the long rant
-Nickr:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Oh BTW, the notion that steel dissipates heat better than aluminum is completely wrong. Aluminum dissipates heat considerably better. This is why almost all heat exchangers are made out of aluminum. Radiators, intercoolers, heat sinks in your computer etc... all made out of aluminum for this reason.

Anyone telling you that steel dissipates better than aluminum does not know basic physics or just trying to sell you something (marketing). You don't even need to know physics. A quick google search will tell you the right answer. Their argument is that when you touch an aluminum pipe vs a steel one, the aluminum pipe is hotter so thus steel dissipates heat better. That's really a bad explanation. Heat comes from somewhere. In this case, it's coming from the intake air traveling inside the pipe. Since aluminum dissipates heat better, the heat from the intake air inside the pipe travels outwards towards the outside of the pipe much better. Thus, when you touch it, you feel the heat dissipating from the intake air inside the pipe whereas a steel since it doesn't dissipate heat better, keeps the air inside the pipe, hence why you don't feel as much heat.

Aluminum is also much more expensive raw material than steel. If it dissipated heat better, don't you think heat exchangers would be made out of steel?

Also, have you seen the inside of a steel pipe after being in a car for a few months with methanol injection? Rust galore.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
KBMW222
Rep
Drives: B8 A5

Great support and follow up Fred.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMW222 View Post
Great support and follow up Fred.
+1 spot on responses
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
Oh BTW, the notion that steel dissipates heat better than aluminum is completely wrong. Aluminum dissipates heat considerably better. This is why almost all heat exchangers are made out of aluminum. Radiators, intercoolers, heat sinks in your computer etc... all made out of aluminum for this reason.

All true! But, some of my heat sinks have a bit of gold plating on them, or at least a gold contact disk on the bottom. Go big or go home! So, hurry up and design me a gold intercooler...LOL.

Also, My ER CP and Synapse BOV should be here by the end of the week I hope...and I am one of the guys that ordered one with no meth bung.

Last edited by JHOOPS2; 03-16-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0