2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Edmunds pans the F10 audio system

03-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

Edmunds pans the F10 audio system

Well, now I am depressed. Current owners - anyone care to refute this?

2011 BMW 528i: Audio System

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Ict528i
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i alpine white

My wifes lexus kicks my bmw's tail in terms of audio. But she does not have ipad/iphone integration and she doesnt have the drive I do either. But it would be nice if we could have it all. Is it that hard to produce decent audio?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
totally subjective. If you are Mario Andretti every car is going to seem slow and dimwitted. If you're Quincy Jones, perhaps you'll be able to differentiate certain sound qualities. The only thing that matters is that you (yes you personally) like the stereo or not. If you've every listened to the base audio in a 328i loaner you know it's pretty poor. This is not the case with the F10. I found the base stereo to be more than sufficient and the premium stereo to be excellent.
So unless you're some audiophile, I doubt it will be that much of an issue.
      03-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

With all respect, the edmuns are eating sh1t!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I kind of agree with their assessment. I spent some time testing both the F10 and the Mercedes E550. Both are really the same and both aren't that great. I even brought my own CDs and DVD-As. Both systems tend to sound better with Logic 7 turned off (with most source content) but still nothing to be excited about.

They are okay systems but not that great. For the premium option price, it's too much money, imho.

The Jaguar Bowers and Wilkins system was better. Not super spectacular but still quite a bit better.

Although I've yet to hear it, the SLS has probably the best system currently available. It's a B&O Beosound system that was designed specifically for that car. Unfortunately it's an option that's around 9k USD. http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...-sound-system/ Audi A8 has a 6.5k USD B&O option, too.

If BMW (and others) offer a 'premium' sound system option, then they should be really truly good. The current premium option should be the base system, and then they need to offer a true premium system option, imho.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
M1rcea
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d

I don't think it's a good idea to compare these systems by costs. Let's not forget that you pay a lot of money for the brand names.
B&O is great for their "sound lens" technology, which projects pinpoint accurate staging. The Hi-fi pro (as it's called in Europe) in the f10 also does that, without being branded B&O, the clarity of the sound is exceptional and noise-free (thanks to the Dirac Live filters - http://www.dirac.se/dirac_live.asp).
You can find here, http://www.dirac.se/media.asp, a bunch of reviews by German magazines that are very well researched and proffesional written articles compared to Edmunds' review.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

wow, if thats the review on the premium hifi I wonder what it would be on the standard, which I find to be pretty darn good. From what I understand quality is lost when moving music from CD to itunes (never noticed it) but when I plug my ipod into the hookup, my standard 5 series radio cranks!
      03-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Don't read reviews based entirely on somebody's subjective listening experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

Anyone who wants butt-shaking bass;1-should be treated with vilipend,2-probably doesn't get Bach and 3-should carry on thinking that in Rap,music has reached its zenith.
P.S. Pro hifi(Europe) is fabulous for Classic/Jazz/Spoken word.If you want your posterior shaken there are numerous firms selling after-market items with so many giga-Watts of power to give you that true gangster nuance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

First of all, BMW audio has never been good, although now it's much better than it ever was.

Secondly, I'll wager that the reviewer did all of his testing with the car stationary. How the system sounds while the car is moving, with all of the associated road noise, wind noise, engine noise is where most of us actually do our listening. These systems are tuned to accommodate all of those conditions.

Thirdly, I care primarily how the car drives, handles and rides, not about the stereo. If that was my priority, I'd buy a Lexus where obviously driving feedback is not a consideration. Not a slam against Lexus, they are great cars for people who enjoy driving a Buick but want something nicer.

Fourth, no factory system is going to please everyone. If you want a kick-butt system, you go aftermarket. Throw in some powered subs, better speakers, etc. That will usually cost less than getting their "premium" system.

Branding is for wimps. I don't care if it says B&O or H-K (who used to do some BMW premium stereos, if I recall correctly) or Radio Shack, and I don't want to pay for the name. I'd rather that they just put in a decent system.

I think the stock (not premium) system in the F10 is decent. It does some great things with the spatial imaging and has fair clarity. Could it be better? Without a doubt. Is the car too damn expensive already? You bet. Am I glad that they didn't put in a "better" system and charge me another $1000 for a designer name? You betcha.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
hilljf
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Xdrive

Its Good

I find it to be really good. Does it compare to the $40k system in my house, well no, but then my house doesn't drive as well as my BMW either.

Its a great system for the price and when combined with the car, the sum total is awsome!

John
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
sequal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 2011

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
"The woofers under the front seats couldn't muster butt-shaking low bass -- but did induced a bit of annoying panel rattle on some of the deepest notes."

I agree and its very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

People are missing the point. It's not about "branding being for wimps" (um, you do buy a BMW F10 because you know the brand and have certain expectations), nor comparing prices, nor comparing home systems versus mobile systems. Edmunds even clearly states that brand names do not necessarily equate to great quality given each specific car (acoustic space.)

It's about charging an option price for a relatively mediocre sound system. And that's what Edmunds is primarily trying to point out. Maybe BMW should just call it an "upgrade" option instead of "premium."

As far as a system "tuned" for stationary versus moving, that's nonsense. Road conditions, tire tread noise, weather conditions, all make for a huge variety of ambient noise. That's why Edmunds tests while stationary yet with the motor idling (since different cars have their own different motor sound decibels.)

Auto mfgs pick from vendors and speakers are placed with certain compromises to accommodate space, design, and assembly. Only when you get into very expensive OEM or aftermarket options are they custom designed for a specific car (like the B&O Beosound for the SLS), and then they tend to get very expensive.

Edmunds is not being "solely subjective" and if you take the time to read their test procedure you'll note it uses specific recordings that have test tracks on them (which is something Edmunds started doing several years ago) http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/sound-advice.html

We all use brand names when comparing only because the systems are branded. Jaguar uses B+W, Audi uses B&O, BMW and MB uses Harman, etc.. Systems are better not because of the cost or the brand, but because of the individual components and the layout in a contained and poor aural space (i.e., a car.) And brands are associated with those specific components and known build qualities. Just like we associate all branded products, including a BMW.

If you're happy with the system, then fine. If you can't tell the difference between a compressed MP3 file and a SACD, then fine. If you don't listen to recordings released by companies like Mapleshade or Water Lily and can't tell the difference, then fine. Or if you just want loud sound and blasting bass (and not wide mid-tone or high note separations), then fine. But it's only "subjective' until you learn to be really discerning, as any musician will tell you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Chris McCallan
550i Zurück bleiben
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)

I listen to talk radio, sometimes that makes me clinch my cheeks; is that the same as butt-shakin bass ?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

I'm no audiophile.......thank God as I already have enough hobbies to waste money on. I have, however, had a life-long appreciation for and love of music ranging from Classic Rock and Blues to Electronic and Classical.

Having said that, I think the premium system in the F10 sounds excellent. Of course coming from a late model Carrera with Porsche's truly horrific "premium" Bose system (supposedly designed specifically for the car) maybe I just haven't been truly spoiled yet. My Grandmother could, no doubt, tell that system was lame.

In general I've been very pleased with the sound quality of every system I've had in my numerous BMW's with the exception of the standard system in a 2004 X5. The current systems sound better to my ears than the older H&K systems which also sounded pretty great to me.

And anyway, even though it's beside the point, the F10 is such a serene place to be I tend to leave the stereo off and enjoy its soothing environment in near silence.
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 03-16-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #16
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

um my hi fi system is fantastic in my f10
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #17
northernsole
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d F11

How bad/good is the standard system? My F11 is delivered in the next couple of weeks and I had tried to upgrade to the premium system but my dealer failed to give me any cut off dates so it was too late, now stuck with standard system
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #18
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

I test drove an F11 before I bought mine and it had the standard system and seemed much better than previous standard (and note I mean standard in the european/uk sense...US standard = BMW Business Speaker package which is an option for us over here) systems i've had in both the E60 and E92.

saying that this time i did go for the "BMW Business Speaker package" option and its very good for the money it cost but I'm sure the standard system will not disappoint either......again depends on how loud you like to crank it up and what kind of music experience you want in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
karmakal
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G30 530D (iX50 on order)

Very pleased with the Premium sound system with Dirac.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #20
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

My standard sound system is just terrible!

if no options to after-sale-upgrade, then i'll probably be selling the car, and going back to my Nissan SUV with the rocking Bose sound system.

As far as I'm concerned the most important part of any sedan is the sound system.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
yreiser
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Forget about this review. I think the tester doesn't even know all features of the system. For example, he states :
"While overall the iDrive interface has improved, the process for getting to a specific track on an iPod is still frustrating.", although we all know that one can easily just speak the name of the artist or the track using voice control, so you can quickly select every single iPod track even without entering any menu.

@stickypaws : The actual system is not Logic7, but Dirac, so there is no L7 option to turn off.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #22
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yreiser View Post

@stickypaws : The actual system is not Logic7, but Dirac, so there is no L7 option to turn off.
How is it spec'd in NA versus ROW? Is Dirac Live® in the 677 option everywhere? It seems that there's the "premium" option in NA (or at least the US, not sure about Canada) then the "professional" in other markets. In Brazil the "professional" is also a "L7 Professional Loudspeakers System" which is also code 677. There seems to be a mixture of available Dirac and Logic 7 systems marketed as either "premium" or "professional" depending on geographical market
Appreciate 0