E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > High beam assist

03-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

High beam assist

How does the high beam assist work and whats it for ? I think its standard in a visibility package.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

High beam assistant is automatic dipping and switching on main beam. I have it and love it, you never need to think about dipping the lights. Others I have heard do not like it but for me its a very cheap great convenience factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
High beam assistant is automatic dipping and switching on main beam. I have it and love it, you never need to think about dipping the lights. Others I have heard do not like it but for me its a very cheap great convenience factor.
OK, but how does it work ?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I have it too, it uses an additional longer range light sensor behind the mirror to see oncoming lights and put on high beam or dip accordingly. You use the high beam stalk to put it on and you get a little 'auto' symbol on the dash. You can disable it if you want.

It's ok for unlit dual carriageways etc, but for typical British country roads and minor A and B roads its a liability IMO.

I find it has some dangerous issues:

1. It is a bit slow to dip and often dazzles oncoming cars who then flash you or don't dip either. Only a fraction slow, but that's all it takes.

2. It is a bit slow to restore high beam and leaves you unable to see after a car has passed for half a second or so.

3. It won't allow high beam below 30mph as it 'assumes' you must be in a built up area, so when you slow for a tight bend in a country lane or A road the damn thing dips your lights just when you need them most!

4. It often mistakes reflective road signs ahead for oncoming cars and dips your lights again just when you need them.

It can never be as good as a human because it has to wait until it sees the oncoming lights, whereas you can see them way off, reflected on telephone wires or hedgerows / barriers etc.

Also when you pass a car going the other way you would put high beam on at the exact time you pass the car, not wait a half second or so first.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-18-2011 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I have it too, it uses an additional longer range light sensor behind the mirror to see oncoming lights and put on high beam or dip accordingly. You can disable it if you want.

I find it has some dangerous issues:

1. It is a bit slow to dip and often dazzles oncoming cars who then flash you. Only a fraction slow, but that's all it takes.

2. It is a bit slow to restore high beam and leaves you unable to see after a car has passed for half a second or so.

3. It won't allow high beam below 30mph as it 'assumes' you must be in a built up area, so when you slow for a tight bend in a country lane or A road the damn thing dips your lights just when you need them most!

4. It often mistakes reflective road signs for oncoming cars and dips your lights again just when you need them.

It can never be as good as a human because it has to wait until it sees the oncoming lights, whereas you can see them way off, reflected on the under side of telephone wires etc.

Also when you pass a car going the other way you would put high beam on at the exact time you pass the car, not wait a half second or so first.
I have the same problems with mine, the reflective road signs are the biggest annoyance, especially when the sign that throws the sensor off is a sharp corner sign.

Also if you try to manually turn off the the high beam and the sensor decides its going to turn off at the same time it causes you to flash the oncoming driver.

Along with the over zealous auto windscreen wipers I leave it turned off. I don't tend to use high beam at all so it's no big loss.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I have the same problems with mine, the reflective road signs are the biggest annoyance, especially when the sign that throws the sensor off is a sharp corner sign.
Exactly - the black and white chevron signs warning of dangerous bends are the worst culprits for leaving you in the dark when you least expect it!!!

When I use it I end up with my fingers hovering over the dip stalk and thinking "hurry up, hurry up" before over riding it as its too slow!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Agree it can be slightly slower than a human in dipping for oncoming cars, you always have that will it won't it dip moment.
Appreciate 0