E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is there a Quieter DP/exhaust setup out there?

03-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Is there a Quieter DP/exhaust setup out there?

I just got my car back from the shop and have AR catless downpipes with a Vanguard exhaust. The car is pretty loud, actually louder than I really want. I'm sure some love it, but I’ve had loud/aggressive sounding cars in the past and I'm kinda over it. The power is great, and the Stg 2 tune is awesome but I really want the car to be quieter.

I have searched pretty extensively on exhaust options and vids don't do these exhausts justice and opinions are all over the place.

I'm thinking if I get catted downpipes that will help with the noise and make the car a little more civil. I'm sure I’ll lose some power but I'm ok with that if it’s a little quieter.

So I'm interested to hear what setups people have (DPs/exhaust), and what the noise level is like?

What are your opinions on catted vs. catless DP's for sound?

Finally, what is the most quiet catback exhaust out there? The bmw performance exhaust isn't a option because it isn't catback.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I just got my car back from the shop and have AR catless downpipes with a Vanguard exhaust. The car is pretty loud, actually louder than I really want. I'm sure some love it, but I’ve had loud/aggressive sounding cars in the past and I'm kinda over it. The power is great, and the Stg 2 tune is awesome but I really want the car to be quieter.

I have searched pretty extensively on exhaust options and vids don't do these exhausts justice and opinions are all over the place.

I'm thinking if I get catted downpipes that will help with the noise and make the car a little more civil. I'm sure I’ll lose some power but I'm ok with that if it’s a little quieter.

So I'm interested to hear what setups people have (DPs/exhaust), and what the noise level is like?

What are your opinions on catted vs. catless DP's for sound?

Finally, what is the most quiet catback exhaust out there? The bmw performance exhaust isn't a option because it isn't catback.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

the rennART resonated exhaust is the quietest exhaust available that i've heard, its got a good sound but not loud at all.

you can always buy some vibrant resonators and have them welded into your exhaust you have now to quiet it down considerably and eliminate rasp
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Interesting, i'll have to look that exhaust up. Thanks

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, i'll have to look that exhaust up. Thanks
if your not far from hillsborough nj, let me know, feel free to come by, the shop car has riss racing dps and the rennART exhaust set up on it, so you can hear it in person instead of you tube videos
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Nice, actually I travel up to Hoboken all the time and will give you a call to come by and hear it. Thats a great idea!

Right now the resonated version looks pretty good, I assume your shop car has the resonated version?

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice, actually I travel up to Hoboken all the time and will give you a call to come by and hear it. Thats a great idea!

Right now the resonated version looks pretty good, I assume your shop car has the resonated version?
hoboken is pretty far away from hillsborough, we are in central jersey by somerset/princeton/north, south brunswick

and yes we have the resonated version, its very timid yet if you get on it you know you have an exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

damn I wish I had your problems I want my car to be much louder lol
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
fla10335i
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeeper Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
Only if our cars had external wastegates....would that be loud enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
TLO03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E

Let us listen.. maybe a vid.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

I have britalman exhaust its very quite.
      03-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Vangaurd exhaust is loud to begin with and they have resonators already I have CPE exhaust with resonates added and it's considerably not as loud as the same setup compared to vanguard catless exhaust. I would look into exhaust that has xpipe instead of h-piPe
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
BobS
Colonel
Rep

I'm going to check out the AK shop car with the RennTech resonated version. Sounds like it may be just what I'm looking for.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Vangaurd exhaust is loud to begin with and they have resonators already I have CPE exhaust with resonates added and it's considerably not as loud as the same setup compared to vanguard catless exhaust. I would look into exhaust that has xpipe instead of h-piPe
you should listen to my vanguard without the resonaters then =D
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Figured I would provide a little update....

Call me crazy but this exhaust/sound is growing on me. It seems to be deeper and sound better as it gets more miles on it. I love the gurgling sounds it makes at low speed and it absolutely screams at WOT. I'm probably going to end up keeping it.

I took my fiancé on a hour ride to visit my parents and she didn't think it was to loud at all, she even feel asleep in the car lol!

Oh and I think the big thing that makes a difference is temperature. I drove the car in 38 degree weather and it was loud as hell, in 75 degree weather it sounded much better!

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
KLin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335i

That's good to know because that was the same exact setup that I'm looking into. Did you install the AR DPs at the same time as the Vanguard? I'm just wondering if having stock DPs and the Vanguard would be noticeable quieter.
      03-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

My setup was just too loud. I had vk catless and cpe catback and holy wake the dead, loud! I was even drowning out mustangs WITH exhausts. In my garage, if I started the car, things vibrated off the might table upstairs. Got cpe catted dp and still loud. Next got 2 resonators and got bastuck axle back and then livable. Finally, couldn't take it anymore. Threw in my stock dp back exhaust. Back to the civil world.

Bob, if you have a chance, I'd love an opinion on the renart system! I have ms catless dps I'm going to put on as I NEED the power so catback will be needed. Again
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
the rennart is the most quiet but i thought they stopped making them no?

badass335: your best bet is to run catless DP's, keep your secondary cats on and do the golf tee mod. the OEM muffler sounds pretty nice if your remove some restrictions!
      03-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaifaun View Post
the rennart is the most quiet but i thought they stopped making them no?

badass335: your best bet is to run catless DP's, keep your secondary cats on and do the golf tee mod. the OEM muffler sounds pretty nice if your remove some restrictions!
I appreciate the feedback! The question I have is how much power is lost running the secondary cats and resonators? As for sound, I want as little as possible but all the benefits of free flow!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

the stock exhaust flows pretty darn well once the secondary cats are removed.

i have been running AR CL 3" downpipes into a CL stock exhaust for over a year now with excellent results.

there are maybe 5HP max to be found over a CL stock exhaust with a louder aftermarket exhaust. not worth it if you ask me.

make sure you watch in HD for better sound quality

i am actually in the process of bringing my car back to stock as i will be trading it in within the next few weeks.

my modified stock exhaust is for sale if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
Ya me too. I have AMS exhaust with ar catless and I want more noise!!!
      03-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
Ya me too. I have AMS exhaust with ar catless and I want more noise!!!
delete secondary cats or go for straight pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I appreciate the feedback! The question I have is how much power is lost running the secondary cats and resonators? As for sound, I want as little as possible but all the benefits of free flow!
np

oh you have a sedan? in that case if you are okay with the smell and emissions issue, cut the secondary cats out. Keep the resonator in there or else it will be too raspy for your taste. Then put in catless or catted DPs. (catless dp throws codes).

if you are looking for more sound, then do the golf tee mod or you can always remove the resonators later on. The stock exhaust is pretty free flowing (except for the secondary cats and DP's, and some crushed piping in some places)

No power is lost when you remove the cats. You GAIN power. you gain around 5-10 whp and you get more response and faster spool when you cut the cats. In my experience removing the resonators didn't give any noticeable gains on the butt dyno.