BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

UK 1M Options

What sort of options are people putting on their 1M's?

I've put in the provisional order, with Pro Nav, Bluetooth prep, USB Audio, HK Upgrade, Heated Seats, folding mirrors.

There seems to be several options for phone prep on the online UK configurator, not sure what the difference is apart from price. Two types of USB - audio and phone, and mobile application prep, in addition to the £500 odd phone preparation.

All I'd want is my iPhone to pair and operate seamlessly and either play music through that or my old gen iPod which lives in my glovebox as I do with my current car.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hi Shost,

You looking for folk's full spec, or just wondering about the sound system and phone side of things? If it's the latter, sorry I can't help.

Last edited by johnsfb; 03-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: better answer
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bit of both. Wondering what options are really worth the money or gimmicky i.e comfort access. Seen a few threads for the Harman Kardon kit, so feel that this is an option I'd pay for.

Not sure about the interface for the audio. In my current Civic, the set up works well. 30Gb iPod plugs into a cubby in the dash through the Apple connector (not 2mm Jack), playlists have to be set up the very first time so it recognises them. Once done it works well. But you can't see the track data. My iPhone 4 also can plug into the same connector instead. And despite displaying a "this accessory is not compatible message" works simulataneously as both a bluetooth voice activated phone and iPod. Which BMW system is the most effective?

A relative has an 08 MY X3 and the phone struggles to connect and you needed a separate cable for audio, meaning extra wires hanging round and on "display".
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Try this...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483786
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Valencia Orange Metallic B44
Windscreen with grey shade band 3AP
Sun protection glass 420
Exterior Mirrors, folding & auto-dim 430
Seat Heating 494
Adaptive Headlights 524
Radio Professional 663
Harman/Kardon Loudspeakers 688
CD Changer Preparation 694
USB Audio Interface 6FL
BlueTooth Hands Free Facility 6NN
Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline 760

No NAVI, No SharksFin !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

313 Exterior mirrors, folding in combination with 430
3AP Windscreen with grey shade band
420 Sun protection glass
430 Exterior mirrors - folding, automatically dimming
468 Through-loading modular ski bag
494 Seat heating, front
524 Adaptive Headlights
5AC High-beam Assistant
609 Navigation system - BMW Professional Multimedia
612 BMW Assist
616 BMW Assist online portal
620 Voice Control, In combination with 609 and 633 and Z4F
633 Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics
654 DAB digital radio
688 Loudspeaker system - harman/kardon, In combination with 609 / 663
694 CD changer preparation
6FL USB audio interface
6NF Telephone USB audio interface
6NR Mobile application preparation, In combination with 6NF
760 Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline.
MET Metallic paintwork - BSM
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Wondering what options are really worth the money or gimmicky i.e comfort access.
IMHO people should steer clear of Comfort Access - it's rumoured to have a serious security loophole!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Metallic, USB interface and (by default) Professional CD/Radio.

Learnt my lesson a long time ago about options, you're just kissing that money goodbye. You might get a small fraction of the £2k back from the Nav but the rest just goes straight down the gurgler.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
Learnt my lesson a long time ago about options, you're just kissing that money goodbye.
I agree, nobody should spec options with the expectation of them being worth anything at resale - but at least we can enjoy them in the meantime!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Metallic, USB interface and (by default) Professional CD/Radio.

Learnt my lesson a long time ago about options, you're just kissing that money goodbye. You might get a small fraction of the £2k back from the Nav but the rest just goes straight down the gurgler.
I also learnt my lesson and was so gutted with my last E90 330D because it had so little options including hifi and NAV that I sold it.

This time I am not making the same mistake. Nearly fully loaded!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Just noticed a couple of you guys have gone for CD changer prep, I did this on my 135 a couple of years ago expecting to be able to just slot in a cheap changer sourced from eBay but all you get for your £35 is a wire under the boot floor. You'd still have to buy the trim panels, mounting brackets etc if you wanted to fit the changer. Way cheaper just to spend the £300 and get the changer factory fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just noticed a couple of you guys have gone for CD changer prep, I did this on my 135 a couple of years ago expecting to be able to just slot in a cheap changer sourced from eBay but all you get for your £35 is a wire under the boot floor. You'd still have to buy the trim panels, mounting brackets etc if you wanted to fit the changer. Way cheaper just to spend the £300 and get the changer factory fitted.
Yeah, I know - I'm not planning on fitting a CD changer! I'm happy with the iPod integration. I've spec'd it as a fall-back position for not choosing DAB Radio, in case some idiot decides to stop normal broadcasting on FM in a few years time. The CD changer prep option gives you the power & optical comms (MOST) cables in a convienient location to retro-fit the DAB radio module that normally lives above the headlining. For £35 I figured it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #13
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

As I mentioned earlier I went a bit mad a few years ago with the options on a 3 series. Here's a quick run down on what I thought of them as most are available on the 1.

High Beam Assistant - would be excellent if you could rely on it to work 110% of the time. But you can't so you continually have to have your hand ready to dip manually. Not worth the cash, even at ~£100.

Adaptive Headlights - They don't turn anywhere near as much as you'd expect them to so while they light up a bit more of the verge on left-handers, they make no difference to your vision on right-handers.

Comfort Access - Great if you live somewhere dry like Dubai but I found it infuriating when it was wet as you have to stand like an idiot with your finger on the handle for about a second waiting for it to lock (it doesn't auto lock when it detects the key fob out of range) Obviously, you could just press the lock button on the fob as you walk / run away but that sort of defeats the object really?

Harmon / Kardon speakers - had these on the 3 and my 135, very good I have to say and streets ahead of the Bose system on my current Audi. But worth £900??? I think not.

USB Interface (iPod dock) - Works reasonably well but make sure you get the £45 "Y Cable" thrown in for free as your white iPod cable doesn't allow full functionality. BMW should make this clear in the brochure when describing the option.

Navigation Professional - Well, you know better than me how much use you'd get out of this and how cheap you can get a Tom Tom or a Nav app for. I can't remember if it had full postcode entry or not, but for £2k I'd hope so.

DAB - Worked ok when you were in range, sound quality actually no better than FM, just hiss free. It'll be many years before they switch off FM, if ever, so I'd avoid.

In my experience options make your car more valuable / saleable to the dealer used but no more valuable to you as a trade-in. Take a loaded car and a stripper, the trade-in prices offered to the customer aren't very different but the sticker prices when they hit the forecourt most definitely are. Who's won there? Get them if you know you'll get the use / enjoyment out of them and are happy to wave that cash away, but avoid otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
USB Interface (iPod dock) - Works reasonably well but make sure you get the £45 "Y Cable" thrown in for free as your white iPod cable doesn't allow full functionality. BMW should make this clear in the brochure when describing the option.
Below is a post from 'analogue' (made in the link I provided earlier)

"Last September BMW made changes to both 6FL (iPod/USB) and 639 (Bluetooth) and I would assume the updated versions will appear in the 1M.

Specifically, you should be able to stream audio over Bluetooth and the iPod no longer uses a Y Cable so you have a direct digital connection."

I'm still hedging my bets and going for both Bluetooth & iPod - just in case my next mobile isn't an iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Piglet82
Rep
Drives: 1M!!

Hi 1Mer referring to your post on the 19th re comfort access, is it possible you could elaborate on the rumoured loophole as i have added this as an option and may want to delete it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

As I understand it...

You park your car somewhere and visit a local bar nearby. You lock the car as normal and go inside. The thief approaches your car and touches the handle. This causes the car to send out an authentication signal to see if the key fob is within range. Usually, the range is only a few yards and so the car won't unlock.
However, there have been reports that thieves are using electronic equipment to detect that signal from the car and relay it to a location near where you're sitting. While you're having a drink, your key fob gets the signal from the car and replies with the correct authentication. This gets relayed back to the car and the car opens the door. The thief starts the engine and drives off with your car. Once the engine is started then the car won't turn off even if the key fob subsequently goes out of range - manufacturers do this so that there isn't a problem if the batteries on the key-fob die while driving.

Aside from this, IMHO, the operation of the comfort access is far from ideal. You have to touch the door handle to get it to unlock. If you have passengers, you have to get within range of the car before any of the doors will open. That's not always the case if your passengers are walking in front of you. You also have to touch to door handle to get it to lock - it doesn't auto-lock as you walk away (in case there are small children, etc. still inside who then can't get out!). Again that means you have to be the last one to leave your position near the door handle.

Finally, as Schnorbitz said, it's not great in the rain!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Piglet82
Rep
Drives: 1M!!

Many thanks for the insight, has definitely got me thinking on whether i should proceed. Although my dealer did say that the car would not get more than 10 metres (approx) without the key being in range but who knows what kind of tactics thieves will come up with to get around this.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

[QUOTE=1Mer;9175765]"Last September BMW made changes to both 6FL (iPod/USB) and 639 (Bluetooth) and I would assume the updated versions will appear in the 1M.

Specifically, you should be able to stream audio over Bluetooth and the iPod no longer uses a Y Cable so you have a direct digital connection."

I'm still hedging my bets and going for both Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Great info Schnorbitz. Just the sort of info I wanted. Just had a call from my dealer who is gonna arrange a demo of the Mobile Apps and Mobile USB. As he explained it as above your iPhone will sync with the car wirelessly allowing you to stream content from your phone to the car navigation screen and control it vica versa. I.e you could watch TV from iphonetvcatch up, check facebook or play Angry Birds. Or do useful things like check train and traffic updates.

Sounds like if it works well, it might be a useful option to add.

I'm happier about not getting the headlight upgrades and the comfort access as these were ones in particular where I wanted to know if they worked daily.

Unless anyone champions these options I'm leaving them unticked!

p.s dealer also trying to arrange a test drive in an 1M!!! watch this space!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Great info Schnorbitz. Just the sort of info I wanted. Just had a call from my dealer who is gonna arrange a demo of the Mobile Apps and Mobile USB. As he explained it as above your iPhone will sync with the car wirelessly allowing you to stream content from your phone to the car navigation screen and control it vica versa. I.e you could watch TV from iphonetvcatch up, check facebook or play Angry Birds. Or do useful things like check train and traffic updates.

Sounds like if it works well, it might be a useful option to add.

I'm happier about not getting the headlight upgrades and the comfort access as these were ones in particular where I wanted to know if they worked daily.

Unless anyone champions these options I'm leaving them unticked!

p.s dealer also trying to arrange a test drive in an 1M!!! watch this space!
Nice one Shost, where's your dealer located if you don't mind me asking?

I wasn't interested in any of the options apart from folding mirrors and iPhone prep. After much deliberation, I also went for the Sat Nav.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

My 2p worth...

My 1M is replacing my Individual E91 330d, which already has all the available option for the 1M.

Comfort Access - out - too much faff
DAB - in - you will notice the difference
HK - in - hifi upgrading is so 2011
Ext mirrors dimming - in - night time motorways much less tiring
NAV - in - so much more than a nav
Highbeam - out - never can trust it
Adaptive - out - keeps going wrong (previous E60 did it also)
USB - in - if you don't have iphone
Seat heat - in - you use it more than expected

Hope that helps.

PS. I'm sure someone at BMW told me BSM ones are going to be faster that the others....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet82 View Post
Although my dealer did say that the car would not get more than 10 metres (approx) without the key being in range
Maybe, I've only heard rumours about it! Try Googling

"Relay Attacks on Passive Keyless Entry and Start Systems in Modern Cars"
Appreciate 0