2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding IDrive stops working

03-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
AndyM21
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Auto

IDrive stops working

Just picked up my new 520d in Alpine White with Oyster/Black leather, Sports Auto, Professional Nav, Xenons, DAB, Business HIFi etc.
Absolutely love it!

But, within the first full day of having it, the IDrive stoppped working completely - black screen no radio, no parking sensors etc. Took it back to dealer. By time they went out to it - it was OK again.
This has happened 4 or 5 times now and seems to occur after I have been out to car to sit in it and 'play' with the controls, or show somebody around it, without going anywhere. If I leave car for about 20 mins, and come back to it the fault has gone usually.
If I take it back to the dealers, sods law says it will be OK again.

Has anyone else had (or heard of) similar problems ? Or any idea what the problem could be.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

had that few times in my E92 with the old style i-drive setup but not seen it so far in the new F11. only things i've had is for some reason on two occasions my ipod in the armrest has frozen and needed resetting but i put that down to the aging ipod rather than i-drive s/w.

i think a new version of the F10/F11 software is out mid-march so maybe get the dealer to recode the whole car see if that improves things. if not then could be the media controller (combox) might need replacing. again...in my old E92 i had the CIC "brain" replaced once after having multiple hangs/crashes, seemed to sort it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

Your battery may not be fully charged. When I picked up my 550ix in January, I got a low battery message a few time until I drove it a few times to charge the battery. I lost the IDrive a two or three times in my E60 when the battery drained. There are several items that continue to draw from the battery even when the car is off.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

On my first E60 (2004) this happend in the beginning...was told it was a software issue. An upgrade fixed it.

On the F10 I don't know. The battery theory sounds legit. But the car should warn when being restarted if that was the cause.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
John1111
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Andy,

Just wanted to know if your idrive was fixed?? This same thing happened to me when I picked up my new 535xi this past Wednesday. The idrive went blank when I was driving home from the showroom. It is now in the shop for the last two days and they tell me they are talking to BMW engineers trying to find out how to fix it. Very upsetting to get a new car and have it not work from day 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
tomjscott
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

A few weeks ago, my parking sensors stopped working along with the bluetooth connection to my mobile phone. Contacts on iDrive also lost. Fixed under warranty by local BMW dealership with a re-installation of the software (including most recent update).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM21 View Post
Just picked up my new 520d in Alpine White with Oyster/Black leather, Sports Auto, Professional Nav, Xenons, DAB, Business HIFi etc.
Absolutely love it!

But, within the first full day of having it, the IDrive stoppped working completely - black screen no radio, no parking sensors etc. Took it back to dealer. By time they went out to it - it was OK again.
This has happened 4 or 5 times now and seems to occur after I have been out to car to sit in it and 'play' with the controls, or show somebody around it, without going anywhere. If I leave car for about 20 mins, and come back to it the fault has gone usually.
If I take it back to the dealers, sods law says it will be OK again.

Has anyone else had (or heard of) similar problems ? Or any idea what the problem could be.
A similar situation happened to me within a few days of collecting my F11 last September. After about a minute or so after starting the car the iDrive system would crash but most times it would then reboot and run OK for the rest of that journey. Initially my dealer was unable to diagnose the fault as apparently no faults showed up on their diagnostics system or even when they connected it online to BMW, despite the fact that they could physically see the iDrive shutting down. To be honest I think this is when some dealers rely too much on the diagnostics and when that doesn't solve the problem to assume there is therefore no fault. But finally BMW authorised the replacement of the whole iDrive system and it has been absolutely fine since.

As I understand it the whole display screen has to come out to do this and I was concerned about possible trim damage as experienced by some owners but fortunately there was none at all and the dashboard is still as new.

Obviously you aren't going to enjoy the car at all with this fault so I'd suggest getting the car into your dealer as soon as possible for them to investigate fully and sort it out for you.

Hopefully your dealer/ BMW have more experience of such issues now and a fix for you will be rapidly forthcoming.

Otherwise my car has been perfect!

Last edited by Snapper Chris; 05-02-2011 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
AndyM21
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Auto

John 1111,
Yes, eventually they fixed it by replacing the ZGM (Central Gateway Module) which is somewhere behind the glove box. It now works as it should, although they had to replace the Turbo as well as it was giving Drivetrain error messages. Not very reassuring for a car only 3 weeks old!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
F11PH
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 530d SE

very interesting.

I have just picked up a 530d SE and if you toggle between the radio/CD and external devices the sound eventually cuts out.

The only way I can get it back is by locking the car and returning to it 10 - 15mins later.

Luckily, it happended when I took the car back to the dealer earlier today. Hopefully they can rectify the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
3 series england
Rep
Drives: 325

i drive probems
I have a 3 series, 2 years old and since i have owned it (8 months ago) I have had nothing but problems with it. It has been into two different dealers for i drive issues and repair, nearly 10 times in total. On the first occasion I was told there is nothing wrong with it, I persisted, after several more attempts a software/firmware update was done on the vehicle, this changed nothing. Eventually a new hard drive unit was put in, again this has changed nothing.
Most recently I was accused of lying about the faults or making up the errors as the dealer could not replicate them. It was only when one of the intermittent faults happened I was only 15 mins from the dealer and took it in so they could see it for themselves.
Errors or faults that keep happening are listed below;
- points of interest that are not asked to be shown randomly turn up on the map, when you check to see if they are requested to be shown they are not and are displayed on both maps on the split screen.
- when you start the car for some reason the car decides to mute itself
-restarting the car and you request to resume guidance to a pre set location it will ignore the command
-when you request the car to show a picture of the destination (that it has previously shown) it will not.
- The facility to call BMW to get nav directions sent to the car sometimes does not work.
on the split screen for the map the left hand map is replaced by something else, either a arrow symbol or computer information.
- the left hand split screen map did not show the yardage symbol so you could not zoom in or out on the map.

Has anybody else experienced these intermittent faults errors on the i drive and I would be very interested to know what the outcome was, thank you for taking the time to read this..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
Travel4surf
Private
Rep
Drives: code F10

This happen to me the other day....

If you push-in the radio power button for 30 seconds, it will reboot the iDrive system and you should be back-up and running.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
3 series england
Rep
Drives: 325

Thank you, does this cancel all the pre sets you have made on the system?
Appreciate 0