BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Running In advice

My dealer once told me his demo cars were always quicker (and no less reliable) because they were driven as ///M intended right from the get go.

My question is - do you intend to follow any running in advice or will you just get in and go?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I plan to follow BMW's rec. After all, they built the engine and know best. With my last car I followed the manuf. instructions to the T and the car was always stronger than other cars with similar mods. I also did it for my built motor and it is still running quite well.

I am not sure what BMW wants as far as RPM/mileage, and if they will start it off with dino oil or synthetic, but you want to make sure you give the piston rings time to seat and some of the material to come off the bearings and what not, drain the oil, put the good stuff in, then start letting it rip. I'm sure 500 miles would be sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercup View Post
My dealer once told me his demo cars were always quicker (and no less reliable) because they were driven as ///M intended right from the get go.

My question is - do you intend to follow any running in advice or will you just get in and go?
Who cares about demo's anyway. Everyone steps in and..........way we go!

To get to your point: i'm taking it easy the first 2k untill first service.
Besides who's word are we to take for granted here surely not that of a SA!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I think in reality it matters little with how tight the tolerances are in modern engine manufacturing. Allowing the oil temp to come off bone cold before pushing it at all is wise though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

One thing that will "hurt" your engine in the long run is bore glazing. Make sure that you vary the revs and load within the rev limit set by BMW during run in. Find a few hills in the country, avoid stop start traffic and long freeway runs. Don't change the oil too soon as it is special oil used for the run in process. 5000mls oil change should be okay. You want a bit of a wear rate to bed everything in, esp' rings in bores. Honda brought out a motorcycle called the RC30 years ago which was built to very tight tolerances and one of the biggest problems was non racing owners being too gentle with the engine during run in resulting in glazed bores.
Also good advice from Brandon above. Even race engines, which are run-in during the first few laps, allow for temps to get to operating level before max loading.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

thanks for your feedback guys.

Coming from a Z3MC I know too well the need for correct oil temp, it always amazed me that it took up to 10 miles before 'progress' could be made.
Appreciate 0