BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

How long was your test drive?

I am realizing now that maybe part of my indecision in which model to get is the fact that I have driven less than 5 miles in each! Not that they say, "okay, go back now", but when you are driving in an unknown area and they tell you which way to go and direct you back to the dealership...well, I'm sort of ticked now! How long did you spend test driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
I am realizing now that maybe part of my indecision in which model to get is the fact that I have driven less than 5 miles in each! Not that they say, "okay, go back now", but when you are driving in an unknown area and they tell you which way to go and direct you back to the dealership...well, I'm sort of ticked now! How long did you spend test driving?
I was able to take the car away on my own for an hour, but this was the in the UK.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Mine was about 20 minutes, but I was on lunch and didn't have a ton of time. I get the sense that it could have been longer had I wanted.
      03-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

I was able to take the car on my own for an hour. This was a manual and, although my order has been in for over a month now, I have an auto booked for two hours on Saturday. Will need to retest the manual after that to remind myself what it was like.
This is in the UK by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

In Canada, I was given both cars by myself for an hour (not at the same time though... ). I was able to drive them in areas I was familiar with and make a meaningful comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

The dealer handed the keys over to me and I was able to drive the X3 on my own for as long as I needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting madder and madder! LOL! I think I am also offended my some of the comments they have made...one salesperson said "just get the 28i and get over it!" They have made me feel like I've over-stayed my welcome when I have driven the 28i twice, both times for 10 minutes or less, and the turbo I had to make two trips out to see because the manager was using it as his personal vehicle and when I came in to see it the first time (and they knew I was coming) he had just left in it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
I'm getting madder and madder! LOL! I think I am also offended my some of the comments they have made...one salesperson said "just get the 28i and get over it!" They have made me feel like I've over-stayed my welcome when I have driven the 28i twice, both times for 10 minutes or less, and the turbo I had to make two trips out to see because the manager was using it as his personal vehicle and when I came in to see it the first time (and they knew I was coming) he had just left in it!
Shocking, find another dealer

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Why waste your time with this dealership? Time to go with someone else. And make sure they know why you're taking your business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Go to another dealer (if you can)! Sounds like in the UK and Canada you just take the vehicle for how ever long you want. In the US they don't let you do that (unless maybe the dealer knows you personally), between myself, wife and parents I have probably witnessed a dozen new car purchases over the last 10 years and never seen the dealer NOT go along on the test drive, and usually its just a few miles. I think this is horrible as it can intimidate drivers especially people like my wife who refuses to test drive cars, partly because of this. And when you don't know where you are going and the speed limits and the dealer is in there, you aren't really paying attention to the car as much as you are the sales guy! When I go to buy mine in the fall I am going to see if I can get a dealership to let me take it for an hour, I have insurance, they have insurance, whats the big deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

We drove at least 50 miles in the demo. I took it to varying sections of road. Five miles is not enough to make an informed decision. Have another drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

We test drove for about 20 mins the first time then about half an hour another time. Sales person offered me the car to take home on the weekend but I turned it down. Well i bought my other bimmer from him so he have to treat me nice lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep

Hmmm? Should I admit that I bought my car sight-unseen and with no test drive whatsoever? I had a '08 335i Convertible and although I loved it, my bad back and impending spinal fusion (that I had on Dec 9th) made me realize I'd need a bigger vehicle to make getting in and out easier. It would also allow me to have a good sitting position while driving.

Anyways, my girlfriend pointed out that "once you've had a BMW you can't go back" so I bought in to the hype and ordered my 35i X3 the day they became orderable thru the dealership. Picking it up at the dealership was the first time even seeing one. (I had seen several European versions but never the 2011 U.S. version.)

Needless to say I am loving every second of owning this car and have ZERO regrets. I even told my girlfriend that it's only been 3,000 miles but I can easily say this is my best car ever - and I've never been one interested in the SAV/SUV style...until now
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Have been testing a number of vehicles in recent weeks. Take them all out for an hr (wife and I get 30mins each to drive). Covers winding suburban roads, 80km curves (which get tested a bit faster), and a stretch of exceedingly poor Tarmac including a wier crossing. Taking out a Volvo xc60 d5 this weekend - 2 more weeks till the x3 gets a run!

Should be able to make an informed decision at the end
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Go to another dealer (if you can)! Sounds like in the UK and Canada you just take the vehicle for how ever long you want. In the US they don't let you do that (unless maybe the dealer knows you personally), between myself, wife and parents I have probably witnessed a dozen new car purchases over the last 10 years and never seen the dealer NOT go along on the test drive, and usually its just a few miles. I think this is horrible as it can intimidate drivers especially people like my wife who refuses to test drive cars, partly because of this. And when you don't know where you are going and the speed limits and the dealer is in there, you aren't really paying attention to the car as much as you are the sales guy! When I go to buy mine in the fall I am going to see if I can get a dealership to let me take it for an hour, I have insurance, they have insurance, whats the big deal?
I like to make the sales people sweat a bit if they insist on riding along. I first let them know that I used to drive SCCA Pro Rally events and that I actually had my license suspended for exceeding the allowed amount of speeding tickets in a year. Then I make sure to kick the back end out just a bit when we leave the lot (if it can be done safely of course). By this time, the sales person looks a little pale.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Have been testing a number of vehicles in recent weeks. Take them all out for an hr (wife and I get 30mins each to drive). Covers winding suburban roads, 80km curves (which get tested a bit faster), and a stretch of exceedingly poor Tarmac including a wier crossing. Taking out a Volvo xc60 d5 this weekend - 2 more weeks till the x3 gets a run!

Should be able to make an informed decision at the end
Sounds good, will be interested to hear your thoughts

What else are you testing?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I had both the 28i and the 35i for several different drives, only the first of which was a salesperson along. All drives were a mix of urban and hiway, and I took both to parking lots for parking and backing trials. The dealership was not overly concerned with the mileage being put on these two demos, as they were designated as "new car demos" by BMW. No drive was less than 20 mins, and several more like an hour plus. In fairness, the dealership is not that flexible when it is not a new model being introduced.
      03-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I like to make the sales people sweat a bit if they insist on riding along. I first let them know that I used to drive SCCA Pro Rally events and that I actually had my license suspended for exceeding the allowed amount of speeding tickets in a year. Then I make sure to kick the back end out just a bit when we leave the lot (if it can be done safely of course). By this time, the sales person looks a little pale.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
First time I test drove the 28i and the 35i for a combined time of 40 minutes no dealer in the vehicle. Went back a second time and picked the car up at 6pm. Dealer said "we close at 8, just have it back by then" & off I went. Drove it up and down the highway and over windy back roads and a few bumpy roads too. No dealer in the car again. Drove it for about a hour + and had it back by 7:45

Sounds like you should go somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I already called a different dealership who offered to bring the turbo out to my house for me to drive! Now that's more like it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #21
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I already called a different dealership who offered to bring the turbo out to my house for me to drive! Now that's more like it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #22
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Way to go , and for sure your first dealer will call and email you several times after this to check on your decision, just make sure you tell them, why you choose to go to another dealer, let this be a good lesson to them.

I am new to both the dealers where I test drove x3, at both dealers no dealer in the vehicle, not asked for drivers license or anything and I have given the keys to try it for a hour. With the first dealer I tried 28i for roughly around 45mins and 35i for around 30mins, second dealer(current one) 28i for 30 mins and 35i for little more than a hour, since I have to make my decision. Later when I went to check on the premium sound system with my second dealer he gave me the keys again and told to try as long as I want, checked the sound system and drove around for 30 mins or so. No questions asked whatsoever.
Appreciate 0