2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tire/Wheel insurance cost experience/opinions

04-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
tmjb
Rep
Drives: 535Xi

Tire/Wheel insurance cost experience/opinions

I am considering buying tire/wheel insurance for my 2011 535Xi given all the concern about RFT's and that I live in NYC.

I am being offered BMW insurance by the dealer for $1997 for the balance of my lease which will be about 34 months by the time I take redelivery (ED car).

How does this sound?

Any experience/opinons would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
My personal solution, I would pass on the insurance. I would swap out the RFT's for some decent A/S michelins or Conti's, then put the RFT's back on when I return the car. In 34 months, the odds that the treadlife will be at an acceptable level for lease return is about zero. So you're gonna have to buy new tires anyway to give back. And you don't have the option of putting on any tires you want, you have to have RFT's on the car which right now means a minimum of $1600, if you do it yourself, closer to 2g if you have BMW do it.
+: If you put on some regular A/S tires and keep a can of tire sealant in the trunk, you're spending $500-$1000 less, the ride quality will be better, you're less susceptible to tire damage, and you have back ups in case you do have to replace any of them.
-: May not have space in garage, or live in an apartment. More upfront cost, pay me now or pay me later.
      04-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Personally I recommend it. I've had 4 tires replaced and 3 wheels fixed from potholes. Keep in mind this can be negotiated just like anything else the dealership sells. Their cost when I bought it was $99 and they were selling it for $599 at the time. So there is a HUGE markup on it. Also call another dealer and ask the finance dept if they would sell it to you for less.
      04-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
tmjb
Rep
Drives: 535Xi

Thanks for your opinons
Appreciate 0