E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about CPO warranty and dealer experience

04-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Question about CPO warranty and dealer experience

I brought my car in for some warranty issues.

The dealer I took it to charges a diagnostic fee for anything that is looked at, but doesn't need service. Things that need fixing are charged $50, as per CPO guidelines (and only one $50 charge per visit).

For example, I had suspected I had a coolant leak, and they did a pressure test. They found no leak, and charged me for the labor.

With all the cars I've had in the past, I have not paid for them to look at warranty items. With my VW, only one dealer in the state charged for diagnostics under warranty, so I avoided them.

Is this the same at all dealerships, or just some? If it's not the norm, I guess I should be finding another dealership for warranty work.

On the plus side, my not-so-smoothly shifting transmission was completely replaced for the $50 deductible.

However, if I have things that I want to get checked out in the future, I sure don't want to spend $139/hour to find out if anything's going to be fixed under warranty.
      04-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Silver

good question as i'm going in for service soon and wanted to hand them a laundry list of things to look at... in for a knowledgeable response
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
kurtural
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 X3, 2006 525i

CPO is not carte blanche for them to do diagnostics on any suspected failures for the BMWs. Unless you are throwing codes on the dash or IDrive your intuition means nothing to the underwriters. Face it, these cars are as common if not even more so than Nissans. They are not exotic vehicles so service departments have to stem the tide for everyone one of that thinks 'I had to 3 oz. windshield washer fluid, they need to check the car or I am suing them'.

If it is CPO warranty related work and covered under the agreement you are charged $50. If it is a 'laundry list' of things you want them to check, get ready to pay through the nose.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtural View Post
If it is CPO warranty related work and covered under the agreement you are charged $50. If it is a 'laundry list' of things you want them to check, get ready to pay through the nose.
Again, with all warranties I've had in the past, from Volkswagen to Porsche, from Chevrolet to Lotus, I was NEVER charged a diagnostic fee to check out a suspected problem on a car, even if the dealer determined it wasn't a problem or wasn't covered under warranty.
      04-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Again, with all warranties I've had in the past, from Volkswagen to Porsche, from Chevrolet to Lotus, I was NEVER charged a diagnostic fee to check out a suspected problem on a car, even if the dealer determined it wasn't a problem or wasn't covered under warranty.
With your past experiences, were these cars still under the *original* warranty? I suspect there is a difference between the original manufacturer's warranty (e.g., BMW's first 4 years) and any "carry-on" warranty like the CPO.

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

It really comes down to your relationship with your SA and the dealership.

Technically speaking, the dealership does not get reimbursed for diagnostic work outside of the new car warranty. My experience with CPO is that once it goes into effect, you only bring it in when there's a blatant issue. Items that make a bit of noise, or issues that are difficult to recreate poses a risk of "no problem found". At that point, it is up to the dealership to determine if they charge an diagnostic, or they eat the cost.

Best way to avoid potential issues is if you have multiple problems, with some of them that will require warranty work. The dealership may be more inclined to overlook the diagnostic fee for additional checks if the car is already on the hoist / apart.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

^Agreed. 90% is dependent on the Dealership. If your car is CPO and past the 50k warranty, you should make the effort to get a good understanding of your vehicle and whats wrong with it before you make appointments with the dealer so there are no surprises.

Also - some good advice would be to somehow become familiar with the technician that works on your car. I personally know a tech at the stealership by my house and I make SURE that he is the only one that works on my bimmer. This way I'm bypassing the idiot middleman SA and talking directly to the tech.

Last time I took my car in for an oil leak and it was covered by CPO and I didnt even have to pay the $50 fee!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i Sedan

"On the plus side, my not-so-smoothly shifting transmission was completely replaced for the $50 deductible. "

How is the new transmission?
Appreciate 0