E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front valence

09-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Front valence

I have discovered that the front valence (under the front bumper) is lower on the E90 than even on the E36 M3! The darn thing will not even clear a standard parking lot bump stop. My first thought was to buy and install the accessory carbon fiber lip but I also discovered that it is a two piece design which doesn't protect the center of the vaalence. This is just one more reason to criticise the Bangle-led design team.

Another is that BMW NA hasn't seen fit to offer a body side molding. These cars will likely look pretty ratty in a few years. One of the things that has kept me loyal to BMW for over 30 years is that "styling" has been secondary to handling and I am disappointed with the current direction of the company.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

You can have the car raised if you think it is too low.
You can install body side molding if you don't want dings (though it is ugly and will probably cost just as much as it would to have the dings removed, should you get any)

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
I have discovered that the front valence (under the front bumper) is lower on the E90 than even on the E36 M3! The darn thing will not even clear a standard parking lot bump stop. This is just one more reason to criticise the Bangle-led design team.
one of the best visual features of the car. i can clear speed humps, no problem and i have sports suspension.

yes, iam mindful of mall car parks so i park shy of and raised walking paths etc. does not annoy me.

btw, chris bangle did not lead the design of the 3 series.

iam sorry you are unhappy with bmw's
direction. if we can help you in any way to change your mind or make yo aware of features and functions you may be unsure of, just post your questions and thoughts.

its good to read your thoughts. makes for an interesting thread a long as we can contain our answers to being kind, even when we totally disagree. remember not everyone shares our passion for the e90.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
the Bangle-led design team.

He had nothing to do with the E90

Van Hooydonk is currently chief designer

Joji Nagashima designed the exterior ( he also did the E36, Z3 and E39 )
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I had a '93 Camaro Z28 that was much lower in the front than the E90. Many cars are at least AS low. You just have to watch where and how you park, and take speed bumps slowly (which if I'm not mistaken is the point for them in the first place). I personally love the look of the car, especially the front - it's what made me interested in it. Just curious though, if you're that disappointed in the new design, why do you have one?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

David wrote in part, "...iam sorry you are unhappy with bmw's
direction. if we can help you in any way to change your mind or make yo aware of features and functions you may be unsure of, just post your questions and thoughts.

its good to read your thoughts. makes for an interesting thread a long as we can contain our answers to being kind, even when we totally disagree. remember not everyone shares our passion for the e90."
Thanks for your note regarding the front valence. I have owned and driven BMWs for more than 30 years (Beemers and Bimmers) as well as a long time member of the BMW RA and the BMW CCA. As such, I feel entitled to comment on what I perceive to be the direction of the company that I have supported and defended for so long.
One of the major reasons for BMWs success in the U S market has been that it has, (arguably until recently) listened to club members with respect to issues of interest to them and has acted on the club's advice and admonishments.
As regards Mr. Bangle's involvement with the E90. I believe that he is the overall Director of styling for BMW AG though I don't recall his official title at the moment. Be that as it may, it is apparent that the stylists were reined in on the E90 as it is the bread and butter car in the line-up. My post was intended to highlight a couple minor points that BMW might wish to addresss.
Appreciate 0