BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Orange or black?!? Can\'t make up my mind!!!

All,

Being on 2 different lists, I have the ability to acquire a bsm 1m as early as next month, whereas I originally wanted my 1m in Valencia orange, but I have yet to even get an allocation from that other dealer.

What would the enthusiasts do??? Please convince me that black > orange, because right now they are equally attractive. I'm confused based on pictures and comparisons...both look great!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

If I lived in your climate I would have black for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Those two colors couldn't be more different from each other.
Very personnel choice between BSM and VO.

I prefer BSM.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

I think black looks really nice when clean but I think with the accent stitching on the seats, doors, dash, etc it would look better in VO.
      04-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
love them both but in the end i think black is the best color on any car
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

This is sounding good...keep it coming, I'm almost convinced...just thinking that it will get here in 2 weeks (regardless of when the release is) is making me wanna get the black one. I've had black cars before, loved them, but difficult to keep clean. Anyone knows if the metallic flakes make it any better when the car gets dirty? My previous black cars did not have metallic paints.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Have you looked at the annual Dupont Paint Car survey of what % of cars are what color? Take a look, you will see thay year after year Black, Silver and White being in the top 3 (more or less in that order). In fact, those 3 colors account for nearly 60% of the cars on the road...

To me, there is one 'logical' choice, VO all the way! Show your individuality, show what this car was made to be, it's one of a kind truly unique color. Heck, you are in FL, what better place to drive a car of such vivid colors!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Get it in Valencia and vinyl it gloss black to preserve the color. Plus, you get the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Darn it...I was almost convinced on black until you posted lol

Here is the reality: ideally orange would be my first choice. Now being #3 at the dealer where I could get an orange car, I may never get to see the car considering how crazy the allocation process has been. At this point, I'm almost seeing it as: either black, or maybe no 1m at all. Ya follow?!? So i don't want to end up empty handed at the end or waiting too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Have you looked at the annual Dupont Paint Car survey of what % of cars are what color? Take a look, you will see thay year after year Black, Silver and White being in the top 3 (more or less in that order). In fact, those 3 colors account for nearly 60% of the cars on the road...

To me, there is one 'logical' choice, VO all the way! Show your individuality, show what this car was made to be, it's one of a kind truly unique color. Heck, you are in FL, what better place to drive a car of such vivid colors!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

I originally ordered White but then I switched to VO as it is the only signature color for the 1m. In some photos I love VO and others not crazy about it. I think Black is a great color for the Car and I would have no regrets if I ordered Black. Definitely gives the car an aggressive look.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
I originally ordered White but then I switched to VO as it is the only signature color for the 1m. In some photos I love VO and others not crazy about it. I think Black is a great color for the Car and I would have no regrets if I ordered Black. Definitely gives the car an aggressive look.
Agreed, I have just changed my order from AW to BSM. I think black will be quite low volume compared to the other 2 colours with white becoming the most popular ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Darn it...I was almost convinced on black until you posted lol

Here is the reality: ideally orange would be my first choice. Now being #3 at the dealer where I could get an orange car, I may never get to see the car considering how crazy the allocation process has been. At this point, I'm almost seeing it as: either black, or maybe no 1m at all. Ya follow?!? So i don't want to end up empty handed at the end or waiting too long.
I hope you were talking to me

I think thats an aspect for your own consideration, based on the process instilled by your dealership. This all depends on your patience and potentially their willingness to accommodate you.

I have a unique colored e90, which I recently vinyled black in order to preserve the color underneath. The black looks classy and subtle, but so does the original color which I would choose over any black vehicle, any day of the week.

In the end though, it all comes down to your circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

One thing about black.. That from distance you can't see on black car exclusive grills air scoops and other things it's just like black spot. Legendary oem car color would be better choice. Though nobody can tell you...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

To the OP: do you plan to order 2 cars? Are you still taking up 2 wait list spots? I wonder how many people have their names on multiple lists...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Black is an all-time classic. When clean, no other car looks better. If you want to turn heads, wash your black 1M and hit the road. There will always be a percentage of folks that think an orange car is goofy-looking, especially if it's not on a $300K Lambo.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

All valid points. I did notice the popularity that VO and AW are gaining...which almost leads me to believe that once production stops, black will actually be the rare color of the 1m. That kind of uniqueness could be good down the road if I ever decide to sell, because there is always a market for black cars regardless of make/model. In the end though, I'm not buying simply based on resale value, I want to enjoy this beast and have a smile on my face every time I look at it.

Black also has the ability of portraying luxury/classiness AND aggressiveness/sportiness all at once. Windows down and press the M button and you have a track machine; wash the car, put the windows up and you have a classy machine to roll up to dinner with
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I make a decision today as to which list to stay on. I'm still on both, however one doesn't even have an allocation number for me (and I just went from #4 to #3 so I'm not really hurting anyone), the other already has the car for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
To the OP: do you plan to order 2 cars? Are you still taking up 2 wait list spots? I wonder how many people have their names on multiple lists...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
All,

Being on 2 different lists, I have the ability to acquire a bsm 1m as early as next month, whereas I originally wanted my 1m in Valencia orange, but I have yet to even get an allocation from that other dealer.

What would the enthusiasts do??? Please convince me that black > orange, because right now they are equally attractive. I'm confused based on pictures and comparisons...both look great!

Thanks!
Why do you have to get BSM at this particular dealer? Are they not even giving you the choice as to what color you want or how you want the car spec'd. If this is the case, then I am truly appalled at this particular dealers' antics. What a lousy dealer. You would be the one taking ownership of the car therefore you should be the one who decides what color it will be. Unless you are absolutely certain that you want BSM, then I would contact the dealer where you are #3 on the list and ask them to give you a definite answer as to whether or not they will receive a third allocation. If they will, then you should wait and get exactly what you want or you may come to regret your decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Black is an all-time classic. When clean, no other car looks better. If you want to turn heads, wash your black 1M and hit the road. There will always be a percentage of folks that think an orange car is goofy-looking, especially if it's not on a $300K Lambo.
There will also always be a percentage of folks who simply find black cars as boring. In regards to this whole color issue I have never understood why people seek other's opinions as to what color they should get. People should get what color they themselves like the most.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to ask the magic question apparently someone backed out of the bsm deal and the car, as I said, will be here end of April (already built). Luckily it already has the packages I wanted, so I put a deposit down on it. Since I happen to like orange and black equally, I'm caught in this dilemma...if I liked either color better I would have made a decision already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps1m View Post
Quote:
All,

Thanks!
Why do you have to get BSM at this particular dealer? Are they not even giving you the choice as to what color you want or how you want the car spec'd. If this is the case, then I am truly appalled at this particular dealers' antics. What a lousy dealer. You would be the one taking ownership of the car therefore you should be the one who decides what color it will be. Unless you are absolutely certain that you want BSM, then I would contact the dealer where you are #3 on the list and ask them to give you a definite answer as to whether or not they will receive a third allocation. If they will, then you should wait and get exactly what you want or you may come to regret your decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
code911
JAFO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Garage List
If I was ordering it would be the VO.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #22
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

While comparing the pictures of the comparison thread, I noticed that the quality of the black car's pics is terrible. So I was wondering, could the bad quality and bad light angle be hiding the details? Or will the front bumper details disappear in reality? I'm not sure about all the details disappearing as I look at the car from the top down, but then again, do these pics do the black car justice?

I wouldnt want all those front bumper details hidden...
Appreciate 0