04-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Bye Bye 1M

Hi there!

After BMW pulled my car out of production planning because BMW doesn't want people from Switzerland to order their cars in Germany, I today cancelled my existing contract for my 1M with my dealer.

I'm currently looking for a used 2010 Cayman S and since I drove a car on Monday, I don't want anything else anymore. I have to say, especially that Porsche sound is so wonderful, never had such a grin on my face.

But I wish you guys many hours of fun with your 1Ms! I surely would have enjoyed my 1M, but now (if everything turns out well), I'm even glad that interruption took place (although I'll have to spend more money).

So, drive safely but not too slow and see you on the road!
Thanks for the short but nice time here!
      04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

"BMW doesn't want people from Switzerland to order their cars in Germany" ????

Sounds to me like more than just BMW trying to be prejudice agasint you. Sounds more like perhaps government laws to protect tariffs and duties?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Stung by a Cayman S? Too bad... I was looking forward to your 1M photos.

Good luck on your search and enjoy the ride!
      04-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks!
I hope I can offer some Cayman pictures instead *g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Sounds more like perhaps government laws to protect tariffs and duties?
In fact, that protection of the markets as you say is against existing EU-laws. Because of that, the BMW Group is already under investigation since end of 2010 from Swiss authorities. That thing could cost BMW quite some money, but they won't care for now.

It will take until end of year for the results of that investigation, but I won't wait.
      04-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

And 20 years from now we will all look back at this as being the beginning of the war between Germany and Switzerland.
      04-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Good luck! I'm sure you'll love the Cayman. Would certainly have been my choice if 2 seats were an option!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
And 20 years from now we will all look back at this as being the beginning of the war between Germany and Switzerland.
      04-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
Hi there!

After BMW pulled my car out of production planning because BMW doesn't want people from Switzerland to order their cars in Germany, I today cancelled my existing contract for my 1M with my dealer.
Ooh noo !!
Why God oh why ?

PS: what bullshit is that ? In Europe, there is free transport over borders of both people and goods. (Schengen agreement)
Maybe Switzerland is not participating in it ? And why not order 1M in Switzerland ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

What motivated you to buy in GE rather than CH?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Ooh noo !!
Why God oh why ?

PS: what bullshit is that ? In Europe, there is free transport over borders of both people and goods. (Schengen agreement)
Maybe Switzerland is not participating in it ? And why not order 1M in Switzerland ?
Because he had a good deal going on in Germany (discount and starting price

is already lower overthere) plus he did mentionned buying Euro's well before

ordering the car and speculated on some profits this way to.

Still it's a shame to let such an enthousiastic guy left empty handed
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Switzerland is not participating Schengen in terms of goods, but that only means that you have to pay VAT. It must not affect the ability to order and buy your stuff where you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
What motivated you to buy in GE rather than CH?
We got an early and very good offer in January and BMW Switzerland was way behind in terms of prices and information about availability. Additionally the Euro was very low. So I bought the money for the car, we decided to go for the import/export process and finally ordered in Germany.

edit: Haha, your location made me laugh
      04-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Sorry to hear BMW is wasting time in this way. I'd rather have them preparing and distributing decent allocation info.

But hey, if you're happy/happier with the alternative, that's what it's all about!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Hi there!

I'm currently looking for a used 2010 Cayman S and since I drove a car on Monday, I don't want anything else anymore. I have to say, especially that Porsche sound is so wonderful, never had such a grin on my face.

But I wish you guys many hours of fun with your 1Ms! I surely would have enjoyed my 1M, but now (if everything turns out well), I'm even glad that interruption took place (although I'll have to spend more money).

So, drive safely but not too slow and see you on the road!
Thanks for the short but nice time here!
My buddy has straight pipes on his Cayman S...the sound is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Sorry to hear, sky! I am sure you will be happy with the Cayman S. Man, if the Cayman R would have been priced a tad cheaper, that would probably have been under serious consideration, but you add a sprinkle of options and in a typical Porsche way you are in 6-digit territory.

Sorry to hear of all this hassle. In principle I agree with you and am on your side. Let me ask you this, would it have held true if you bought say an M3? I am thinking that some of the rationale behind BMW killing your order is that all countries seem to have a quota, more or less. Imagine everyone fleeing to Germany for a 1///M, it can easily be exhausted on 'foreigners' and they are trying to protect their home buyers. Just my 2 cents.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

Cayman S is an awesome car. I have a Boxster and a 135. The only thing about the Cayman is the interior is so spartan and everything that is standard in basic cars is an option in the Cayman. The 135 isn't much more plush but definitely has a more up to date interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

You're right, with Porsche it all depends on the configuration. Take the leather interior in a Cayman and you'll face one of the nicest interiors available in this class (my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Sorry to hear, sky! I am sure you will be happy with the Cayman S. Man, if the Cayman R would have been priced a tad cheaper, that would probably have been under serious consideration, but you add a sprinkle of options and in a typical Porsche way you are in 6-digit territory.

Sorry to hear of all this hassle. In principle I agree with you and am on your side. Let me ask you this, would it have held true if you bought say an M3? I am thinking that some of the rationale behind BMW killing your order is that all countries seem to have a quota, more or less. Imagine everyone fleeing to Germany for a 1///M, it can easily be exhausted on 'foreigners' and they are trying to protect their home buyers. Just my 2 cents.
Prices for options are insane at Porsche. My biggest problem at the moment is to find a used Cayman S with the options I want for a good price. There are only a very few offers around, horrible!

About the quotas: Your way of thinking is right, but in the end its just about information and professional behaviour. I think this is where it all went wrong and it looks to me that many things went wrong with the 1M regarding this aspect.

My dealer had no official indication that the car faced a limited production and he had no orders not to close contracts with foreigners. Thats the reason he offered the cars in the first place. If BMW would have informed it's dealers properly, my dealer would have said "sorry, can't deliver to Switzerland" and I would have looked somewhere else. In January!

But what happened was that BMW AG accepted the order, planned the car for production and after two months suddenly cancelled the production date. Official comment: None. Thats the worst thing you can do and thats what I'm gonna write BMW and BMW M: Fool someone else, you won't get my money.

I know its only my story and only one sided. But sadly, thats the one and only experience I have with a BMW, would have been my first one.

ps. Happens with other BMWs too, not just the 1M.

pps. In 1998 VW got fined because they forbid their dealers to sell to foreign countries. End of the story: 90 Million Euros fine.

Last edited by skyphab; 04-13-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
My dealer had no official indication that the car faced a limited production and he had no orders not to close contracts with foreigners. Thats the reason he offered the cars in the first place. If BMW would have informed it's dealers properly, my dealer would have said "sorry, can't deliver to Switzerland" and I would have looked somewhere else. In January!

But what happened was that BMW AG accepted the order, planned the car for production and after two months suddenly cancelled the production date. Official comment: None. Thats the worst thing you can do and thats what I'm gonna write BMW and BMW M: Fool someone else, you won't get my money.
Exactly, and that was 9 weeks after they confirmed your order and the contract (which they've signed, too)! It's unbelievable what BMW is doing with their customers!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Sorry to hear you took a final decision on the 1M. However, im sure you would be enjoying the Cayman just as much

Hopefully if I made it to Schweiz this summer I would be able to see your beast

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #19
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

I think Cayman S should worth the premium over a 1M,although it is not as unique as the 1M. Make sure you get one with Design Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

It looks like it will be a Cayman R in white. Delivery date June, I'm lucky my dealer has a spot open. Negotiations done, about 9% discount.

So, let's see if it all works out this time and if some ED-guys are in the area in July, it'll be fun to take a trip to the black forest!
      04-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

I made the same decision but because I'm not waiting until December for the 1M. regardless of how great it might be I consider it a blessing in disguise and couldn't be happier.

the two are close in performance but in the head turning department. You win my friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
a Cayman R in white. Negotiations done, about 9% discount.
Well Done, that's a bargain!
Appreciate 0