E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > First Bimmer and Question

04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
weißundblau
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328xi w/ Sport Package

First Bimmer and Question

Hey all, new to the forum and bmw ownership. I just picked up an 07 328xi last week and needless to say, I love it. However I do have one question regarding a warning light that keeps coming on. I will be driving the car and at random times the "!" warning light comes on and it shows a "4x4" with a arrow encircling it and also the "brake" warning light at the same time. The car feels fine and when I asked the dealer about it he said "it was sitting for some time and a sensor must be wet or have gone bad". They sent it to the shop and the mechanic just reset it and said that the battery power is "marginal" and may be setting the sensor off because of power draw. He then said to replace the battery it would be $300-400 plus labor!?!
In your opinion what the heck is going on haha. I love the car but I'd like to see it drive without any issues, and just as a side not it has 49,000+ miles and is still under original warranty. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

Is it a certified car? If so then let them know they'll be replacing it free of charge as the expection is you wouldn't have an issue so soon and the car is given to you in 'like new' condition. You also have a return period, no questions asked.

If you're not dealing with a BMW dealer then you're at the mercy of your repair shop and retailer. The good news there is you probably saved a few thousand on the purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
landau88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Is it a certified car? If so then let them know they'll be replacing it free of charge as the expection is you wouldn't have an issue so soon and the car is given to you in 'like new' condition. You also have a return period, no questions asked.

If you're not dealing with a BMW dealer then you're at the mercy of your repair shop and retailer. The good news there is you probably saved a few thousand on the purchase price.
There's a return period? I bought a CPO in February and two weeks after delivery I asked my sales associate if there was any type of return period and he said there was not unless he or his dealership purposefully gave me bad info/misled me/lied to me about the car. Can anyone verify or shed any more light on this return period?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I believe it's called the cooling off period. Try looking that up for Pennsylvania.
      04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
weißundblau
United_States
Rep

thanks for the responses guys. I went to an indie service shop that specializes in bimmer and benz and they give you a free once over of the vehicle for your first visit. Completely honest with me and just said what the dealership told me. The power on the battery in "marginal" and it will need replacing in the near future. The indie place quoted me $266 out the door for OEM battery, installation, and registering. beat the dealership by almost 200 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiß-und-blau524 View Post
Hey all, new to the forum and bmw ownership. I just picked up an 07 328xi last week and needless to say, I love it. However I do have one question regarding a warning light that keeps coming on. I will be driving the car and at random times the "!" warning light comes on and it shows a "4x4" with a arrow encircling it and also the "brake" warning light at the same time. The car feels fine and when I asked the dealer about it he said "it was sitting for some time and a sensor must be wet or have gone bad". They sent it to the shop and the mechanic just reset it and said that the battery power is "marginal" and may be setting the sensor off because of power draw. He then said to replace the battery it would be $300-400 plus labor!?!
In your opinion what the heck is going on haha. I love the car but I'd like to see it drive without any issues, and just as a side not it has 49,000 miles and is still under original warranty. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I had similar errors on my car and it turned out to be the transfer case motor. Not sure if the battery issue could also cause these errors, but in case a new battery doesn't help, you might start at the transfer case motor.
      04-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
weißundblau
United_States
Rep

wow thanks for the heads up, the car is still under warranty so I will call the dealership tomorrow and ask/bug them about it
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
weißundblau
United_States
Rep

well my worst fears have been realized. I replaced the battery today at an independent bimmer shop and the guy also ran a diagnostic on my car. long story short i have 2 bad "steering" sensors..my turn signals dont automatically shut off after making a turn and also there is a grinding noise coming from the front, driver side tire when going in reverse. Sounds like the servo motor...

I spoke to bmw customer service and told them about my plight and how the dealership just kind of brushed me off when I brought the car in the first time. BMW just said to bring it to the dealership and then contact them with the information. I just love getting the run around..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiß-und-blau524 View Post
well my worst fears have been realized. I replaced the battery today at an independent bimmer shop and the guy also ran a diagnostic on my car. long story short i have 2 bad "steering" sensors..my turn signals dont automatically shut off after making a turn and also there is a grinding noise coming from the front, driver side tire when going in reverse. Sounds like the servo motor...

I spoke to bmw customer service and told them about my plight and how the dealership just kind of brushed me off when I brought the car in the first time. BMW just said to bring it to the dealership and then contact them with the information. I just love getting the run around..
Are you handy with a wrench? You can probably fix that stuff yourself, albeit with a bit of work.
      04-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
weißundblau
United_States
Rep

i'm not exactly the greatest mechanical mind in the world and the car is still under warranty so I scheduled an appt for monday am. As long as they acknowledge that there is a problem, are able to fix it, and can give me a loaner car..i'll be happy. I just want to be able to enjoy my bimmer.. is this too much to ask haha
Appreciate 0