E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB+ n55 - boost oscillation

04-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
JB+ n55 - boost oscillation

installed the JB+ on my '11 n55 e92. The vehicle has a vishnu catless dp, and an axleback remus race exhaust. I have noticed a that my boost seems to oscillate (-more so on a cold engine) as I increase acceleration.

my fuel guage is hijacked through the cantool so I can visibly see it. It's really bothering me.

anyone who has the n55 and the newly released jb+ - please sound off. This was not evident prior to the micro-tune.

thanks,
robert
      04-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
JKim89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i X-Drive

I was looking to buy N55 jb+ then I heard that N55 jb+ has some problems with it so they stopped sales. That's why we dont see jb+ anymore on burger tuning website. Maybe that's the problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
makarov88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N55 335i M-Sport

Shoulda got the V5 imo
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyungy89 View Post
I was looking to buy N55 jb+ then I heard that N55 jb+ has some problems with it so they stopped sales. That's why we dont see jb+ anymore on burger tuning website. Maybe that's the problem?
Terry or Mike - Care to elaborate?
      04-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

From the 'other' site, and I quote:

"Please Note if your car is updated to the latest ISTA 2.40.1 DME/ECU software the N55 JB+ will only give about 1/3 the gains seen with older DME versions. For those with this update or who plan to get the update we suggest the N55 Stage1 tuning instead which is not affected. There is no method to determine which software is loaded to your DME without consulting with your dealer..."

It continues with "...The N55 JB+ can be upgraded to the N55 Stage1 tuning within six months of purchase by paying the price difference between the two."

Not sure if you've had your car updated recently, but this might explain why your having issues... I'm no expert though... I have the JB3 Stg 1 so I'm not having any issues...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army335xi View Post
From the 'other' site, and I quote:

"Please Note if your car is updated to the latest ISTA 2.40.1 DME/ECU software the N55 JB+ will only give about 1/3 the gains seen with older DME versions. For those with this update or who plan to get the update we suggest the N55 Stage1 tuning instead which is not affected. There is no method to determine which software is loaded to your DME without consulting with your dealer..."

It continues with "...The N55 JB+ can be upgraded to the N55 Stage1 tuning within six months of purchase by paying the price difference between the two."

Not sure if you've had your car updated recently, but this might explain why your having issues... I'm no expert though... I have the JB3 Stg 1 so I'm not having any issues...
thx Army335xi - no. no updates here.
      04-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyungy89 View Post
The first BETA batch was 100 units and they removed it from the site once that batch sold out. The N55 JB+ is a great product but the latest BMW update does seem to reduce its potential. So that may effect whether or not there is a second BETA batch. On the plus side the JB Stage1 works much better with the new DME update and anyone who got the JB+ can just pay the $100 extra to upgrade when they want.

Regarding boost oscillation nothing like that has been reported in testing.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Mike. Wouldn't mine be considered testing since I was in the first BETA batch? I've had mine in now for about 3 weeks and the fluctuation it is undeniable as no hesitation was experienced prior to this micro-tune. Not bad-mouthing the product at all, perhaps I may have found something here that others may not have seen yet.

Had I not hijacked the fuel gauge I wouldn't have known, most people who bought the JB+ for n55 may not even be using a CAN Tool, let alone hijack their gauge. The first batch was only 25 users and out of those 25... and the 3 week test period, I may be the only one so far who has found this to be an issue. Just using logic.

I am going to remove the JB+ and see if the condition changes. I shouldn't have to do that though.
      04-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Robert, perhaps you can describe the boost variation in more detail? If it seems to be tapering off, that's because the turbo runs out of steam in the higher RPMs.. just guessing.
      04-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
Thanks Mike. Wouldn't mine be considered testing since I was in the first BETA batch? I've had mine in now for about 3 weeks and the fluctuation it is undeniable as no hesitation was experienced prior to this micro-tune. Not bad-mouthing the product at all, perhaps I may have found something here that others may not have seen yet.

Had I not hijacked the fuel gauge I wouldn't have known, most people who bought the JB+ for n55 may not even be using a CAN Tool, let alone hijack their gauge. The first batch was only 25 users and out of those 25... and the 3 week test period, I may be the only one so far who has found this to be an issue. Just using logic.

I am going to remove the JB+ and see if the condition changes. I shouldn't have to do that though.

If you're having a BETA issue just email BMS and they can help you troubleshoot and determine if you have an actual issue and then how to solve it. You are not going to get much help on a public forum.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
If you're having a BETA issue just email BMS and they can help you troubleshoot and determine if you have an actual issue and then how to solve it. You are not going to get much help on a public forum.

Mike
I realize that Mike -not trying to muddy the water, it's just not my style. These forums are priceless for info just like this. I am merely trying to determine if others who have the JB+ on the n55 may be experiencing the same issue. That's all. I have a helmet cam I use for climbing, I'll slap that on and post some vids. This is just a new condition observed on a very stable vehicle as all mods have been implemented in stages to verify operational integrity.
      04-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
installed the JB+ on my '11 n55 e92. The vehicle has a vishnu catless dp, and an axleback remus race exhaust. I have noticed a that my boost seems to oscillate (-more so on a cold engine) as I increase acceleration.

my fuel guage is hijacked through the cantool so I can visibly see it. It's really bothering me.

anyone who has the n55 and the newly released jb+ - please sound off. This was not evident prior to the micro-tune.

thanks,
robert
With DP's and exhaust you might want to go with the N55 JB3 stage 1. This JB+ seems more for people who lightly mod and would like quick removal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
rborgia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
madmanhiker,

could you describe what you are experiencing in more detail? Forgive my ignorance, as I am just begining my modifications on my 11 - 335i E90. I too purchased the JB+ and received it just about one week ago. This is my only modification at this time.

While I notice a definate improvement in power... I also seem to be experiencing a considerable delay when I begin to accelerate from a stop. While stock the car doesn't necessarily get up and go instantaniously, I seem to feel it more with the JB+, which just may be the fact that I am immediately getting that increased power over stock and it just feels different.

Thanks!

Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
since I have a cat-less dp and an axle-back, I am not certain I "feel" anything with this little tune. I may be just me... I can only physically see my boost needle (fuel gauge hijack) "wiggle" and oscillate back and forth as I accelerate, and it is NOT every time. I tried to get video yesterday but it didn't come out right. All I can say, is that when the boost fluctuates it makes the vehicle hesitate as I ramp up RPM to WOT. I can say with 100% certainty that this was not apparent prior to implementing this tune. Acceleration, prior to this tune, was even and predictable, now it is not reliably smooth and dependable EVERY time. I say that because the boost oscillation does not appear to be evident every time, which to me, indicates a software conflict based on variables I am not able to identify. I see the wiggle even in normal city / neighborhood driving.

Also, I definitely noticed a considerable delay (as you put it) from a dead stop. Tested all modes: Normal/Limited DTC, and DTC disengaged. Maybe we are explaining the same thing - just using different words because I have the fuel gauge as my meter. I can see it, whereas you are forced to 'feel' it. Maybe others will pay more attention to this as their vehicles adapt to this new tune.

I will say that Mike has been exceptionally helpful in his knowledge as was Terry with his help working with the CANtool. This is not a slam thread whatsoever, I am merely sharing my experience in the hopes that it is working as designed or, that I may have found a legitimate issue. It is a BETA test after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborgia View Post
madmanhiker,

could you describe what you are experiencing in more detail? Forgive my ignorance, as I am just begining my modifications on my 11 - 335i E90. I too purchased the JB+ and received it just about one week ago. This is my only modification at this time.

While I notice a definate improvement in power... I also seem to be experiencing a considerable delay when I begin to accelerate from a stop. While stock the car doesn't necessarily get up and go instantaniously, I seem to feel it more with the JB+, which just may be the fact that I am immediately getting that increased power over stock and it just feels different.

Thanks!

Rich
      04-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
rborgia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thanks for the reply... I will just clarify I am not bashing either... just trying to understand what is being "felt". If I am driving at 20-30 mph (2K-4K rpm), and floor it, the car doesn't hesitate at all...

I have a steptronics tranny... it kind of goes like this:

-from a Stop
-100% acceleration (car starts rolling)
-pause (car seems to hesitate, almost like a tranny slip. nose dips)
-acceleration, something catches and the car goes like hell...

I will try and get a video of my cluster and maybe the tach will show something. I do have the CAN Tool and will try settng up the fue Hijack as well... I see its option 2 on the menu, im just not exactly sure how to get to the option selection...

(do I connect the can tool and click the button once to enable it, and then click the button until it reaches 20mph and leave it there?, and does the CAN Tool need to remain connected?)

(From CAN Tool PDF)
To enable gauge hijacking make the following selections:

0: Disable all dash hijacking
2: Boost on the fuel gauge, displayed as empty=0psi, half = 10psi, and full=20psi.
3: Timing on fuel gauge, displayed as empty=0 degrees, half=10 degrees, and full=20 degrees.
4: IAT on oil gauge, displayed as min = 60 degreesF, middle=120 degreesF, max=180 degreesF.
5: Boost on fuel AND IAT on oil
6: Boost on fuel AND timing on oil
7: Timing on fuel AND IAT on oil

Thanks!

Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

-from a Stop
that is exactly what happens to me; I have Steptronic as well. My fuel gauge shows this hesitation as a boost malfunction I guess... but this is my issue to a T.
      04-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:

-from a Stop
I have this problem too and my car is stock lol. The pause is around half a second. I thought it was turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
well the folks @BMS clearly stated that the JB+ for the n55 does NOT address the turbo lag. Perhaps this tune exaggerates the 'lag' in a more amplified manner. dunno...
      04-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
well the folks @BMS clearly stated that the JB+ for the n55 does NOT address the turbo lag. Perhaps this tune exaggerates the 'lag' in a more amplified manner. dunno...
Yeah very possible that you feel more turbo lag with JB+ since you have more power when the boost kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
knasman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 991 4S

Quote:

thanks,
robert
I see the exact same thing. Car is stock except for the JB+. On a cold car, acceleration is very jerky if you push the pedal down a bit. Mostly between 2K and 3K, where the boost really starts kicking in. It's not nearly as jerky when the engine is warm, but it's still there a bit.

It's most apparent when the dial is higher than the default setting. I had it at ~80% and then it was very apparent. I'm back down to 50% and that seems to work better. But I'm already adapting my driving style to it in a sense. So would be nice to have fixed :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
rborgia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I exchanged emails with Terry regarding this. He suggested lowering the dial to zero, and then testing. If it runs ok at zero, start to slowly increase the dial.

I decided to upgrade to the N55 Stage 1, as I also ordered a buch of other mods... DP, intake, exhaust... so theJB+ was removed last night and is now on the way back to BMS. I just odrered the Stage 1.

I did try the fuel Hijack before removing the JB+ but the boost remained pretty consistant, nothing obvious from watching the gauge.

Good luck with it...

Rich
Appreciate 0