BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Stripped v. Loaded

I've got a stripped VO on order. I like the idea of a stripped car for a couple of reasons: (1) Weight, (2) Simplicity, and (3) I am planning on keeping this car for a very long time and there will be fewer things to break (and fix) later on.

However, I'm torn due to the fact that I plan on keeping and using this car as a daily driver (although not for my commute). I imagine someday kicking myself for not getting the accoutrements. Also, I think the nav console makes the interior look nicer by breaking up the vast expanse of the dash and making the alcantara steering cluster seem less lonely.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I would like to hear other's thoughts. I only plan on tracking the car a few days a year, if that makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

I've ordered a stripper too, only added the iPod dock and by default, the Prof CD head unit to the basic UK spec car.

It's got leather, big wheels, cruise, parking sensors, etc etc as standard, any more expenditure is just a waste as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I dont like Nav bc it will quickly become outdated.

Go look at Nav in a 1999 Mercedes or whatever early year car that had it. Its archaeic and basically unusable. Hell an 05 car with nav would even seem this way.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

I ordered mine with all the options, The last car I bought, I cheaped out on some options and regret it ever since... then again,I do not keep my cars more than 3-4yrs...
      04-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I dont like Nav bc it will quickly become outdated.

Go look at Nav in a 1999 Mercedes or whatever early year car that had it. Its archaeic and basically unusable. Hell an 05 car with nav would even seem this way.
Even an outdated Nav will still get you to an unknown place better than no Nav Assuming you can update it!

I see your point, but in many cars it's not as bad as you think. I have a '06 Accord with Nav, and with the latest disc, the maps are perfect, the interface is still very usable, and it is relatively fast in use. I'd say it is one of the most-used features of my car.

I always like to go fully loaded, or mostly-loaded. You can rarely add OEM features/packages, but you can always regret not getting them initially.

As far as "more stuff to break", I don't think so. Cars are so complex, something else is bound to break and/or be more expensive to fix than if your heated seats go out.

Especially if you use it daily, I can't imagine not wanting all the extra features. How you can not want internet radio??? Comfort access is awesome! Stuff like lumbar is great to have for those longer trips.

I understand some folks are "morally opposed" to the way BMW has bundled many of the options/packages. But, we're only talking a relatively small percentage price of the car. Seems to me, if you can swing $50K, you can do $52K.

Don't forget resale... there are lots of folks out there that really like Convenience Pkg and Nav. Seems like you'd have a lot more opportunities to sell a fully loaded car vs. a stripper.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive wagon

I'm in the same dilemma, I'm going to my dealership today to place my order for a ED delivery (hopefully late July!). I currently have an 08' M3 with everything but heated seats and parking distance control. I enjoy the sound system for sure and I don't mind the iDrive even though it's not as nice as the current one. However, I've only used the navigation a couple times. My HTC Evo's google maps and GPS navigation is faster and more accurate. The main reason I would fully option the car is for resale value. However, in the long run a "stripper" might be worth more? Especially if the production stays low (which looks very likely since BMW is stopping production of this model 1 series in April 2012).

The harder question for me is going to be whether I sell the M3 or the 1M when I get back from my trip from Europe? Maybe I'll just live off ramen noodles and move into my parents basement and keep both?

Last edited by C'sM3; 04-22-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

"I imagine someday kicking myself for not getting the accoutrements. Also, I think the nav console makes the interior look nicer"

I ordered mine with all the options for the same reason you mention, I didn't want to look back and think I should have gotten ..... The thing about the NAV is without it the Sat. radio isn't as nice to use to find stations etc. I have an Audi A8 with Nav. and a 135 without Nav. and both have Sat. radio but the Audi with the screen is far easier to use.

Also the NAV units have come along way since the primitive versions from 1999 MB's or even 2005 models. They won't be nearly as dated or unusable in 5 - 10 years time frame as the technology has vastly improved from the early days. Also by getting the NAV you can get the BMW Apps which seem like they will have some very interesting features.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Mine will be stripped and turned into a race car within 4-5 years so I ordered mine without the buttons, levers, lasers, and ball bearings. That and my phone has a better nav and window mount for the few times I need it.
Everyone has different needs/wants for their car so get what you want.
      04-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post

Also the NAV units have come along way since the primitive versions from 1999 MB's or even 2005 models. They won't be nearly as dated or unusable in 5 - 10 years time frame as the technology has vastly improved from the early days. Also by getting the NAV you can get the BMW Apps which seem like they will have some very interesting features.
To me that statement doesnt make sense. Its easy to look back and see progress/evolution and think you are at the ceiling. In 1999 you couldnt imagine live traffic on a touch screen in your pocket (we didnt even have text messaging), I think next gen nav is going towards accurate landscape (buildings/trees etc). Maybe current systems will upgrade to utilize it or the other features that are unimaginable now.

The point Im trying to make... you can look at how far they have come, but you cant imagine how far they can go with technology (3D holographic nav display?!?). To think todays tech wont be outdated because its vastly improved from yesteryears just doesnt make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

How much weight do you safe by not ordering a navigation? 5kg? What's the point? Put lighter wheels on the car and you'll safe more weight with more effect.

Quote:
The point Im trying to make... you can look at how far they have come, but you cant imagine how far they can go with technology (3D holographic nav display?!?). To think todays tech wont be outdated because its vastly improved from yesteryears just doesnt make sense to me.
But undoubtedly, evolution cycles do get longer. Take a look at the navigation in a 5 year old BMW. Of course the current system is faster and better looking, but it features 95% of the same functions.

At the moment, the fast (r)evolution of the last 10 years flattens noticeable. You get more resolution in screens, computers calculate faster but the main functionality stays the same.

I'm wondering what the next real revolution will be...
      04-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Its not a weight issue for me personally, but if I go with what you say why not delete the nav and get the lighter wheels and save 10kg?

I agree evolution cycles can get longer. We may be at that point, I dont know, but I am hearing of some great things in the pipeline (may or may not apply to Nav, we shall see).

I just cant see wanting a used car and not being turned off by a nav that is outdone by my $100 cell phone in every aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
I'm wondering what the next real revolution will be...
Cars banned from city centres, sat-nav rendered useless?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I just cant see wanting a used car and not being turned off by a nav that is outdone by my $100 cell phone in every aspect.
Except for the much smaller screen, slower lock time for positioning, cluttered look when temporarily affixed to dash, etc.

And yes, I have one of the best Nav apps for iPhone (Garmin), but would rather use the 5-year-old built in dash Nav every time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

You know what. The reason you guys don't buy a nav is right. Its because its outdated very fast. It is not that evolution is as fast or revolutionary but its a clear strategy from car makers like BMW, Audi, VW, etc. to bring on new stuff, to make it more fancy with every generation so that people hate their old electronic gadgets and go out and buy new cars with new ones.

That is really a point here and it also fits to face lifting and new model designs.

Since we're discussing about BMW vs. Porsche in a different thread I really recognize hefty differences in company strategies:
For example: The sat nav in a Porsche is way more simple. It isn't fancy, it is solid, features the function you need, has a touchscreen and that's about it.

It won't get outdated so fast, because it won't look all different in 2 years. That's really a point I do love about Porsche for that. It's the same with exterior design and that's the reason Porsches are so price stable in the end.

Just sharing my thoughts here
      04-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I didn't want to pay $5k for nav so I'm going to hardwire a Garmin.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I am ordering it fully loaded.

One thing to keep in mind about Nav's these days is they are no longer DVD based. Most have a hard drive storage and are software update-able meaning they can be updated with new features as updates become available. Also the new BMW Apps works the same way, since it is app based it can easily be updated with the latest and greatest features both of which help keep the Nav from becoming obsolete.

BMW Apps allows you to build Google Maps destination routes on your computer then send these to your car's Nav for easy commuting. Along with several other features including Google search etc I think this adds future possibilities to the cars Infotainment system.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

"It won't get outdated so fast, because it won't look all different in 2 years. That's really a point I do love about Porsche for that. It's the same with exterior design and that's the reason Porsches are so price stable in the end."

I have a Porsche Boxster 2006 and while the exterior is beautiful and timeless the interior is horrible. Really cheap materials, terrible radio,
cheap lighting and gauges. Low grade leather seats that feel nothing like leather.
Nothing luxury about it unless you spend another 15k on options. That being said it is a fantastic car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
I have a Porsche Boxster 2006 and while the exterior is beautiful and timeless the interior is horrible. Really cheap materials, terrible radio,
cheap lighting and gauges. Low grade leather seats that feel nothing like leather.
Nothing luxury about it unless you spend another 15k on options. That being said it is a fantastic car to drive.
That's right. If you don't spend on the interior, it doesn't look amazing.
But I got to say, that the current plastic interiors are quite good, I even doubted if I should order the additional leather interior option.

In the end I did and even covered some extra stuff in leather. I think it will look rich, but still: At least the standard interior in the Cayman R looks and feels very good.
      04-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
I've got a stripped VO on order. I like the idea of a stripped car for a couple of reasons: (1) Weight, (2) Simplicity, and (3) I am planning on keeping this car for a very long time and there will be fewer things to break (and fix) later on.

However, I'm torn due to the fact that I plan on keeping and using this car as a daily driver (although not for my commute). I imagine someday kicking myself for not getting the accoutrements. Also, I think the nav console makes the interior look nicer by breaking up the vast expanse of the dash and making the alcantara steering cluster seem less lonely.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I would like to hear other's thoughts. I only plan on tracking the car a few days a year, if that makes any difference.
My initial order was just ipod & HK sound, but I later modified it to be fully loaded less the BMW apps. This car is a keeper for me and I regretted not getting more options on my 3er when I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Full option, as it will be daily driver, taking me to work, to customers, to family and friends, to home, and to the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I ordered both packages. I think the Premium Package is overpriced but necessary. Coming from the Evo with no power seats/dimming mirrors got old, especially with no tint and all the SUVs and ricer HIDs out there now. I was going to get the iPod adapter anyway and the BMW Assist and Bluetooth is nice so why not get at least that package.

It took more thought to settle on the Convenience package as well, but the interior looks much nicer with the screen and the iDrive is pretty slick. I had to go check out a 135i M package with it first to be convinced. Messing with the iPod is annoying on a standard radio. You also get the keyless start, park sensors (seems as if all bumpers have this anyway so it might as well beep), and the alarm. It will also help with resale value. Why not splurge a little especially if it is a DD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #22
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
(seems as if all bumpers have this anyway so it might as well beep)
Sorry I might be misunderstanding...

So if I didn't get the premium/convenience package I'll still have the sensors on my bumper but they won't do anything?
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0