BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

Decisions decisions

ok guys needs some opinions. Over the years I have been very fortunate to have owned some very nice cars usually alternating between BMW and Porsche. I currently own an 07 GT3. Its a terrific car in all respects and continues to put smiles on my face. I also have raced for a period of 6 years and have a new race car being built so tracking a car is not top priority. The GT3 is not driven everyday usually once a week. I am wondering if this new 1 M Coupe could still be a car that I get my kicks and still have some exclusiveness/fun factor,etc. I am truly torn as the GT3 has always been the car I have most wanted to own, but now feel like it maybe overkill. The 1 M is definitely a special car in its own right and maybe just what I'm looking for. I have owned a 2000 M Coupe, E46M3, 996 Porsche, and E90 M3 to name a few. E90 was a great car but seriously overweight. As I first mentioned, very fortunate with the great cars I have owned but would hate to purchase 1 M,then regret giving up the GT3. Thoughts......
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I don't think I could give up a GT3 for an 1 M. We had an 07 as well, and yeah, it's a bit rough for everyday driving, but damn was that thing fun to drive. I'd keep the GT3, but that's my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^Yea.. I would not get rid of that GT3 either. Find something to play with as a everyday car... but keep the GT3 for special drives/outings.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
As much as ID like to say "yea dump the gt3 and try the 1M for a change"...I'm gonna have to agree that you should keep it and not swap it for the 1M. Here's a suggestion....get the 1M for everyday use, and extend the gt3's life as a weekend cruiser
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

i'll trade my 1m for your gt3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
ok guys needs some opinions. Over the years I have been very fortunate to have owned some very nice cars usually alternating between BMW and Porsche. I currently own an 07 GT3. Its a terrific car in all respects and continues to put smiles on my face. I also have raced for a period of 6 years and have a new race car being built so tracking a car is not top priority. The GT3 is not driven everyday usually once a week. I am wondering if this new 1 M Coupe could still be a car that I get my kicks and still have some exclusiveness/fun factor,etc. I am truly torn as the GT3 has always been the car I have most wanted to own, but now feel like it maybe overkill. The 1 M is definitely a special car in its own right and maybe just what I'm looking for. I have owned a 2000 M Coupe, E46M3, 996 Porsche, and E90 M3 to name a few. E90 was a great car but seriously overweight. As I first mentioned, very fortunate with the great cars I have owned but would hate to purchase 1 M,then regret giving up the GT3. Thoughts......
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Keep the GT3... Porsches are very special cars. The 1M is special in its own right but, perhaps, you can hang onto the GT3 and wait for a pre-owned 1M to turn up in a couple years (so that you can have both)? Never know....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

You have a track car that's more purpose-built than a GT3, and you want something more practical and comfortable than a GT3 for daily use, but find an E90 M3 too heavy, but you drive the car only once a week, so it's not a daily driver but more of a weekend cruiser, but you want it to perform like a trackable car? Not really clear ?

Jezus, what a luxury problem.

Last edited by hwelvaar; 04-24-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

I know, silly problem.Yes, currently have a new Specmiata being built which, in truth, is truly purpose built. Having raced for several years, its hard to put any street car on the track. The spec miata series really spoils you in terms of competition,driving,etc. The GT3 is just a fun street car which CAN be tracked if need be. I am sort of whats the point??? The 1 M would become my fun car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

No doubt the GT3 is an awesome machine, especially on the track.
If you need a weekend road cruising fun car, a turbo lowend torque like 1M might indeed be a good option.

In any case, if you want a 1M, you better hurry !
Why not put down a deposit, you'll have to wait several months anyway, and then test drive a 1M in the mean time, and decide if it fits your needs.
Appreciate 0