BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Boxercup
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

1M Good, Bad or Ugly? Not from posters with M3/135i or 1M (on order)!

I'm getting a bit bored with all the 'my car is better than your car' stuff.

I absolutely love the rave reviews this car is receiving but would love hear from readers who don't have interest in the 1M succeeding either way.

If you are reading this forum and don't have a M3 or a 135i or a 1M (on order) tell us what YOU think about the 1M to offer some perspective.

Thanks in advance.....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Since this is 1addicts, how many posters on here will not be driving 135i, or 1M soon, or M3 owners who want to read up on the competition ?

Some 128i owners. But they may be biased too ?

The Audi fanboys will not like it, the Cayman fanboys will not like it, the Subaru/Mitsubishe fanboys will not like it.

Because if they do, they have ordered 1M already and are excluded from your target public
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Wrong forum. Try posting this in the general BMW or general automotive forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I guess I can be considered neutral. Dont have an interest in the 1 series one way or another.

Personally I am very welcome to the idea of the 1M. Im a huge BMW fan and an M fan in general (drive a Z4M Coupe) so a new M model is always welcome in by book.

In the looks department - def not crazy about the 1M but then again I dont care for the looks of the 1 series in general so thats no surprise. Although I will say that 1ers look better in person than they do in pics. I will def be headed to a local dealer to check one out in the flesh as soon as they arrive.

Engine - having owned both turbo and high revving M cars I will say for a sports car I prefer the high revving NA motor. The sounds and excitement from an engine revving to 8K rpm's is irreplaceable. However, for "real world" driving the turbo is probably the better choice as it will have tons of power very low in the rev range and get better mileage. As for the engine not being a "true" M engine - doesnt bother me. Im sure the M engineers made the necessary software changes to make the car ultra responsive and fun to drive.

The main other performance pieces like brakes, suspension, wheels, etc are all from the M3 so you know they are top notch. All in all Im sure its a solid car. Aside from whatever disappointment some people may feel about the engine it seems like the rest of the car got the true M makeover.
Appreciate 0