Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
Please select one of the following age categories that best fits you
Thanks torquedemon, an other very interesting poll!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I know 2 16 year olds that are getting the car... your poll stopped short
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Take a poll in a year to find out how many 1M's have been wrecked by young drivers. The last few sports cars I've owned all had many stories of young drivers wrecking them. With the loose nature of the 1M I hope they can keep this to a minimum.
      05-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I know 2 16 year olds that are getting the car... your poll stopped short

really???

wow lol

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I think the age groups should be a little smaller. like 18-23, 24-28, etc. to get a better idea of who will be driving them if thats the goal. Because there is a big difference between 21 and 29 which wouldn't show and little between 29 and 30 which shows as very different on here. Just my $0.02, but good idea on the poll
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
I think the age groups should be a little smaller. like 18-23, 24-28, etc. to get a better idea of who will be driving them if thats the goal. Because there is a big difference between 21 and 29 which wouldn't show and little between 29 and 30 which shows as very different on here. Just my $0.02, but good idea on the poll
I was thinking exactly the same. I am with my 31 much closer to someone of 28 then someone of 39.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Take a poll in a year to find out how many 1M's have been wrecked by young drivers. The last few sports cars I've owned all had many stories of young drivers wrecking them. With the loose nature of the 1M I hope they can keep this to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
My honest opinion is, that the 1M has potential to be tagged "widow maker". And I don't think it'll be young drivers only. The car is a handful to drive, if you actually drive it and don't just roll around. Great fun for a driver that knows what he or she is doing and respects the beast, but seriously dangerous for untalented idiots wanting to impress and that start fiddeling with the buttons to do so. The car is not loose, it just has massive grunt. In fact the cars limit is very high and that's what makes it a real beast... when it actually starts moving around, then you are going fast.

But then again, that has nothing to do with a 1M... we just had big discussions in all sorts of web forums in Germany over a 20-year-old, that wrecked his dads 650PS Gumpert Apollo (he and his passenger luckily walked away):

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/g...ash-2011-04-14

He surely didn't respect the sheer power and speed of the car he was driving.
      05-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Thanks to all those who participated in this poll....Upon your requests, I have made a new poll with more specific age categories....pleaseee vote...thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car is not loose, it just has massive grunt. In fact the cars limit is very high and that's what makes it a real beast... when it actually starts moving around, then you are going fast.
When I say "loose" I'm going off the reviews I've read. It sounds like a bit of a hooligan and that's what I like. A short wheel base, lots of HP/Torque, stiff suspension, as well as the tire sizes all add up to a car that is more prone to oversteer than understeer at a very high limit. To me this is a combination for experienced drivers when at or near the limit. By using 245f and 265r tires they gave the car a ton of front end grip while the diff and 265's in the rear are going to allow the rear end to rotate easily. All these things I personally like since I've been racing for several years and spend a lot of time near the limit, on track. If you put those characteristics in the hands of a younger driver that hasn't experienced the rear of a car rotating it can be very dangerous on the street. Of course, the electronic aids are there to help but they certainly aren't full proof.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a debate between all the different demographics and different driving skills but when I hear that 16-19 year olds are getting a 1M I can't help but hope they take some performance driving classes before they go out and push their car to show their friends how great it performs.
      05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I say "loose" I'm going off the reviews I've read. It sounds like a bit of a hooligan and that's what I like. A short wheel base, lots of HP/Torque, stiff suspension, as well as the tire sizes all add up to a car that is more prone to oversteer than understeer at a very high limit. To me this is a combination for experienced drivers when at or near the limit. By using 245f and 265r tires they gave the car a ton of front end grip while the diff and 265's in the rear are going to allow the rear end to rotate easily. All these things I personally like since I've been racing for several years and spend a lot of time near the limit, on track. If you put those characteristics in the hands of a younger driver that hasn't experienced the rear of a car rotating it can be very dangerous on the street. Of course, the electronic aids are there to help but they certainly aren't full proof.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a debate between all the different demographics and different driving skills but when I hear that 16-19 year olds are getting a 1M I can't help but hope they take some performance driving classes before they go out and push their car to show their friends how great it performs.
your argument is understood....its a basic fact....age=experience
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

I'm with you Dan. I like hooligan cars!

However, I believe the staggered set-up with wider tires in back will lead lead to more understeer (and less oversteer) since there will be a bit less grip in front relative to the rear.

For that reason, I'm planning to run a square set-up.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
age=experience
I think that's really over simplifying things. A 17 year old could take a skip barber racing school or even a street survival course and learn a ton of great things about how to react and control a car and become a very competent driver at a very young age. Just look at the age of some of the pro drivers out there these days. (I.E. Sebastian Vettel)

I came up auto-xing low horse power fwd cars (VW Gti's) as a teen and worked my way up gradually so from my perspective I see cars as a progression. If I had a 1M at 16, or even 21, I am certain I would not be here today. It's not as though I'm a 70 year old, I'm 39 but looking back at the "I'm going to live forever" attitude most beginning drivers have the 1M doesn't seem an ideal car to learn on. Most cars have a ton of understeer dialed in from the factory and the 1M doesn't.
      05-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that's really over simplifying things. A 17 year old could take a skip barber racing school or even a street survival course and learn a ton of great things about how to react and control a car and become a very competent driver at a very young age. Just look at the age of some of the pro drivers out there these days. (I.E. Sebastian Vettel)

I came up auto-xing low horse power fwd cars (VW Gti's) as a teen and worked my way up gradually so from my perspective I see cars as a progression. If I had a 1M at 16, or even 21, I am certain I would not be here today. It's not as though I'm a 70 year old, I'm 39 but looking back at the "I'm going to live forever" attitude most beginning drivers have the 1M doesn't seem an ideal car to learn on. Most cars have a ton of understeer dialed in from the factory and the 1M doesn't.
You are correct, it was an oversimplified statement....i think even with age, a certain amount of common sense is required to actually learn from your experiences....just the same way as you are stating, it is very possible to have a young driver who has experienced high performance and therefore has a better idea. But at the end of the day, a 16year old receiving the 1M as a first car is a very dangerous situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Good pole. Voted, and results are about what I would have guessed.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Good pole. Voted, and results are about what I would have guessed.
Thanks! This is actually an older poll...here is the link to the newer and more age specific poll...vote if you like

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525408
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
Thanks! This is actually an older poll...here is the link to the newer and more age specific poll...vote if you like

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525408
Ha, sorry. Was catching up on all the reading given I've been away for a few weeks and started with oldest threads first and work my way forward

Will vote in new one!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0