ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Going from R888 to Hooser R6 - Front clearance

I just switched from Toyo R888 to the Hoosier R6 tires for track day use and found that the Hoosiers have a much more square shoulder construction than the R888s.

Sizes:
P245/40ZR -18 Hoosier R6 LL
P275/35ZR -18 Hoosier R6 LL

The problem I'm running into is that the fronts rub significantly against the rear section of the wheel well liner.
The R888's rubs slightly but the Hoosiers are definitely going to cause a problem and the car is not driveable with them mounted.

I'm planning to modify the liner and move it back slightly to allow for more clearance. There is a body seam right behind and perpendicularto the liner that we will have to wrap over to one side to make some room.
The other option is to fabricate a new liner that allows more clearance.

Any thoughts on this?
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Inside or outside liner ? My Nittos are very wide in the rear as well, I've found the inner liner has rubbed through, but it clearanced itself rather quickly. On the outside I'm getting light sideway shaving from the fender lip, a few shaves with the fender roller should correct it I hope. Take a heat gun to the effected areas, get it hot enough and you should be able to massage it in a bit, if that's not enough dremel it free.
      05-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

I'll take some photos this week. The problem is in the front. Rubbing against the back section of the liner, not the fender itself
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Hmmm I'm about to put these same tires/sizes on a set of stock rims. I'm on kwv3's and will have 10mm spacers on the front. I now wonder what problems I'll have!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

We moved the rear section of the front wheel liner back by about 1" which allowed enough clearace.
(In these pictures the 19" RE11s are mounted)

There is a body seam perpendicular to the tire right behind the liner which we had to fold over to make space.

The first two pictures show the left side, modified. The last picture is the right side, unmodified.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Shorter tires would fix the problem. Why don't you go with 245-35s in front and 285-30s in back?

I run 285-30 A6s in the *front* for autocross, and don't get any rubbing. They're on stock wheels which squeeze the hell out of them, but they're still wide. The 245-35s are about the same diameter.

Tirerack will let you return tires if you haven't driven on them. You should be able to exchange them for the other sizes (although you'll be out the shipping cost).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post
Shorter tires would fix the problem. Why don't you go with 245-35s in front and 285-30s in back?

I run 285-30 A6s in the *front* for autocross, and don't get any rubbing. They're on stock wheels which squeeze the hell out of them, but they're still wide. The 245-35s are about the same diameter.

Tirerack will let you return tires if you haven't driven on them. You should be able to exchange them for the other sizes (although you'll be out the shipping cost).
Not a bad idea, I will consider that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

Dang, I was just getting ready to order a set of Hoosiers in the same sizes ( 245/40/18 front) for the Stock Wheels. I will be running stock ride height with about -2.5 front.

Can anyone confirm the Hoosiers do not need a fender liner mod on stock rims and ride height?. I don't have time to mess with the fender liner mod right now.

BTW - I tried to figure out the diff you had between the R888 and the Hoosiers. It looks like the sect width is larger with the Hoosier at 10.3 vs. 9.8 for the R888. The Hoosier is the oddball in this class tire. The Kuhmos are 10.0 and the Ventus 9.1.

I too like the Hoosiers as they are lighter. A nice savings in rotating mass, and where is counts most.

23lb Front vs. 26lb for the Nitto's ...Hoosier (-3lb)
24lb rear vs 27lb for the Nittto's. ...Hoosier (-4lb)

BTW the stock Contis weight in at 23F/27R

Or

Am I better off with a set of NT 01's on the stock wheels. More versatile as well I suppose.

245/40/18 Front ( not many other choices )

25.55 tall.. vs. stock at 25.97 tall
Width is 9.72 Sect width vs. 8.92 stock.

275/35/18 Rear ( same height as front )
25.55 tall vs. 26.00 tall stock
Sect width is 10.91 vs. 10.92 stock

Or

275/45/18 Rear
These would create a little rake.
26.65 tall vs. 26.0 stock
Section width is about the same as the 35 series at 10.91 (35) vs. 10.94 (45)

Will either rear work fine or will I screw something up with 1.1 inch rake? The 275/45 looks to be good in stock, but it looks like I will have to chase the 275/35.

Kinda want to get this done in the next couple days.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Well... the ride height was not the issue in my case, it was rubbing at the back of the liner when the wheel is turned. Take a look at the photos above

I had some rubbing with the R888s as well but it was not too bad as you can see from the scuff marks. The Hoosiers however rubbed significantly at this spot AS WELL as against the shock strut and I would not have been able to drive the car without modifying the liner and the use of a 10mm spacer

First track day on the Hoosiers is this Thursday. We'll see how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
CobraR1339
Private
Rep

Good luck with the track day. Keep us posted.

Being tenatious should reward you. Looks like you are dropping 3 lbs per front corner and 4 lbs per rear corner. That combo and the added grip should get you addicted to the Hoosiers.

Any insights on the NT01's.. sizes suggested above. I think I am stuck with the3 front size on stock rims, but the rear I am not sure if the taller size would create or solve issue with the 1" rake.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
CobraR1339
Private
Rep

Good luck with the track day. Keep us posted.

Being tenatious should reward you. Looks like you are dropping 3 lbs per front corner and 4 lbs per rear corner. That combo and the added grip should get you addicted to the Hoosiers.

Any insights on the NT01's.. sizes suggested above. I think I am stuck with the3 front size on stock rims, but the rear I am not sure if the taller size would create or solve issue with the 1" rake.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
CobraR1339
Private
Rep

FYI - The Nitto DC's are out of stock all the NT01's . no projected ship dates.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post

I run 285-30 A6s in the *front* for autocross, and don't get any rubbing. They're on stock wheels which squeeze the hell out of them
What? Take Pictures and post please.
      05-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
What? Take Pictures and post please.
I posted some pictures in another thread:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=22