2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Damn...just got bit by the Goodyear bubble

05-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
hilljf
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Xdrive

Damn...just got bit by the Goodyear bubble

I have a 550i Xdrive that has about 3k miles on it. I was thinking somehow I was dooing really good, no issues with my goodyear run flats. Opps, today I noticed a bubble, bitten by the bug. Fortunately, having read a few of these posts I purchased the 5 year tire protection insurance from BMW. Well this will be claim #1 and about 50% of the insurance amortized. I hope I don't go into the mode of positive return on that insurance, but all bets have it, that this may be the best extra dollars ever spent on a car.

Now lets see if they can find a tire for me. When I told the service department the tire model and size she goes "oh, those are hard to come by...let me give you a call".

John
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
service department: Well John I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you're covered free of change for a brand new tire.
John: Sweet, when can I come in?
service department: Well you see sir, um, the tire is back ordered from the factory 4-6 weeks.
John: What? What am I suppose to do in the mean time?
service department: Um, I'm not qualified to answer that question sir.
John: WTF do I have the insurance for then?
service department: I'm sorry sir.
John:
      05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
service department: Well John I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you're covered free of change for a brand new tire.
John: Sweet, when can I come in?
service department: Well you see sir, um, the tire is back ordered from the factory 4-6 weeks.
John: What? What am I suppose to do in the mean time?
service department: Um, I'm not qualified to answer that question sir.
John: WTF do I have the insurance for then?
service department: I'm sorry sir.
John:
This is a great reason why the insurance is not a practical solution and why IMO new F10 owners should factor in the cost of replacing all 4 RFT's with normal tires when purchasing the car. It'll be my first "mod"
      05-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
This is a great reason why the insurance is not a practical solution and why IMO new F10 owners should factor in the cost of replacing all 4 RFT's with normal tires when purchasing the car. It'll be my first "mod"
If you live in SoCal, why would you get an X-Drive? The reason I ask is if you get an MSport 535i you will most likely get staggered Michelin RFT's, which don't seem to have the same problem as the GY LS-2.
      05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

I don't have Goodyear on my F10, but having problem with high speed vibration.(Continental) apparently my dealer tells me there are getting calls about this, but they won't replace it yet and tells me they are still "figuring out" who gets to pay for new tires.. I'm sure BMW Japan and Continental are just blaming each other for it
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
Where will you put the spare?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
hilljf
Rep

I am in the North East

I will post the response from my dealer tomorrow. But being in the North East, Xdrive is a great value, unless you want to keep a toyota landcruser ready for the heavy snow (which I have two and will sell at least one as we get closer to next winter).

By the way I love the way the xDrive grabs the road and just goes. I had a 540 before, which was a great car. But the 550 xDrive, in addition to the added power, just grabs and goes, no slip at full power. This I like and could be appealing in southern CA....

John
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
If you live in SoCal, why would you get an X-Drive? The reason I ask is if you get an MSport 535i you will most likely get staggered Michelin RFT's, which don't seem to have the same problem as the GY LS-2.
Great question. I'm moving north next year. Also I'd like to be able to drive my friends and I snowboarding or take the family on snow trips, but mostly it's for peace of mind during bad weather in Northern CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Where will you put the spare?
Even without a spare, my AAA or BMW Assist can bring a tire to me and replace my flat whereas they certainly can not do that with a RFT. That said, the trunk with a net when necessary
      05-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
hilljf
Rep

Good progress and congrats BMW

Well and update... I got a call back right away and my BMW dealer had the tire in stock. They said they "got a bunch of them last week" and are ready to swap it out right away.

So perhaps BMW has resolved the supply issues with the tires.. Hopefully I will not need more than one, but am glad I have the insurance.

John
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good news. Hopefully your experience will be the rule and not the exception. I'm getting tired of reading these RFT tire threads.
      06-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
'17 750i Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljf View Post
I have a 550i Xdrive that has about 3k miles on it. I was thinking somehow I was dooing really good, no issues with my goodyear run flats. Opps, today I noticed a bubble, bitten by the bug. Fortunately, having read a few of these posts I purchased the 5 year tire protection insurance from BMW. Well this will be claim #1 and about 50% of the insurance amortized. I hope I don't go into the mode of positive return on that insurance, but all bets have it, that this may be the best extra dollars ever spent on a car.

Now lets see if they can find a tire for me. When I told the service department the tire model and size she goes "oh, those are hard to come by...let me give you a call".

John
The tire package is worth its' weight in gold!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi MSport - TiAg

I got the 5 year tire protection for my 535xi MSport with the 19" goodyear runflats after reading threads like these. I've never seen as many such threads for other cars I've followed, and I'm feeling good about this added purchase.

I got them to put in writing that this tire warranty also covers damage to the wheels, as I had also read the style 351's are delicate. They did it, so if the insurance won't cover the wheels, the dealership can do it for them. I never take their word for it.

08 BMW K1200S / 2002 330ci Sport (sold) / 1989 635csi (sold)
07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LMM
09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
'17 750i Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_Calgary View Post
I got the 5 year tire protection for my 535xi MSport with the 19" goodyear runflats after reading threads like these. I've never seen as many such threads for other cars I've followed, and I'm feeling good about this added purchase.

I got them to put in writing that this tire warranty also covers damage to the wheels, as I had also read the style 351's are delicate. They did it, so if the insurance won't cover the wheels, the dealership can do it for them. I never take their word for it.
They only cover damaged wheels if pressure will not stay in the tire. In other words, if you hit a pot hole and bend the edge of the wheel but you get no loss in tire pressure they usually wont cover to repair the wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Hit a pothole at 50MPH last week and noticed the bulge in the side of the tire.

How long can I wait until having this fixed. It will be covered under the tire insurance I bought, but I've got a really busy two weeks. Is it an imminent tire failure risk?

As a student I would have put another 30k miles on a tire that looked like this one. In any case, is waiting a week or two reckless?

09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Hey Jim,
I guess I have joined the crew of side wall bubblers, noticed it Sunday after washing my car. Most likely the result of a pothole impact is what the dealer told me. I was contemplating a 800 Km drive on Wednesday but thought it would be best if I just fly. The dealer was able to locate the tire for me in Toronto, shipping will take 2-3 days. Now the guy at the dealership service department was assuring me that the tire was still good for driving since I did not lose pressure but I would rather be safe than sorry. I can't imagine his reassurance would help if I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with no spare tire to slap on. I would say its Ok for you to drive around for the next couple of weeks as long as you're not planning a long distance haul between cities. Afterall, once you lose tire pressure you still can run these tires for another 150 kms. Just my 2 cents for you. Hope they can source yours fast, I would recommend checking with them to make sure they have yours in stock otherwise it will take time to get it from Ontario or BC.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I wonder how many people unknowingly drive their cars for 20-30k miles with one of these bubbles on the inboard side of the tire where they can't be viewed except from under the car or with the wheels off.

Probably a lot.

09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Hey Jim,
I am thinking it's plausible. I am getting mine fixed and will get the dealer to check the insides as well since I am starting to become paranoid about this. I do a lot of long distance driving and would hate to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no spare. Can't imagine the roadside assistance would make any difference when I am half way between Winnipeg and Thunderbay!

MBA
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
I wonder how many people unknowingly drive their cars for 20-30k miles with one of these bubbles on the inboard side of the tire where they can't be viewed except from under the car or with the wheels off.

Probably a lot.
Good point, I can tell you that my last e90 330 had a bubble for 25,000 miles without a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #19
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Does anyone know the limitation of the tire insurance , how many times can you put it in for a fix (rims tires etc.)there has to be some kind of cap per year? thanx in advance
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
CitrusgutsIS
waste of space
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: 2012 750 M-sport

well last night i was driving south bound on the F.D.R drive and i blewout a tire, i have the f10 5 series m package which comes with the m wheels and the 245/40/19 goodyear eagles, had the car only 3 weeks now, never added the wheel protection on the car, this is the second time ive had a problem with these wheels, now i have one side in the front with bubbles, one blown tire, bmw assist towed the car to a storage facility until the dealership opens monday, now the wheels for my car have been on back order until the middle of July, can someone tell me whats the best route to take or whats going to happen? i was told by someone that i can call goodyear complain and have them authorize BMW to change all four wheels to michelin at no cost, based on the issues ive had with the tires

2011 335 is l DCT l BSM l saddle brown l Everything else l Sold

2011 x5 35 l AW l red interior l everything else l
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusgutsIS View Post
well last night i was driving south bound on the F.D.R drive and i blewout a tire, i have the f10 5 series m package which comes with the m wheels and the 245/40/19 goodyear eagles, had the car only 3 weeks now, never added the wheel protection on the car, this is the second time ive had a problem with these wheels, now i have one side in the front with bubbles, one blown tire, bmw assist towed the car to a storage facility until the dealership opens monday, now the wheels for my car have been on back order until the middle of July, can someone tell me whats the best route to take or whats going to happen? i was told by someone that i can call goodyear complain and have them authorize BMW to change all four wheels to michelin at no cost, based on the issues ive had with the tires
Sorry about your car man,I live in queens and had this same problem with a 2007 srt8 jeep,I can't believe Goodyear never fixed these tires yet,I just ordered 535i with sport package it's going to happen all over again,I do know Goodyear warranties there tire for 1 year without excessive where,I had to locate a tire and had to have an Goodyear dealer check the tire and they installed it,thats how Jeep did it antway.I was at the BMW dealer yesterday and asked about the tire insurance it's $1495 for three years and it covers rims,I asked them what's with the bubble issue with these tires,they blame it on the Bad roads,this is true to an extent,im coming out of a 2008 LS460 19'' wheels regular tires, Manhatten everyday 3000 pot holes later with no issues. I think you should complain to BMW that you don't want the Goodyears anymore you want the Michelins rfts you feel the Goodyears aren't safe,I think if you still want to run rfts even with Michelins is to get the insurance, but all in all it's always a pain but you will be covered.I doubt Goodyear will call BMW to complain about there product and tell the dealer to put competing tires on(Michelins).Your gonna have to do that! Anyway I'm going to get the insurance to be on the safe side,Good luck let us know the outcome.
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
CitrusgutsIS
waste of space
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: 2012 750 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Sorry about your car man,I live in queens and had this same problem with a 2007 srt8 jeep,I can't believe Goodyear never fixed these tires yet,I just ordered 535i with sport package it's going to happen all over again,I do know Goodyear warranties there tire for 1 year without excessive where,I had to locate a tire and had to have an Goodyear dealer check the tire and they installed it,thats how Jeep did it antway.I was at the BMW dealer yesterday and asked about the tire insurance it's $1495 for three years and it covers rims,I asked them what's with the bubble issue with these tires,they blame it on the Bad roads,this is true to an extent,im coming out of a 2008 LS460 19'' wheels regular tires, Manhatten everyday 3000 pot holes later with no issues. I think you should complain to BMW that you don't want the Goodyears anymore you want the Michelins rfts you feel the Goodyears aren't safe,I think if you still want to run rfts even with Michelins is to get the insurance, but all in all it's always a pain but you will be covered.I doubt Goodyear will call BMW to complain about there product and tell the dealer to put competing tires on(Michelins).Your gonna have to do that! Anyway I'm going to get the insurance to be on the safe side,Good luck let us know the outcome.
thanks but do you think that they will switch out the goodyears with michelins free of cost? and i have to finall see what happens tommorow when they finally drop the car off to life quality

2011 335 is l DCT l BSM l saddle brown l Everything else l Sold

2011 x5 35 l AW l red interior l everything else l
Appreciate 0