2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Decisions

05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
onlyroundel
Registered
Rep
Drives: non-existent

Decisions

Well, I think I'm going to order my 535i tonight and I'm having trouble deciding which options to go with. Previously, all my BMWs had the sport package but I'm considering skipping it on this one. Thoughts? Suggestions? FYI - I'm getting the 535i sedan in a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyroundel View Post
I'm getting the 535i sedan in a manual transmission.
Manual transmission ... a purist

Be sure your getting the manual because you enjoy driving it, otherwise, the ZF 8spd sport auto exceeds in many areas normally expected by a manual.

With that said, I built my F10 strictly around options that would only contribute to the driving performance of the car. That was my 1st one and ended up replacing it with a new F10 because it had a bad pulling problem. After being in several loaners for the span of a few months due to this, I learned that I really love the comfort access, the power trunk and soft close doors. I also picked up the side view cameras and the HUD. All of these because I used them on the demos I drove while waiting for mine. So not really sure how much this helped you, I guess I would recommend trying to experience as many options on demos as you can as some of them that you may not have found valuable, once experienced, you couldn't live without. If you have any specific questions on options, in my signature I have all the options I chose on my current F10, I would be happy to give and impressions on those that your one the fence about.
      05-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

First of all, another for the manual! Mine will be a 6-speed, too.

While we're discussing quandaries about options, here's my two:
1. Integral Active Steering
I had the original Active Steering on my 2007 335i coupe. Loved it at low speeds (so maneuverable!); hated it at high speeds (how come fast lane changes are so sluggish??). Anybody wanna comment on the new system with the rear-wheel steering?

2. Interior color
I'm planning on a Carbon Black exterior (550i M Sport). Not sure about the interior. I'm not a big fan of aluminum (or aluminium, for our UK friends!) trim so I want wood trim. IIRC, you can't get the dark wood (which I like) with the M Sport pkg.

One contender is black Nappa. The light wood looks silly with the black leather, and the anthracite wood + black interior + black headliner makes the whole thing look like a black-and-white photo. (Full disclosure: my M3 is all black -- interior, exterior, headliner, even the black woven leather trim. My boss calls it "Darth Vader's M3" -- and I think I'm bored of it.)

My other thought is cinnamon Dakota leather. I had that color in my 335i -- loved it; got many compliments. For anybody who has it, what did you do for trim??
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

+1 kudos on the manual transmission selection.

I sat in several cars before I ordered mine to determine that I had to get the comfort seats. I can't speak to the sport package because I didn't have an opportunity to compare that and I was really shooting for comfort this time, so I skipped it and saved a bunch of money. I also considered the convenience package, didn't get it and now wish that I had. The doors and especially trunk can be difficult to close, and that would have been a nice feature to have.

I also have the oyster/black interior which my fiancee did not like at all but it's my car so I got it and I love it. It is gorgeous, very elegant and not difficult to keep clean. If you are good about cleaning your car, that is. Some people never clean their interiors, and for them I'm sure the oyster would end up looking bad.

Well crap, now I see that you have probably already ordered it, and after I went to all this trouble to type in my opnions. Dang. Let us know what you did.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Order the sport package on this car, at the least. It gets you a slightly lowered suspension, bigger wheels, sport steering wheel, blacked out trim and the multi-contour seats. Totally worth it. If you were thinking of skipping it based on the ride of your older sport package cars, don't worry, it rides pretty much the same.

I have to say, I'd go with either M Sport or DHP. I really like the way the suspension works in this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I ordered my car (550i M Sport 6-speed) yesterday; waiting for confirmation of my delivery appointment in Munich. I ended up skipping IAS (figuring I'll be happier with the linear response, especially at highway speeds) and the cinnamon interior with anthracite wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
First of all, another for the manual! Mine will be a 6-speed, too.

While we're discussing quandaries about options, here's my two:
1. Integral Active Steering
I had the original Active Steering on my 2007 335i coupe. Loved it at low speeds (so maneuverable!); hated it at high speeds (how come fast lane changes are so sluggish??). Anybody wanna comment on the new system with the rear-wheel steering?

2. Interior color
I'm planning on a Carbon Black exterior (550i M Sport). Not sure about the interior. I'm not a big fan of aluminum (or aluminium, for our UK friends!) trim so I want wood trim. IIRC, you can't get the dark wood (which I like) with the M Sport pkg.

One contender is black Nappa. The light wood looks silly with the black leather, and the anthracite wood + black interior + black headliner makes the whole thing look like a black-and-white photo. (Full disclosure: my M3 is all black -- interior, exterior, headliner, even the black woven leather trim. My boss calls it "Darth Vader's M3" -- and I think I'm bored of it.)

My other thought is cinnamon Dakota leather. I had that color in my 335i -- loved it; got many compliments. For anybody who has it, what did you do for trim??
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0