BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board A lot of people hate BMW

Closed Thread

10-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
A lot of people hate BMW

I'm always amazed at the jealousy which turns into hate that alot of people have towards BMW, the 3 series more to the point. Do you guys/gals notice this? My wife has a TSX, so I'm checking out the Acura board and notice all these posts just bashing the BMW. I think most hate because they can't afford one. I'm not talking about people who just prefer their car over any BMW, that's fine. I dorve japanese cars all my life and I love them for what they are, but I knew I always wanted a BMW and when I finally was able to afford a BMW, I went for it. Before I could afford one, I was always jealous, but no hate.

I understand that not all BMW drivers are *nice* people, but which car brand doesn't have a jerk owner? Not all jerks drive BMWs, so that can't be the reason.

I think the BMW brand is a better overall brand than any japanese brand, but I don't go around bashing anything that's not a BMW.

Danny

p.s. Sorry for the rant!
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
chazmtb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Jealousy
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'll admit, I used to hate BMWs also.... because I couldn't have one.

Now it's different... I gots one!!!! I'm rich Biaatch!!
      10-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yup....esply on the Lexus forums, they hate us
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

When I announced over at LegacyGT.com that I was selling the Subaru and getting another Bimmer, the gang there were 99 per cent encouraging and positive, some even saying that was their next move as well...other guys talked about old Bimmers they had owned, and how they missed them. So i guess it depends on the board. Only one or two guys on that board were asses and I just ignore them.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Many equate BMW owners as those who are "all hat and no cattle". There was a time where one couldn't say BMW without saying yuppie. Most of these owners were snobs and thought everyone else should get out of their way because they #1 were marginally successful #2 drove a BMW.

MB = "old money". BMW = "new/preceived money".
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
When I announced over at LegacyGT.com that I was selling the Subaru and getting another Bimmer, the gang there were 99 per cent encouraging and positive, some even saying that was their next move as well...other guys talked about old Bimmers they had owned, and how they missed them. So i guess it depends on the board. Only one or two guys on that board were asses and I just ignore them.
I didn't sell my Legacy. I just kept it and got a bimmer

But yeah, I find Subaru drivers to be more civilized
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska
Yup....esply on the Lexus forums, they hate us
Thats fine. I don't like Lexus. I like a little sport with my luxury.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

yeah, people do tend to hate on BMW. When I sold my Audi for my E90, I had a lot of mixed respones. Overall, people were pretty encouraging and understanding, but a fair percentage of people were also like "OMG I can't believe you BOUGHT A BMW!" and treated it as if I'd killed someone or something.

I think a lot of people, especially other competitor brand owners, are anti-BMW cuz really, the 3-series is the benchmark for sport sedans. The others do their damnedest to beat the 3, but they just can't seem to do it. There's a fair amount of jealousy involved there, I think.

Whatever, people are just envious. Ultimately, it sucks for them
      10-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

I hated BMW with a passion. Not because of the car...because of the people I used to know that drove them. They were arrogant, mean, and blah blah blah. I even used to tell jokes to my friends whenever BMW came up in conversation: "What's the difference between porcupines and BMWs? The pricks are on the outside of porcupines...

But then something happened. I looked around for a near-luxury car and stumbled on to the E90 and it's been true love ever since. I'm an enthusiast. I don't drive it to say I'm better than you, that I have a better car than you, that I need special recognition because I have a status symbol. I love German engineering, I took 5 years of high school German, and I love the car.

I consider myself a pretty nice guy and anyone who knows me could say I'm pretty easy to get along with. But if people want to hate me because of what I drive, then let them. I used to.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I hated BMW with a passion. Not because of the car...because of the people I used to know that drove them. They were arrogant, mean, and blah blah blah. I even used to tell jokes to my friends whenever BMW came up in conversation: "What's the difference between porcupines and BMWs? The pricks are on the outside of porcupines...

But then something happened. I looked around for a near-luxury car and stumbled on to the E90 and it's been true love ever since. I'm an enthusiast. I don't drive it to say I'm better than you, that I have a better car than you, that I need special recognition because I have a status symbol. I love German engineering, I took 5 years of high school German, and I love the car.

I consider myself a pretty nice guy and anyone who knows me could say I'm pretty easy to get along with. But if people want to hate me because of what I drive, then let them. I used to.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #12
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It was strange, watching BMW become the Yuppiemobile in the 70's, and it turned me off a bit. My bimmers were always set up for speed: limited slip D, etc. I just did not understand why some of the folks that had no interest in performance were buying them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

I think most people hate BMW drivers because of BMW drivers like me.

I am somewhat proud of this. =)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
I think most people hate BMW drivers because of BMW drivers like me.

I am somewhat proud of this. =)
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Reason being, ALOT of BMW owners are total jerks.
Example, while 60% of japanese luxury brand owners are jerks, 80% of
BMW owners are jerks.

I used to bash on BMW owners(just the owners. I loved the car) all the
times. I still do whenever I encounter cocky bmw owners.
Its not like we own Ferraris here. Ferrari/Aston Martin vanquish owners
deserve to be cocky.

When I drive my honda around, and see nice BMW, I smile and give it a
thumbs up. What they do? They stare at you, sometimes look down on you,
sometimes even laugh at you, sometimes just totally ignore you.

Yes, majority of the BMW owners are cocky.
I was VERY surprised to see BMW owners here in this forum are very
nice actually. Realized, its just this board. When I go to Bimmerfest or
where-ever, same story. All about bashing, laughing at other brand cars.

Pathetic.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #16
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Today some very nice lady was driving all in my ass. She thinks I cut her off (5-6 car lengths) then she starts driving all on my bumper and acting like she wants to hit me. At the light I get out of my car (left my son with my friend) and asked her to stop driving like an ass. She was in a piece of shit. She says," I will hit your fuc... BMW" I said, "hit it if you want, I will just get a new one, but if you hurt my son thats in my car now I will ______ing kill you." Walked back to my car and drove away while she kept her distance. I think she was being an ass just because the car. GOD I LOVE NJ
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #17
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Am I a mean bimmer driver if I tell you all that ALOT is not a word?

A... LOT of people don't know this!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #18
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
Today some very nice lady was driving all in my ass. She thinks I cut her off (5-6 car lengths) then she starts driving all on my bumper and acting like she wants to hit me. At the light I get out of my car (left my son with my friend) and asked her to stop driving like an ass. She was in a piece of shit. She says," I will hit your fuc... BMW" I said, "hit it if you want, I will just get a new one, but if you hurt my son thats in my car now I will ______ing kill you." Walked back to my car and drove away while she kept her distance. I think she was being an ass just because the car. GOD I LOVE NJ
NJ drivers are the best.....have to love 'em!!! :rocks:

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #19
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

The problem here is that there's always pretentiousness among BMW drivers...even Honda Civic drivers. It all boils down to relativity and there's a pretty lucrative hierarchy in the auto world.

Gregarious drivers at least smile back when they receive compliments. Impious drivers bloated with hubris don't waste their time groveling themselves with other ignoble drivers. They inculcate upon others their belief that anything lower than a BMW deserves no deference.

It's funny how people repine for attention (unfortunately, it's sad for me to have to admit that this would constitute the majority of BMW owners), get a BMW, and bluntly flaunt their egotistic hubris upon others they deem to be lowly.

I don't believe in karma but whenever I see a keyed or egged E90, it's probably due to indignation among the vandalists, fomented by excessive egotism among BMW owners.

Where's the love, ya'll? Where's the love?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #20
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
The problem here is that there's always pretentiousness among BMW drivers...even Honda Civic drivers. It all boils down to relativity and there's a pretty lucrative hierarchy in the auto world.

Gregarious drivers at least smile back when they receive compliments. Impious drivers bloated with hubris don't waste their time groveling themselves with other ignoble drivers. They inculcate upon others their belief that anything lower than a BMW deserves no deference.

It's funny how people repine for attention (unfortunately, it's sad for me to have to admit that this would constitute the majority of BMW owners), get a BMW, and bluntly flaunt their egotistic hubris upon others they deem to be lowly.

I don't believe in karma but whenever I see a keyed or egged E90, it's probably due to indignation among the vandalists, fomented by excessive egotism among BMW owners.

Where's the love, ya'll? Where's the love?
sounds like u just swallowed a dictionary!!!....or am I flaunting my egotistic hubris.

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #21
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
"hit it if you want, I will just get a new one, but if you hurt my son thats in my car now I will ______ing kill you."

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #22
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think the hate toward BMW is mostly due to the stereotypical BMW driver. I mentioned in a previous post that I always wondered why BMW drivers seemed to be the most aggressive drivers on the road. After driving this car, I see that it the car handles so well, it just begs to be pushed a little harder through the turns than in other cars.

You also have to consider the people that buy BMW simply for the name. These people perpetuate the stereotype. They are the ones that feel that owning a BMW makes them better than others and they do not hesitate to look down on people who don't drive BMW's. But you have to keep in mind that this is all about appearance. In most cases the average BMW owner is no better off financially than someone who drives a so-called lesser brand. I remember seeing in some BMW literature that the average income of a BMW 3 series driver was a few thousand LOWER than the average income of a general sports-luxury sedan owner.

Thank goodness there are still a few driving enthusiasts out there driving BMW's to help reverse this bad image.

Michael
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread