BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
JeremyBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Sport

New squeak in dash

So my less than two month old F25 has developed an almost constant squeak that sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the center of the dash, possibly around the center speaker. It doesn't appear to be related to bumpy road surfaces since the squeaking is present on smooth roads just as much as on bumpy ones. Also, the squeaking doesn't start until the car has been running for at least 10 minutes. So it may be somehow related to heat. The squeaking ruins the beautiful quiet ambiance of the cabin which I have greatly enjoyed for the past two months. I guess it's off to the dealership for a long and frustrating trial and error attempt at a diagnosis. I remember this happening to me 10 years ago with a brand new Nissan Xterra. The rattle, which was also coming from about the same area on the dash, turned out to be a loose wire in the rear of the engine compartment. It just sounded like it was coming from within the dash. It took six visits to the dealership and going without the truck for a week before it was finally diagnosed and then easily fixed. I hope I don't have to go through that ordeal again.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

You are right, it is a little nightmare when your car develop such things, so very hard to fix. Something shouldnt happen in a BMW tbh. Im hoping mine will be fine, the one i have now is simply perfect after 5 years, no squeaks at all. Dont give up though, you are very likely to find the origin of the noise as it is almost certainly something not properly assembled IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Very funny, it's one of those adverts I remember. Appreciate this is causing the thread to drift slightly, but I followed the related video -
- I good one for all the 20d owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Very funny, it's one of those adverts I remember. Appreciate this is causing the thread to drift slightly, but I followed the related video -
- I good one for all the 20d owners.
Not really surprised that ad was banned! I shouldn't laugh. 15 years of filling up with petrol and now own my first diesel.....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBMW View Post
So my less than two month old F25 has developed an almost constant squeak that sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the center of the dash, possibly around the center speaker. It doesn't appear to be related to bumpy road surfaces since the squeaking is present on smooth roads just as much as on bumpy ones. Also, the squeaking doesn't start until the car has been running for at least 10 minutes. So it may be somehow related to heat. The squeaking ruins the beautiful quiet ambiance of the cabin which I have greatly enjoyed for the past two months. I guess it's off to the dealership for a long and frustrating trial and error attempt at a diagnosis. I remember this happening to me 10 years ago with a brand new Nissan Xterra. The rattle, which was also coming from about the same area on the dash, turned out to be a loose wire in the rear of the engine compartment. It just sounded like it was coming from within the dash. It took six visits to the dealership and going without the truck for a week before it was finally diagnosed and then easily fixed. I hope I don't have to go through that ordeal again.
I experience the same thing, in addition to a suspension rattle they believe to be is a loose bushing. Ah well.
Appreciate 0