BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
jmcmathortho
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2016 M4 Vert

2011 X3 Being Serviced Engine Light

I have about 2400mi on my X3 35i completely loaded Space Grey (the only option I didn't get was the auto dim high beams). The car has been a blast to drive runs great - suspension incredible. I noticed the emmisions light came on one morning and didn't go off. At least 4-6 weeks before then I noticed a squeal coming from the engine the last 1-2 seconds before the engine completely stops after turning ignition off. I didn't think they were related and have never owned a BMW so I wasn't sure what the normal engine should sound like. I wasn't too concerned and thought it was a new belt that needed to break in. (To me it sounded like a pulley bearing going bad.) I took it into the service dept- mainly for the emmisions light but I also told them about the squealing sound. The next day they told me the emmsions light was do to a venting problem in the fuel system and would be very easy to fix... no problem so far... Then they told me they would need the car over Memorial Day weekend and into next week because there was a seal on the engine/transmission that was warped allowing air to suck in -and that was the sound I was hearing. He told me they had one other 2011 X3 with the same problem and it took them several days to trouble shoot. They had to bring a BMW tech to Atlanta to find the problem. They told me they would have to remove the transmission to get access to it. They seem to be on top of it and it took less than 24 hours to diagnose the problem. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Glad I purchased an extended warranty considering its the first year model. I asked if they have had any similar problems with the X5 and they said only the new X3. I will update when I get more information. Listen for the squeal when you turn the engine off - it may mean you have the same problem. JM
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
jmcmathortho
Rep

They Fixed the leaking seal between engine and transmission and all tests are normal now. Took one day to repair and I should have it back tomorrow. JM
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Unfortunate that you had this problem on your new X3, at least is appears that you are working with a good dealer who is taking care of this situation. Please keep us posted on your satisfaction with the repairs once you pick up your X3 from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
jmcmathortho
Rep

Repairs were as follows: 11 11 7 587 168 Shaft Seal
Per SRT 05/11, PUMA Case
Replace Crankshaft Rear Seal

All is working now. No more squeal.

JM
Appreciate 0