E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Blootooth dropping out

03-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Blootooth dropping out

Hi all,

I have an issue with my Bluetooth and want to get your view on this. I have a Nokia 6230i which is on the BMW approved list of suitable phones. When I spoke to BMW service about the bluetooth dropping connection, they said it was because my phone needed firmware upgrade to V3.81. I go to Nokia for the upgrade and for most of the past week it has been OK with minimal dropout. Have any of you experianced the same thing. Generally you hear a small break in radio transmission and when you look for the bluetooth symbol on the radio, it has disapeared but will re-establish connection within 5 seconds. When you are on the call, bluetooth sometimes drops out but the call is maintained but either party cant hear oneanother untill bluetooth re-connects.

Battery on the phone is charged up but I notice it is more prone to happening if it's running flat. I'm thinking that the battery in my phone might be the issue so I might buy a new battery to check if this solves the issue before getting BMW to look at the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
it just happened to my Nokia N73 today

Restarted the phone and it works again.

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Just as an FYI, I have a V3 RAZR and in 18 months haven't had a single dropout that wasn't blackspot related.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

I have a Nokia 6233 and have had two problems since November last year. Not actually a drop out but the phone would not operate i could hear my caller but they could not hear me.
I turned the phone off then on and then selected bluetooth and worked fine again.
Bluetooth does eat battery so if i'm not using the car for a few hours i turn bluetooth off. Generally in about four days i recharge frorm a powerpoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
I have two phones paired with my e90. One is Nokia 6230i and second is Sony Ericsson K800i.

The Nokia tends to restart itself when paired with basically any bluetooth device, used battery very quickly and occasional drop out.

Dont have this problem with the Sony Ericson. Given others have similar experience with that Nokia model, it is likely that the Nokia phone that you have is culprit of the problem.

My dealer recommended me to get the Nokia 6233 (because I like Nokia). This is the standard phone that BMW gave out if you ordered Professional Navigation and Business bluetooth.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

My 6230i worked perfectly with my Nokia bluetooth ck-1 car kit.

It's a company phone so I might have to buy my own 6233. As long as this solves the drop out problem I'm happy to pay but if it continued to do it and it turns out to be the car, then i'd be unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Never had a drop out problem with my Razr's dying battery, but I've had a lot of problems with BT draining the battery!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
mike138
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (c)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Never had a drop out problem with my Razr's dying battery, but I've had a lot of problems with BT draining the battery!
i hate that

i do hate that enter key
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
spx1
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 S35i

Garage List
2006 E90 320i  [0.00]
Hey man,
I just change my phone to nokia 6300 and it works perfectly with the bluetooth. It even transfer the phone book to my 320i which can't be done with my nokia 7610
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

I'm going to get a new battery for my phone as I'm convinced this is where the problem lies. Bluetooth draws a lot out of your battery and I suspect that when the battery can't cope with the power drain demand, the Bluetooth function on the phone resets therefore forcing a reset on the opposite end (car system).
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #11
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
After reading this post I've noted too my 6233 dropped out and reconnected within about 30 seconds (only happened once so far). not sure why and not sure if it will be reproducible if i take it up with the dealer. just heard a beep from my phone and looked at iDrive and yes, loss of pairing, looked at my phone, phone was still operational, then it seemed to pair itself back again.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

That is exactly what is happening with mine. Before I upgraded the firmware on the phone, it was resetting every 5 min but now it's not that bad. On the 30 min drive into the office this morning all was good. Last Friday when I was on an important call, it dropped out 3 times in a 5 min period. Not acceptable in this day in age. If BMW service can give me assurance they will rectify this then I will buy the cradle for the phone. If not, I'll just have to install my old Nokia Bluetooth kit into the car. I'm in and out of the car all the time and the phone is part of me.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Well I've been doing a bit of undercover work on Bluetooth compatability only to find that a lot of people are having similar experiances with Nokia phones. Yes they all pair up, and phonebooks come up and you can use the scroll function but they cut out from time to time. The bluetooth system / design in our cars is "Motorola". To what degree of Motorola involement, I don't know but I decided to buy a Motorola RAZR on Saturday as I can't afford for my phone to keep droping out while on an important call.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Mine seems to drop out at the same location every time. I have to go through this intersection every morning and it drops out while I wait at the lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Agree with everyone about the battery drain from BT - it sucks my V3 dry twice as quickly!

I don't keep my BT turned on anymore as:

1) It's annoying having to charge it twice as often
2) I don't really spend enough time on the phone in the car to warrant keeping it on
3) I'm still not convinced about the safety of BT

I usually switch it on if I need to make a call from the car. Otherwise if I pick up when it's off I just use the V3's speaker phone function.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #16
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

My Nokia was flawless with BT.

I got an iMate JasJam, and that is a different story all together. It drops out for no reason, you go to make a call and the pairing drops, or worse, the call connects but you can't hear each other and there is a buzzing over the car's speaker.

All these are sorted with a phone re-boot, but this is not really practical when you are in traffic. I find it very frustrating, because as Murphy's Law would have it, it always drops out just when I need it. AAAARRRGGGH!

Probably an incompatibility between the Bluetooth implementations of BMW and iMate, and probably the iMate JasJam is more the culprit.

Any one else got a JasJam and having similar issues?
      08-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hi Jamie, I've got an O2 Atom Life, which is a Windows Mobile phone like the iMate series. Mine has worked really well for me so far, but I have not used it in any real anger - I don't do that many mobile calls generally.

The phone book downloads to the car perfectly, and where a person has multiple numbers (home, work, mobile), the car puts a (h) (w) or (m) alongside the number - which I really like and was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

Only problem with these phone/pdas is battery life. If you use it in any real anger it lasts for one day at most (as you have probably discovered)...

Last edited by Costa; 08-07-2007 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I have a Samsung D600... not 100% compatible in the sense of downloading my phonebook but I have stored my more common numbers in the car so i voice activate them but no issue with line dropping out of poor connectivity. I hate it when i have the music playing in my car when im washing it and my car picks up my phonecall in my nearby study room and I run to open the car door to answer the call! Neighbours think im weird!!! HAHHAHAH!
      08-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #19
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Hi Jamie, I've got an O2 Atom Life, which is a Windows Mobile phone like the iMate series. Mine has worked really well for me so far, but I have not used it in any real anger - I don't do that many mobile calls generally.

The phone book downloads to the car perfectly, and where a person has multiple numbers (home, work, mobile), the car puts a (h) (w) or (m) alongside the number - which I really like and was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

Only problem with these phone/pdas is battery life. If you use it in any real anger it lasts for one day at most (as you have probably discovered)...
Yes, I love the (h) (w) (m) too as it makes the multiple entries thing work really well. Multiple entries on my Noika were not accessible.

I do regret that a snap in module isn't available to charge the phone, and I don't like those dicky after market things that plug into your lighter socket. I do have one for emergencies, but if I try to put it in the socket in the centre armrest it doesn't let the lid close... I have to find a smaller one, then it is all out of sight.

The thing I do miss though is being able to access the car antenna which boosts power. The Next G coverage is pretty good without it, but I am sure that with the car antenna boost it would be excellent.

At the moment, I can almost drive from Adelaide to Robe on the SE coast of SA without a dropout, so that is much better than my GSM coverage was... so I am just a whinger