E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer Buy Backs / Not Fit For Purpose?

06-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Dealer Buy Backs / Not Fit For Purpose?

OK, I think I know the answer to this one, but has anyone else here ended up with a total dog of a car from an approved dealer, and had success with a buy back or an exchange?

I still want a 335D, I just dont want this one, and its cost the warranty company best part of £7k now, I'm paranoid to even start the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

I have 'rejected' 2 cars over the years, both were brand new though - and both Vauxhalls (we don't buy Vauxhalls now!). So, whilst I can't be specific about how your rights may vary with 'used' cars, as with a new car, the manufacturer is involved, whereas with used, it's between you and the supplying dealer. However I can give advice on 'rejecting' a car. The first thing you must do is to advise the dealer that you are rejecting the car as unfit for purpose. List the diary of problems you have had, also list things such as 'loss of confidence' and 'loss of pleasure' as a result of the problems. Also, inadequate and inappropriate pre-delivery inspection. Reject the car 'in writing' to the dealer principle and open copy your letter to BMW Customer Service and the Trading Standards office covering the dealer. Give them a reasonable time to respond - say 14 days, and leave them in no doubt that you expect either a full refund or 'like for like' replacement. If you have finance on the car, you must also include them in the letter distribution and make sure you are not left out of pocket in the winding up of the finance.

Be prepared for a fight, but stick to your demand for full satisfaction. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Sorry to hear you are in this position, I did manage to return my car (bmw auc) last year and get into a brand new model. Very similar circumstances to you actually, the BMW uk representative that I dealt with was very helpful, I suggest you get onto BMW uk, if they sympathise with your case the franchise are literally informed if what they will be doing to remedy the situation.

Good luck, start composing your letter and be patient, even if they except the rejection it could be a while before you are in another car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Well thats fairly good, I was expecting responses of "yeah, jog on sunshine"

Its all come at the wrong time as well, we're literally, about to have a baby so its a ballache I really dont need!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Dude,

Read this http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...d_vehicles.htm

Seems like you've got some work to do, but 6 months is a critical date whereby proof of fault becomes YOUR responsibility.

Before 6 months (from date of purchase of used car) the dealer has to PROVE it was OK when they sold it to YOU.

Speed is of the essence - best sharpen your pencil........
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Dude,

Read this http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...d_vehicles.htm

Seems like you've got some work to do, but 6 months is a critical date whereby proof of fault becomes YOUR responsibility.

Before 6 months (from date of purchase of used car) the dealer has to PROVE it was OK when they sold it to YOU.

Speed is of the essence - best sharpen your pencil........
TO THE BATCAVE!!!! dula la la lur la lnaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!

Good link, thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sorry to hear of this situation your are currently in. Does sound like you have bad one.

I'm sure the next one will be super reliable!
      06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Sorry to hear of this situation your are currently in. Does sound like you have bad one.

I'm sure the next one will be super reliable!
See, I dont really want another car, I want this car, I just want it not to break everytime I sneeze near it. I suppose the best I can hope for is to get it swapped like for like for another car, either that or I want them to give me another years warranty FOC.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I can't offer any advice but it sounds like your car is a mythical "Friday Afternoon Special Edition".

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Unfortunately all too real. I had a MKIV Golf that had severe and entirely different faults on a monthly basis. In the end VW gave me a brand new one 18 months into a three year contract hire. You just have to complain regularly, firmly and politely.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
I can't offer any advice but it sounds like your car is a mythical "Friday Afternoon Special Edition".

I agree - whilst another year of warranty may give you confidence that it will be fixed, it won't restroe your confidence in the car or make up for the inconvenience whilst it is in for repair. You will detect from the general tone on this forum that you drive a fairly reliable type of car, so the list of problems you have are rare, but not unknown.

The number of times the car went back to the dealer for warranty work before you owned it will be on record. It may be that you will see that the car was a 'problem' from the start. On the other hand, the previous owner may be one of these people who ignored faults and due to a poor Pre Delivery Inspection you have picked them all up. Finally, this could be altogether more sinister and the car may have had a smash - not bad enough for it to be a 'cat D', but bad enough to cause problems beyond the obvious bodywork.

As much as you like the car, I really think you need to say goodbye to it. If they can't produce a like for like, you want a full refund and start looking on the BMW Used web site. Remember - find the car you want, and the dealer will more than likely deliver it to your door.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I wouldn't push for years extra warranty as it obvously is an unreliable motor. Push to get it changed.