E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning/condtioning M3 steering wheel****

06-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Cleaning/condtioning M3 steering wheel****

What is the best product and process to give the steering wheel a good cleaning and conditioning? The wheel isn't installed right now so want to give it a good treatment while its off.. Thanks!!

Last edited by Donia330i; 06-10-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
DLE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but here it goes :

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelstires.html

From what I've seen, you can't/don't really want to do more than wash and wax. I may be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry i meant m3 steering wheel!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I use Leatherique Prestine Clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
the_doctor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 335xi 6MT

I use Zaino z9/z10. I clean it up approx once every 1-2 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Swissvax Leather Cleaner and Leather milk. Afterwards you can maintain it with Swissvax Quick Interior Finish
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doctor View Post
I use Zaino z9/z10. I clean it up approx once every 1-2 months.
I would avoid Z10 on the steering wheel as it makes it kind of slippery but Z9 works well for removing dirt and oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I just use Lexol leather cleaner with a leather brush from DI to aggregate, and follow up with the Lexol conditioner. I've never used any of the boutique leather cleaners (ex. Swissvax, leatherique), because the one I have now seems to work fine. It's sold locally at any auto parts store. I don't think i'd use anything cheaper than Lexol on my leather though.
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Leather covered steering wheel

Steering wheels have an extra coating of protective finish on the already finished or coated leather. Perspiration and dirt are absorbed readily into the dry leather, and combined with the ultra violet (UV-B) radiation of the sun a chemical reaction occurs that degrades the finished leather. All of us have seen this wear on steering wheels

Using leather oil-based conditioners on finished leather may cause delamination from the leather substrate. As the oils will permeate the leather via the stitching or any micro-cracks in the surface, once oil gets between the urethane and the substrate it causes loss of adhesion (See also Oil and Oil based Products)

Most manufacturer’s advice against using oil-based conditioners on steering wheels as it makes the surface slippery and could be dangerous if you lose control of the vehicles steering

1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Masters™ Strong Effect Cleaner ) or a de-greaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependant upon type and extent of soil or stain

2. For oil or grease stains use Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather. This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.

3. Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).

4. Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry

5. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection

Do not use an abrasive on the surface as you’ll remove the protective topcoat (UV-B)

Leather Stitching

Try to avoid getting leather chemicals on the stitching or in the seams as it can discolour some threads. If the chemical gets in between panels, it may be difficult to get it out. This may even weaken the backing at the seams.
Leather stitching is usually cotton and nylon mix, nylon is attacked by solvents, they melt it and weaken the threads.

An oil-based product will attract abrasive dirt / grit and permeated the leather via the stitching, the oil will soften the leather, and the abrasive dirt plus friction may cause the leather to tear and / or the stitching to fail. Do not use harsh solvent-based cleaners as this may cause the stitching to fail over time

Stitching is somewhat friable if subjected to excessive abrasion. Bearing this in mind the cleaner and applicator needs to ‘do the work’ without relying on excess friction

a) Clean stitching using a medium / hard horse hair brush, a toothbrush or a sponge, spray and work the aqueous (water- based) cleaner into a foam or use; don't spray on the wheel, spray on the brush, constantly rinse the brush in clean water, remove cleaner by rinsing with clean water.

b) Use an aqueous (water- based) foaming cleaner; Leather Masters™ Foam Cleaner, shake aerosol thoroughly and then lightly rub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture.

You may need to repeat this process
Once the stitching and the seating surfaces are clean apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection this will help to keep the stitching clean and inhibit the ingress of dirt and soil
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep

wow talk about detailed! ^^^^ thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I like to use the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil for the steering wheel, seats and other leather trim.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

wow talk about detailed! ^^^^ thanks for the info

You're more than welcome
Appreciate 0