E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service Engine Soon, error codes - need help.

06-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Service Engine Soon, error codes - need help.

Hi everyone,

I need some opinions, experience, advice, etc. I have a 2006 330i, all options/package and AT. It now has around 68K miles.

It randomly popped a Service Engine Soon light while driving home last night. From my experience here, I know that's usually a minor, emissions-related fault, but I wanted to know ASAP what the deal was, just in case, so I attempted to swing by the dealer first thing in the morning.

They said it would cost $161 and take about 2 hours for them to tell me what errors were thrown. So I obviously took it to another knowledgeable, trustworthy source to have the codes read. Unfortunately for me, turned out it wasn't "forgot the gas cap" stuff. Turned out to be three separate faults. Here's what it says:

-2A87 Exhaust VANOS, mechanism
-2E81 Electrical coolant pump, speed deviation
-2E85 Electrical coolant pump, communication

He also found two recent BMW service bulletins involving these (one from 10/10 and one from 11/10), both of which read like a Choose Your Own Adventure of possible culprits. I couldn't really follow them. He said he'd never encountered them before, and there's no way to really even estimate a fix, since it's more a matter of back-tracking until the solution is found. I picked the car back up, and now need to figure out what to do.

I don't have a warranty anymore, I've only ever gone to the dealer for service and repairs, and have always taken proper care of my car.

So, my question here is really, has anyone else dealt with these specific issues? Can anyone advise what they would do, things to be aware, etc.? How would you guys go about fixing? What parts may be involved, etc. I guess I'm trying to figure out what I'm up against here. This car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it.

Thanks guys...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

There are two VANOS oil flow control solenoids on the front of the engine that can trigger the 2A87 (exhaust) and 2A82 (Intake) codes. There is a DIY on how to remove and replace the solenoids. It is really, really, really easy. Look in the DIY section for it. It should be near the top of the list since I just posted to it over the weekend. Basically you can remove and replace the solenoid, or remove and clean it and reinstall it. No new gaskets are necessary. Now the Bentley service manual says you can swap the solenoids with each other (they are the same P/N) to test which one is bad and to eliminate the cam position sensor (which can also throw the 2A8X codes). I just did this procedure last weekend. My thought is swapping the solenoids allows them to run different programs for VANOS control now that they are controlling the opposite cams (when swapped), which may “work them in” to another operating profile and still have a useful life. I've put about 200 miles on my car since cleaning and swapping them and no code has reappeared.

As for the water pump, my car is showing the code for slow speed as well. Mine's been off by under 100 RPM in the six instances it has popped up, so I'm in a wait and see mode. It may be an indication that the electric water pump is starting to go. Note that the slow water pump does not throw the check engine light, so you have to keep reading the ECU for fault codes. I first discovered mine after a recent oil change.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Thanks for the reply.

1. Will look into the solenoid. Hopefully that's all it is. I've heard it could also be the camshaft itself, and a pretty serious repair.

2. I started the car this morning, drove literally one block, and the fan started up - car sounded like an airplane. It's never done that before, certainly not one minute after a cold start.

Safe to say there's something wrong, and I won't be trying to drive anywhere like this. Guess I'll have to tow itself somewhere. The dealer is close, but $$$.

Sigh...this car has probably shaved a decade off my life so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Most of the time, the solenoids just stick.....try blowing shop air through it. I had the one for intake and I just took it out, blew some compressed air through it, and it has been fine since.

As for the water pump errors, it sounds like the propeller is deteriorated. Or the bearing is. Or possibly a blockage in the system. On the E90, the coolant flows through the oil filter housing and if the oil filter housing gasket fails, it can chunk into the coolant system, causing blockages and possibly pump failure if the gasket gets lodge into the propeller.
Appreciate 0