E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Direct Line

06-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Angry Direct Line

I was already with DL when I bought my E91, and I thought the 'admin' fees to cancel my policy mid-term had made it pretty much pointless changing insurer. The premium got hiked quite substantially from the Mundaneo I was driving, but I expected that.

I've started looking properly for a set of winter wheels already, knowing I'll need time to get them refurnbed and tyres fitted. Ideally I wanted an identical set of MV3s, but there aren't that many around, and they're relatively expensive for what they are.

I saw these on BM Autosport's website and fell in love instantly:

They're identical size to the MV3s, and as soon as I saw them I knew I wanted them as summer wheels. I phoned DL to ask how much it would be to just add a set of aftermarket alloys, thinking it must be such a common mod it wouldn't be too drastic...

It's an extra £250 for the remaining 6 months, only nearly a 50% increase in premium!

I politely told them to get stuffed, and now I'm sitting here wondering which way to go about it. Do I cancel the policy with them, suck up their admin charges and start with someone a little more mod-friendly, or do I carry on looking for a set of MV3s?

So, £250 extra premium + £450 for the alloys I really want, or £600-700 for a half decent set of used MV3s?

Help!

Last edited by parapaul; 06-25-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

get a quote from admiral, I was in the exact same boat as you.

It worked out cheaper to do this than stay with DL by a fair few £££'s
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Coupe

I would look at Admiral. I've been with them since March Bought the Beemer 3 weeks ago and 2 days after i agreed the deal ran into the back of someone in my old car. They were very helpful and the change from the Astra to the beemer was about 20% not bad considering the jump in insurance group and that i'd just had a crash
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I was already with DL when I bought my E91, and I thought the 'admin' fees to cancel my policy mid-term had made it pretty much pointless changing insurer. The premium got hiked quite substantially from the Mundaneo I was driving, but I expected that.

I've started looking properly for a set of winter wheels already, knowing I'll need time to get them refurnbed and tyres fitted. Ideally I wanted an identical set of MV3s, but there aren't that many around, and they're relatively expensive for what they are.

I saw these on BM Autosport's website and fell in love instantly:

They're identical size to the MV3s, and as soon as I saw them I knew I wanted them as summer wheels. I phoned DL to ask how much it would be to just add a set of aftermarket alloys, thinking it must be such a common mod it wouldn't be too drastic...

It's an extra £250 for the remaining 6 months, only nearly a 50% increase in premium!

I politely told them to get stuffed, and now I'm sitting here wondering which way to go about it. Do I cancel the policy with them, suck up their admin charges and start with someone a little more mod-friendly, or do I carry on looking for a set of MV3s?

So, £250 extra premium + £450 for the alloys I really want, or £600-700 for a half decent set of used MV3s?

Help!
At that price they don't deserve the business - ditch em!

Always worth trying "go-compare" online. You can also add your mods and see how the prices compare.

The CSL style alloy's are a great looking wheel, you won't go far wrong with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I think many/most are really harsh with cancelation or change of car.

Adrian Flux did the same to me a couple of years ago. Gave a silly insurance quote on a car I had bought and the cost to cancel was every bit as bad.

They do a price match at the start of the policy but don't do it mid-policy.

Got you both ways.
Appreciate 0