E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Drill new Holes For Swaybar Endlinks - FK Silverline Coilovers

06-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Drill new Holes For Swaybar Endlinks - FK Silverline Coilovers

So I was getting my FK Silverline coilovers installed today and the mechanic said my new sway bar endslinks that came with the setup were too short so he drilled new holes to install them.

Is this normal procedure? I had never read about anything like this and have been a bit concerned ever since.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

never heard of this... did he drill a new hole at the bottom of the shock bracket? do you have a pic?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
you should buy adjustable end links from hpautowerks

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
never heard of this... did he drill a new hole at the bottom of the shock bracket? do you have a pic?
I never got to see where he drilled, but he said my new endlinks were not fitting and he would need to drill a new hole... I'm guessing into my sway bar?

I will try to jackup the car tmrw and have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
you should buy adjustable end links from hpautowerks
Too late now, already installed haha
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I hope he didn't drill into the sway bar there's not much room. unless he elongated the holes which would still be bad. The FK endlink should be enough. they should be longer than stock. if not you could have used the stock ones until you got correct ones. if he drill the swaybar I would check to see how much material is around the hole he drilled. if it's not much I would replace the swaybar and get the correct endlinks. the swaybar might crack around the eye holes when putting strain on it, not a risk I would take, I'm not a expert but I would not run it.

here's a pic of my M3 swaybar with HPA adjustable endlinks.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
I have a feeling he may have drilled the holes a bit bigger allowing the endlinks to fit in... I really hope this isn't the case since that would mean I can no longer return it to stock.

Will get under the car and check it out tommorow when the suns out

Thanks for all the help so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

as long as there's material around the hole you should be ok. I just don't understand why he would do that. the endlink will fit regardless in length. when you put aftermarket or adjustable endlink the purpose for them is to bring the swaybar back to it original location to keep the geometry correct. Used Stock or ZSP swaybars are fairly cheap so if you ever need to replace it I'm sure you can find one on here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
as long as there's material around the hole you should be ok. I just don't understand why he would do that. the endlink will fit regardless in length. when you put aftermarket or adjustable endlink the purpose for them is to bring the swaybar back to it original location to keep the geometry correct. Used Stock or ZSP swaybars are fairly cheap so if you ever need to replace it I'm sure you can find one on here.
Yeah at the time I had no idea what was going on and he told me he had to drill to make the endlinks fit, my main concern is just as you mentioned the amount of material around the hole if he did indeed enlarge it using a drill. Definitely do not want to compromise the structure of my sway bar, hopefully it looks good tommorow.

Thanks again for your replies. I'll try and snap a pic if I can tommorow.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

FK's use koni shocks iirc, and the swaybar mount tabs on them are fairly large, so if he had to drill a 2nd hole in the mounting tab, I wouldn't be too concerned, though he shouldn't have needed to do that.

You might want to take your wheel off and see exactly what he did.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

what was the outcome?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Still haven't had a chance to get underneath and look. Will post up an update once I do hopefully this weekend or on Monday.
Appreciate 0