E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Wire Connections to Amp terminal posts?

07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
SharpPointyStick
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Alpine White 323i (E90)

Wire Connections to Amp terminal posts?

How do you professions do the wire connections to your amps (specifically a Zapco Amp)? Do you go bare wire under the terminal posts or use sort of crimp on?

I am getting some issues on my amp, and I think it is due to the wiring connection to the amp terminal post.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
naamanf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 TRX

What sort of issues?

I will either carefully trim the wire and insert it as is or tin it with solder. If the terminal is made for spades I will crimp then solder it on. The idea is to get the best connection possible that won't come loose and allows the most surface area contact.

335d M-Sport/Everything + Individual, 550i M-Sport ED APR 2014
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
SharpPointyStick
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Alpine White 323i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naamanf View Post
What sort of issues?
Audio has been cutting in/out on the front speakers, which are driven from a Zapco Amp. Audio on the underseat woofer, driven from another zapco amp is fine. I am guessing a bad wiring connection at the amp, as the audio cuts in/out based on bumps and corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPointyStick View Post
Audio has been cutting in/out on the front speakers, which are driven from a Zapco Amp. Audio on the underseat woofer, driven from another zapco amp is fine. I am guessing a bad wiring connection at the amp, as the audio cuts in/out based on bumps and corners.
For the sound to completely drop out, you would have to have a VERY bad speaker wire connection at the amp. I suspect the problem lies somewhere else, perhaps a bad RCA or some problem with the remote wire?

As far as the connections with the amp terminals, I always use bare wire with screw down connectors. Just make sure that none of the outer insulation is inside the connector, and that you do not screw down too hard, and you will have a very good electrical connection.