BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Two Things I Learned about ED today!

I thought I knew it all but I got my official ED packet. Here are two things I learned that concern me a little bit.

1. The ED Insurance covers everything in EU countries plus a few extra. No deductible for collision and large liability coverage BUT theft has a 10% deductible. So if my 1M gets stolen in Prague and ends up in some chop shop in the suburbs of Moscow, I guess I am out about $5000!

2. I have heard many here say that you can pay for the break in service in EU and get reimbursed by BMW BUT, the packet explicitly and clearly says that US 4yr/50K mile warranty will be honored by all BMW dealers in Europe BUT the the US 4yr/50K mile service explicitly says that only dealers in US or Puerto Rico can perform said service thereby ALL service performed in Europe is the responsibility of the owner.

Any input from people in the "Know" here. Not just guesses please anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this?

I don't think my US insurance would cover the car in Europe and I don't see an option by buy additional insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I thought I knew it all but I got my official ED packet. Here are two things I learned that concern me a little bit.

1. The ED Insurance covers everything in EU countries plus a few extra. No deductible for collision and large liability coverage BUT theft has a 10% deductible. So if my 1M gets stolen in Prague and ends up in some chop shop in the suburbs of Moscow, I guess I am out about $5000!

2. I have heard many here say that you can pay for the break in service in EU and get reimbursed by BMW BUT, the packet explicitly and clearly says that US 4yr/50K mile warranty will be honored by all BMW dealers in Europe BUT the the US 4yr/50K mile service explicitly says that only dealers in US or Puerto Rico can perform said service thereby ALL service performed in Europe is the responsibility of the owner.

Any input from people in the "Know" here. Not just guesses please anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this?

I don't think my US insurance would cover the car in Europe and I don't see an option by buy additional insurance.
i'm waiting for my pocket to arrive, though i'm picking up the 1M.

1. that's interesting. i would love it to be a full coverage. u going to Prague too? i'm thinking from Munich to Vienna to Prague to Frankfurt. hit the Ring if i have an extra day to spare. what's ur plan?

2. i read that u pay for the service in Europe but when u get back to the states u can send the paperwork to BMWUSA. they will reimburse whatever u paid.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
i'm waiting for my pocket to arrive, though i'm picking up the 1M.

1. that's interesting. i would love it to be a full coverage. u going to Prague too? i'm thinking from Munich to Vienna to Prague to Frankfurt. hit the Ring if i have an extra day to spare. what's ur plan?

2. i read that u pay for the service in Europe but when u get back to the states u can send the paperwork to BMWUSA. they will reimburse whatever u paid.
I was originally going to Salzburg, Innsbruck, Garmish, Zurich, Frieburg then hit the Nurburgring, but I added it all up and came up about 300 miles short of break in, so I thought of adding Prague so that when I hit the ring, I'll have the 1200 miles and get the fluids changed, then take it for a spin on the course. Now, not sure about break in, it sounds like it's about 500 Euros for the service. Also the theft deductible seems a bit high especially if the car dissapers.

When are you going?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

mid Sept. what about u?

i'm trying to go to the Frankfurt auto show which starts on Sept 15 to 25. figure on the way back we can catch the show easily then drop the car off at Frankfurt.

we're considering 2 routes. one is going east like my above post. another one would be heading west to Paris. i'm leaning towards to east while wife may prefers west more. not sure yet at this point.

maybe u should consider staying in Switzerland for longer since if u're going to Zurich anyway? i heard the toll pass is expensive so u might be better off make it worth awhile. we just got back from Switzerland 3 months ago. went to Zurich, Luzern, Bern, Interlaken & Geneva. it was amazing week.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You might try an international insurance company like AIG or Alianz for coverage over here. You will need to have the "green insurance card" for coverage over here.

The first oil service runs about 500 euros over here. Maybe check with BMW NA to see wether they will reimburse you.

As for warranty coverage... yes your car is covered while over here... but you only get what the Germans get. ie: 2 years unlimted miles. That is what all of us get on our MCS delivered BMWs. Even though we have US specs... we only get the same warranty as the Germans do. AND.... we have to pay for ALL maintence costs. Nothing is free in Germany!

Btw... IF I German were to ship his car to the USA - I bet he would get the 4yr/50k mile free maintence program! It goes both ways. lol

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

To add on to Dackel, USAA and Geico can also provide European policies if you're looking for a stateside vendor. My buddy just did Welt delivery last weekend and had his policy in place before he picked it up, of course it's staying in the UK for a bit.

I've never heard of being reimbursed for maintenance costs when you get back to states, I've already given my BMW dealer several hundred quid with more to come, it would be nice to get that back.

Oh and Dackel, we get the 3 year UK warranty on ours
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
To add on to Dackel, USAA and Geico can also provide European policies if you're looking for a stateside vendor. My buddy just did Welt delivery last weekend and had his policy in place before he picked it up, of course it's staying in the UK for a bit.

^^This is bc Geico and USAA have AIG underwrite their German policies over here. You are paying Geico and USAA but the insurance is really from AIG.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^This is bc Geico and USAA have AIG underwrite their German policies over here. You are paying Geico and USAA but the insurance is really from AIG.
Geico actually uses Chartis (vehicle) and Aviva (home) here in the UK, not AIG, well, I think Chartis used to be AIG, not sure how that all worked out. Still a lot easier going through them then having to deal with something on the economy, especially with foreign vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
mid Sept. what about u?

i'm trying to go to the Frankfurt auto show which starts on Sept 15 to 25. figure on the way back we can catch the show easily then drop the car off at Frankfurt.

we're considering 2 routes. one is going east like my above post. another one would be heading west to Paris. i'm leaning towards to east while wife may prefers west more. not sure yet at this point.

maybe u should consider staying in Switzerland for longer since if u're going to Zurich anyway? i heard the toll pass is expensive so u might be better off make it worth awhile. we just got back from Switzerland 3 months ago. went to Zurich, Luzern, Bern, Interlaken & Geneva. it was amazing week.
August 1 delivery. Love Switzerland, was there as a student in college for a couple of weeks. Staying with friends for about 3 days this time. Only problem is roads are very restrictive from what I hear nowadays. It's also super expensive. Trying to stretch the budget a bit. Once this trip is over, I still have to keep buying tires for this thing and they are not cheap. : )
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Thanks to both on this. I'll look into AIG..maybe they are good for something after all. : )
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I paid 178 euros for the oil service. Nothing magical happens at 1200 miles, another couple hundred won't hurt the car.
Appreciate 0