BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

Well I made the right decision

A while ago I posted that I picked up a used Porsche Cayman S since my 1 M build date was October. It was a tough decision and I was waiting for the day to see you in person. After all, I had time to change my mind and sell the CS.

That day came last week,and while I do not mean to insult anyone here, I gotta say that I know I made the right choice. For me anyway.

I'm sure the 1M could knock off the CS in many comparos performance wise, and that BMW knocked it out of the park in the "bang for the buck" catagory, but......I have to be honest and say that asthetically I found it to be kinda dull.

The wheels are great as are the flared fenders, but the interior is so unispiring. I sat inside and said "vroom vroom" as I did some shifting but never felt like "man I blew it".

I saved some $ and couldn't be happier. Still the 1M is a great car and one for the collectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowse View Post
I sat inside and said "vroom vroom" as I did some shifting but never felt like "man I blew it"
Thanks for that insight, I'm sure potential owners will find it useful.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

I love my CS, if I had to decide between the CS and 1M it wouldn't be easy, a few mods in that CS and you'll be even happier! If you upgrade the Exhaust, Intake Plenum and add a GT3 throttle body you will see a great increase in low end torque. Enjoy!
      07-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

So...you didn't drive it but you pretended to go fast?
      07-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post

nothin left to do but close this one down.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Lckyrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jag XJ

You probably weren't saying "vroom vroom" loud enough to get the full feel of the car... Suddenly I feel embarrassed to be from Cleveland.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

This is exactly where I was 2 months ago.

Ironically, the thing I worried about most was how the Cayman was just such an ordinary looking car and there is one around every corner in Atlanta. I also didn't want to end up paying 70k for a 2-seater I was only going to drive 50% of the time. Based on this in fact, my regular Audi/Porsche mechanic was on the lookout for a nice used Cayman S for me.

Then out of the blue I came across an Autoblog article about the 1M, typed in bwmusa.com, build your own ... and I was hooked.

So, for $55k I got a fantastic looking (in my eyes), relatively rare (I think there are around 5-10 in Atlanta based on forum activities and my calls to dealerships looking for allocations), brand new car with 4 years of free maintenance.

So, no regrets here either.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lckyrocket View Post
You probably weren't saying "vroom vroom" loud enough to get the full feel of the car... Suddenly I feel embarrassed to be from Cleveland.
LMAO
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Jeremy clarkson has a great nickname for the cayman "cockster"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I struggled with the same comparison. It was either the 1M or a used Cayman S. I currently am exiting a lease on my Mini S (I've driven both the Mk 1 and 2 for the past 5 years as a daily) so I didn't have the financial bias of already owning one of my choices.

One of my friends has the base Cayman. It's a great looking car but as Jeremy Clarkson and Chris Harris have pointed out in reviews, it's not the most practical car.

It's also not the most exclusive.

That being said, this is an apples and oranges comparison. I love the shape of the Porsche and someday I will take the plunge--I think the concept 550 is a good entry point.

I think that a lot of the spirited debate and agonizing choices we are forced to make as non-lottery winners who are considering world-class vehicles, is healthy and informative. I personally don't care about the performance numbers after a certain point because I'm more interested in how the car makes me feel. Anything else is semantics and should be solved on the track.

Having test-driven a Cayman S and a 135 M-sport, I made an intentionally humorous comparison in an earlier post about each car being analogous to someone you'd want backing you in a bar-fight. The Porsche is a proper refined gentleman, while the 1M is an brute.

I dunno...

When I drove the Cayman, I felt like James Bond.

But I think that when I get into my 1M, it'll be more like Shaft..."a baaaaaaad mutha...you watch your mouth...well I'm talkin' about Shaft, baby..."

My .02...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post

When I drove the Cayman, I felt like James Bond.
I'm sure you mean the Pierce Brosnan Bond and not Connery or Daniel Craig

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

LAZENBY!

J/k. Yeah mang...Connery from Dr. No to say...Thunderball, inclusive.

I think that the 1M would be a fairly good match to the DB5, given the layout.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread