Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
Hi,

Should I take it or not?

Thanks
NO IMHO!

You asked. I can't understand why people want rolling arcades in THIS type of car. This is a raw back-to-basics car. Get off your phone and drive the car. You can talk on your phone everywhere else.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & 2014 Cayenne Diesel

If your going to get all the other options like I did, I would say get the BMW apps so your car is basically "fully loaded" since its just a $300 option...IMO I love playing around with the idrive and the BMW apps is just another option on your screen to do so, as for the functionality I have used the facebook app a couple times but thats about it, but I love having the newest technology, so I opted for it!

-Karthic
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
Hi,

Should I take it or not?

Thanks
Yes. If you are an iOS user Yes. Here are the reasons:

1. Apps are not simply a way for you to play Angry Birds on your Nav Screen. They actually allow you to utilize the extremely powerful System On a Chip (SOC) on your iPhone/iPod to run a variety of productivity/entertainment/social/informational applications that are fully integrated with your car's infotainment system.

2. Apps enhance your existing BMW system and bring (somewhat) it into parity with setups like FORD's SYNC

3. Apps can be updated easily and relatively cheaply. For example, a dedicated GPS based track logger like TraqMate costs 100's if not 1000's of $$ while an app for your iPhone will be less than $10. Of course you will not get the precision of a dedicated system but unless you are an actual pro or very dedicated amateur you probably won't care.

4. $250 is very reasonable compared to the rest of the vehicle options and the return on your investment based on future upgradeability (see above)

FYI, I could care less about FB/Twitter/Google+ integration. Anyone who posts "Now approaching xxxx city with avg speed xx" on a social media feed is a right royal knob in my book

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

my 2 cents. i don't really need it, though my CA told me that he's adding the App to all the (other BMW) cars he orders for inventory now. it can be a deal breaker for some people, since it's not possible to add later.

the reason i don't like it is because u need to take the phone out of the case & put it into the holder to use it. for my daily commute i don't see the point at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

I bought the Apps package as I have high hopes (probably not to be realised) for the system.

Here in Israel, there is no BMW GPS, so an after-market nav setup is a necessity. Probably because of the lack of OM nav, the country has developed the incredible Waze app. For those who haven't heard of it, it is basically a social-network for driving, mapping routes, giving real-time traffic information, speed-cam alerts, road closures etc etc, all updated automatically and in real-time by anyone and everyone using the app. It is on my iPhone.

To be able to link Waze up to the iDrive would not only mean I was no longer tied to the crappy alternative Nav systems, and also mean I wouldn't have to have my phone stuck to the windscreen, with power chords snaking everywhere.

FB and Twitter be damned; anyone know if this will be possible?

www.waze.com
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have absolutely no interest in Twitter or Facebook in my car. I don't use either on my PC and I have no interest whatsoever in using it in the car.

However, yesterday I popped into my dealer to add the apps package onto my order. Why? Well because I want the full iPhone / iPod functionality added. Apparently without the apps package, you can't get the full iPod integration (including album art, video playback, etc). Also with the full iPod integration, you also get a proper iPod menu where you can easily select your playlists etc.

This little video demonstrates the system:

Although this is a drivers car (and that's exactly what I intend to do with it), it's nice to have these sorts of features installed. Plus it's easier to install them now than trying to have them retro fitted afterwards!

With the media adapter in place, I should just be able to plug my phone into it and then have access to all of my music, the phone functionality and it'll also charge it as well.

Do I want to make calls in my car? No not really, but it's useful if someone wants to call me when I'm out and about. The main driver for me is the ability to listen to my music when I feel like chilling out a bit
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have apps in 1M i barely use it.

I always go for usb put a usb stick in for music and bleutooth telephone.

That s all i need for media in this car. I rather had no idrive also but it was standard here.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

From 3:45 mins, you can see the full iPod functionality through BMW Apps in action here:

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
flux
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I think you should. It is only 250 which isn't bad for something that you can never add later. And I want to use it for the internet services and pandora (which you should try if you haven't). Plus I'm sure more apps are going to be integrated like email. Which I know would be useful for driving to work. I bet they will get something soon like voice to text, then you can respond to email/sms.
I'm excited for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
my 2 cents. i don't really need it, though my CA told me that he's adding the App to all the (other BMW) cars he orders for inventory now. it can be a deal breaker for some people, since it's not possible to add later.

the reason i don't like it is because u need to take the phone out of the case & put it into the holder to use it. for my daily commute i don't see the point at all.
Apps will work just fine with the white apple usb cable. That should save you the hassle of removing the case. Try it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

For iphone users I would strongly encourage Apps. It's cheap and you cant add it later on and who know what future applications will be available.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
I understand that Apps cannot be installed as an aftermarket option. Food for thought. Maybe someone can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
got it in mine
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I ordered it but didn't get to try it while on my ED because I didn't get a data plan for europe on my phone. I couldn't care less about Facebook and Twitter, but the web radio seemed like it might be cool, and hopefully since it's iOS compatible there will be more functions coming in the future. It would be great to be able to do a Google search right through the iDrive, any ideas if you can?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Am I wrong that you can still do the following without BMW Apps:
- Make/receive hands free phone calls (via Bluetooth)
- Access your phone book (via iPod Y cable)
- Listen to Pandora (via iPod Y cable/headphone jack)
- Listen to music on your iPhone (via iPod Y cable/headphone jack)
- Listen to music on a USB stick/iPod (via USB port)

If you can still do the above, then apps is purely a forward looking feature which at this point only provides a slicker user interface. So unless you plan on trolling Facebook or viewing album art while you're driving, you're paying $250 for the hope that sometime in the future some apps may be released that may be nice to have.

In response to those who are saying you save money because future apps will be cheap, just keep in mind the initial cost of the apps feature. So if you're only getting BMW apps for that yet-to-be-released $10 GPS app, then your cost for that app will actually be $250 (for BMW apps) + $10 (for the GPS app).

Not saying one shouldn't get it, but just want to make sure everyone is clear about the feature's added value vs. cost.

If you're going for a fully loaded car, though, I agree it doesn't make sense to not add this feature. If anything, it will ease future resale (which probably isn't an issue for the 1M anyways).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
In response to those who are saying you save money because future apps will be cheap, just keep in mind the initial cost of the apps feature. So if you're only getting BMW apps for that yet-to-be-released $10 GPS app, then your cost for that app will actually be $250 (for BMW apps) + $10 (for the GPS app).
By the same logic, Angry Brids actually costs you $199 + $0.99 + $90/month

because you had to buy a smartphone + app + a monthly plan.

Oh and you forgot the $50k + Insurance + Gasoline bill for the car.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Well, you have to get bluetooth/assist and idrive to get it. At this point you're paying around 3,000 bucks. 200 dollars for a something that is going to get better in the coming years is hardly worth losing sleep over.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

LOL - Angry Birds is quite worth that, given how much I play it. It's pretty much all I use my phone for.

But I'm pointing out for those who don't plan on using Facebook, etc., etc., and are buying it solely for a future GPS or race app - it's probably not worth it then.

Like I said, I agree with others who say $250 is "cheap" enough (funny how relative that word is) to just get it if you're already getting the satnav.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

Awesome rebuttal
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep

Quick question to those that have it: how does it come up?

I ordered it, the dealer says I have it, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere to be found. I donwloaded BMW connect to my iPhone, plugged it in and tried to pair, but... nope.

There's also no BMWConnected in the iDrive.

I have a horrible feeling they're having a laugh...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

This is a drivers car, bla bla bla bla......

Half the time I'm stuck in traffic, behind a tractor or learner drive or waiting at traffic lights.

At least reading FB and Twitter on the iDrive is (a bit) safer than checking the iPhone.

I personally love the tech in the 1M, I work in IT and am almost a geek.

Connected drive should be on the same menu as Navigation and Cd/Multimedia etc and you need to have the Connected drive app running on he iPhone so that the status is connected.

Under Connected drive on the screen you should then have BMW Apps under which will be FB, twitter and web radio.

You can read through all posts forwards and backwards whilst moving, seems like the only thing it won't do is page down.

Hope this helps

Mark.
Appreciate 0