BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
keinz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M ~ too be

Executive package or not

After an hour of viewing thread to thread couldnt find my answer, so i finally decided to open a new thread and ask

Currently have a 1M for production (production date is sept/oct)
I'm not looking to add any options as I don't really have a need for the 'electric memory seats' or dimming mirrors whatnot

but I have couple questions regarding the executive package

the standard sport seats and the executive package electric seats, what is the weight difference and do they look different at all?

also, I believe there is no iDrive if I do not opt for the executive package correct? because I saw there was no screen at all in this 1M in this video

thanks in advance for your answers

Last edited by keinz; 07-14-2011 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Seats should not look any different. Only difference is the added electrical side unit and wiring underneath. Weight difference should be minimal as it just includes wiring harnesses and motors.

iDrive support for NA is included in the "comfort package" which has the Nav. It is divided differently since power seating, auto mirrors are all on the "premium package".

You might be able to individually add certain parts of a package 'a la carte'.
      07-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
keinz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Seats should not look any different. Only difference is the added electrical side unit and wiring underneath. Weight difference should be minimal as it just includes wiring harnesses and motors.

iDrive support for NA is included in the "comfort package" which has the Nav. It is divided differently since power seating, auto mirrors are all on the "premium package".

I doubt the Canadian and US version is different? But there is no option for the "comfort package" in Canada.
The only packages to choose from is the Executive Package and Nav (GPS).
So I assume iDrive is standard?

Another question, I noticed that in the "executive package" it states that theres an "alarm system" included in the package, so if I dont opt for the "executive package" does my 1M come with no alarm?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

It's pretty much an all-or-nothing from my experience on both the website configurator and at the dealer. I was going to get the heated seats and iPod only. In order to get Bluetooth (my state has mandatory hands-free) and an alarm, I had to get both packages. I was considering an after-market alarm but I've heard horror stories about the installation on these cars. I figured that its best to have it all done at the factory and covered under the warranty. I'll probably never use the nav. I can tell you that the comfort access really grows on you. I had it in a Mini loaner and it was great.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

i believe I-drive is part of nav package.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
It's pretty much an all-or-nothing from my experience on both the website configurator and at the dealer. I was going to get the heated seats and iPod only. In order to get Bluetooth (my state has mandatory hands-free) and an alarm, I had to get both packages. I was considering an after-market alarm but I've heard horror stories about the installation on these cars. I figured that its best to have it all done at the factory and covered under the warranty. I'll probably never use the nav. I can tell you that the comfort access really grows on you. I had it in a Mini loaner and it was great.
Curious, what are your reasons for wanting the alarm system?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Electric seats sit higher by almost 1 1/2 inches has been reported. If you are tall or autocrosser with helmet, save the money and go for the lighter more sports oriented seats. Memory is very nice on the other hand and if you are average size and not really a performance junkie the power seats are fine. Personally, this car was about being as light as possible and people are adding all this stuff to the car. Doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Yeah I think I also read that you can sit lower in the car with the manual seat than with the electric seat. How much lower I have no idea, but if it’s really 1 ˝ inches lower, that's pretty good. Definitely something to think about if that matters to you.

I don’t plan on tracking the car, but I changed my order from fully loaded to no options whatsoever not too long ago. Not sure how much weight that saves though…
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
keinz
Enlisted Member
Rep

edited the first post since i posted the wrong video
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

i dunno... i really like the use of navigation, and the clip on ones are a pain in the butt... they get stolen a lot, so everytime you have to take it off, wipe the glass off, hide it etc... It is very unfortunate that you can't order the nav by itself... nav and heated seats are the only things i need, and can't be without. But because of the way it's configured, i am paying extra $5k, because i have to order all the packages... that's a lot...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
i dunno... i really like the use of navigation, and the clip on ones are a pain in the butt... they get stolen a lot, so everytime you have to take it off, wipe the glass off, hide it etc... It is very unfortunate that you can't order the nav by itself... nav and heated seats are the only things i need, and can't be without. But because of the way it's configured, i am paying extra $5k, because i have to order all the packages... that's a lot...
you must use that Nav screen A LOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M12Power View Post
Yeah I think I also read that you can sit lower in the car with the manual seat than with the electric seat. How much lower I have no idea, but if it’s really 1 ˝ inches lower, that's pretty good. Definitely something to think about if that matters to you.

I don’t plan on tracking the car, but I changed my order from fully loaded to no options whatsoever not too long ago. Not sure how much weight that saves though…
That's the way these things were really meant to be ordered. Dr. Kay in his video said, he guessed many would car guys would order it base. I think this car also has a potential to be a great SCCA car and down the road people will be looking for used ones that are NOT loaded for competition. Loaded ones will be common but base ones harder to find. For this type of car the lighter, the better plus I have read several reviews about the seats beeing too high, this is the case with power seats not manuals. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
That's the way these things were really meant to be ordered. Dr. Kay in his video said, he guessed many would car guys would order it base. I think this car also has a potential to be a great SCCA car and down the road people will be looking for used ones that are NOT loaded for competition. Loaded ones will be common but base ones harder to find. For this type of car the lighter, the better plus I have read several reviews about the seats beeing too high, this is the case with power seats not manuals. good luck.
stripped!!

Well.....ipod adapter. Whats that, 25grams? I'll skip coffee the morning of any track time

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
stripped!!

Well.....ipod adapter. Whats that, 25grams? I'll skip coffee the morning of any track time

LOL. I went with the ipod adapter and Bluetooth. Also have heated seats, which I may drop.. Just saw that goofy cupholder, and it reminds me of the one in my E30 M3... there isnt one, and I don't need one in the 1M either.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
LOL. I went with the ipod adapter and Bluetooth. Also have heated seats, which I may drop.. Just saw that goofy cupholder, and it reminds me of the one in my E30 M3... there isnt one, and I don't need one in the 1M either.
Heated seats OK IMO. IPod is fine too.

I did get Satellite as my only option, that stuff doesn't impact much, but power seats are a different animal plus all the other stuff that comes with it. I also don't like the holes in the rear bumpers from the PDC which are part of the package. I like my bumpers smooth!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Some of you might laugh, but I opted for the Premium mostly because I just wanted the lumbar support. I didn't want any other foofy stuff. And I definitely don't want the nav sitting up there like some cyclops.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Curious, what are your reasons for wanting the alarm system?
Well, when fiat currency is worthless and I have to use gold bars to buy gas, I figure it might be worth it.

Joking...I know how hard it is to steal a BMW (or Mini) and my DD really only goes from my secured garage to another secured parking lot. However, my logic is that this is a special car and therefore should have a commensurate security system just as a deterrent to theft, vandalism, or other random jackassery. The economy is in the crapper and I can only see it getting worse. If history is any indication, jealous dole-sucking proles express their ire at the more fortunate by unpredictable and often destructive means.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Well, when fiat currency is worthless and I have to use gold bars to buy gas, I figure it might be worth it.

Joking...I know how hard it is to steal a BMW (or Mini) and my DD really only goes from my secured garage to another secured parking lot. However, my logic is that this is a special car and therefore should have a commensurate security system just as a deterrent to theft, vandalism, or other random jackassery. The economy is in the crapper and I can only see it getting worse. If history is any indication, jealous dole-sucking proles express their ire at the more fortunate by unpredictable and often destructive means.
I know what you are saying but it does have an immobilizer so 'hot-wiring' is not possible. As far as vandalism goes, a $5 alarm sticker is just as effective as an alarm system these days. I would spend the money on a more comprehensive insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

I have great insurance. I'm just OCD when it comes to my rides. I probably could have skipped the alarm and comfort access but when it came right down to it, I figured that full options were better than less, and that it couldn't hurt the re-sale. That comfort access really was addictive and I don't think I will regret my decision.

I know I also said I'd never use the nav function, but I get the feeling that it might save my bacon at some point. When I get the car, I'm going to take it on a little 1200 mile road trip to San Fran or Vancouver BC and my AT&T-based iPhone doesn't have the greatest reliability with GPS when on the move.

Last edited by Dee Pee; 07-14-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0