E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How to center the steering rack?

07-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

How to center the steering rack?

My steering rack isn't centered so I experience bump steer to the 1 o'clock position over bumps. This occured because I hit a curb lightly, no other components are damaged or bent and the alingment fixed any other issues. I feel like my wheel position moved with respect to the rack -- it is no longer centered.

I need to know how to center the rack back to neutral.

Is it possible to remove the steering wheel, place it at 1'oclock and re-align the car's toe so it tracks straight.

Or is it more complexl than that?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I'm not sure how to center the steering rack but regarding your steering wheel idea, the steering wheel is keyed so it only fits in one position. You can't arbitrarily place it at any angle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

To re-center the steering you need to adjust the toe on each side (with the steering wheels centered) until the wheels are centered. That's the only way.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

That's been done. The steering wheel is centered but the steering racks center position is at 1 o'clock.

My steering experiences bump steer like symptoms. The wheel always wants to center at 1 oclock even though the car tracks straight with the wheel at 12
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

It's an alignment problem. There's no wheel position adjustment. You can only adjust it with toe. If you car turns left when it's centered you need to toe-in the left and toe out the right. Or something is bent.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
It's an alignment problem. There's no wheel position adjustment. You can only adjust it with toe. If you car turns left when it's centered you need to toe-in the left and toe out the right. Or something is bent.
So...my car actually tracks straight when the wheel is centered.

However, going over bumps my wheel always wants to return to the 1oclock position AND...if I let go of the wheel, my wheel will slowly drift to the 1oclock position (and obviously the car will start to drift right) -- recall that when the wheel is centered the car tracks straight and does not drift or deviate...the steering just wants to go to 1olclock (ie. to the right all the time, irrespective of crown)

Also if I accelerate wide open throttle and let go of the wheel...my steering wheel will cock itself to the 1'oclock position and the car will obviously deviate to the right.

Any thoughts on what this is? My alignments show that my suspension components are not bent; caster and camber are in spec, and toe is easily adjustable.

I did hit a curb and this has been a symptom since then, it was a small hit; but nothing can be picked up as bent.

Last edited by TheRox; 07-19-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Do you have Active Steering? If so, it needs to be calibrated after an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Do you have Active Steering? If so, it needs to be calibrated after an alignment.
no, i have regular steering
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
jamestada
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40 (ordered)

I'm interested how to resolve this also, same issue. Holding the steering wheel at 12' is fine and there is no need to counter steer past that. However, letting go allows the car to go right. Got an alignment, they advised it was due to "radial pull" so I got the front tires replaced and I still have the issue.

Thinking of going to the dealer to get the alignment done and forking out the 400 price tag for the service but not sure if that will solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'd definitely suspect something is bent and/or moved and the alignment (even if the figures appear OK) are not reflecting a true alignment. I assume by alignment you mean a full geo', starting with the rear?

Certainly not a steering wheel to rack fix, That's a definite no no.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestada View Post
I'm interested how to resolve this also, same issue. Holding the steering wheel at 12' is fine and there is no need to counter steer past that. However, letting go allows the car to go right. Got an alignment, they advised it was due to "radial pull" so I got the front tires replaced and I still have the issue.

Thinking of going to the dealer to get the alignment done and forking out the 400 price tag for the service but not sure if that will solve the issue.
I'm confused as well.

I even went and inspected my inner tie rod, it does not appear grossly bent, wheels are not an issue as this occurs on different sets.

It is the last component I can logically think of that could've been the problem.

No suspension components are bent (control arms, struts, inner and outer tie rods).

I don't know the state of the steering column or rack...but its unlikely to have been damaged.

what else could it possibly be?

I also went and forced my steering wheel to centre at 2 oclock...but adjust my tie rods, now the wheel doesn't shimmy on bumps, it just sits as 2 oclock, happy that it is the center. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd definitely suspect something is bent and/or moved and the alignment (even if the figures appear OK) are not reflecting a true alignment. I assume by alignment you mean a full geo', starting with the rear?

Certainly not a steering wheel to rack fix, That's a definite no no.

HighlandPete
This is what is happening.

I just can't identify the cause. as per my above post, even my inner tie rod is undamaged.
Appreciate 0